Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wade over Ray? Not in my opinion. Ray is the 2nd greatest 3 point shooter in history. Why do so many people refuse to give our players the respect they should ge given?
Absolutely, that's not even close

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Wade over Ray? Not in my opinion. Ray is the 2nd greatest 3 point shooter in history. Why do so many people refuse to give our players the respect they should ge given?

Saying Dwyane Wade is better than Ray isn’t disrespectful to Ray. Wade was an exceptional player.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
MVPs have to be atop everyone else here. AI has one and he also carried a team to the Finals.

The MVP would make him #1 to me over Ewing.

Reaction Score
My opinion in terms of 'best' being most highly regarded by public at-large
1. Patrick Ewing - consistently good though not great Knicks teams stopped by Jordan
2. Allen Iverson - MVP, huge rep, don't let his late career swoon taint
3. Carmelo Anthony - scoring, won lots of Olympics
4. Ray Allen - if it wasn't for his apexes in obscurity of Milwaukee & Seattle perception would be higher
5. Chris Mullen - might have been #2 if quit booze earlier
Defensive: Mutombo
Assists/PG: Mark Jackson (Jalen Brunson gaining?)
Longest Playing Career: Cliff Robinson
Honorable Mentions: RIP, Mourning

I wouldn't rate either Iverson or Carmelo's careers as better than Ray's but their apexes and public perceptions were higher, i.e. I'd bet more/higher all NBA teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Best player in the history of the BE or best player in the NBA from the BE?

Reaction Score
MVPs have to be atop everyone else here. AI has one and he also carried a team to the Finals.

You may be right, besides the MVP at quick glance Iverson had more first team all-nba's both won ROY, Iverson with scoring titles and other accolades that surpass Ewing's trophy case. Its very close though as though neither's teams won it all, Ewing's were consistently better and modern analysis of Iverson's usage and efficiency aren't helpful to his case.

Reaction Score
Saying Dwyane Wade is better than Ray isn’t disrespectful to Ray. Wade was an exceptional player.
Not disrespecting Wade at all. Ray was an all time great and some here don’t get that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
While at a bar over the weekend was talking to my PC fan buddy about how Ray was at the game on Friday. That conversation eventually evolved into who is the best NBA player to ever come out of the big east. I'll preface by saying we are in our mid 30s so not overly savvy on 80s early 90s BE but our list came down to four names Ray, Ewing, Iverson, and Melo. I'm sure we likely forgot people but who does the yard think is the best NBA player to come out of the BE.

Upon reading the thread title, I immediately thought Ewing

Reaction Score
Mullin from SJ deserves a mention.

Ray has 2 NBA Championships, but my gut says Ewing is the correct answer.
Don’t forget mark Jackson and
Top 5
1. Patrick Ewing
2. Ray Allen
3. Chris Mullin
4. Carmelo Anthony
5. Allen Iverson

HMs: Mutombo, Wade, Rip, Mourning
mark jackson as well really changed that Indy team.

Reaction Score
Not to take a left turn on the thread topic, but I'm curious - is there anyone besides Carmelo who is considered a "great" (or even a very good) who came out of Syracuse? It's shocking how few have had an impact in the NBA besides Carmelo. Just asking since I love rubbing Cuse fans' noses in anything possible...

Was thinking maybe Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, and Hakim Warrick? They were all a while ago so I'm not sure of their NBA careers, but the amount of UCONN alums in the NBA who have had solid to very good to great careers seems exponentially higher... who wanted to play crap zone their entire college career anyway???

They had a few guys in the 2010s who people thought were going to be good and then stunk, Wes Johnson, Johnny Flynn, Fab Melo (RIP). UConn has had more overall but there was a bit of a drought of anyone coming out since Drummond (and even with him) having much success. Hawkins though looks to be a true star, and hopefully Andre will stick around for a while.

Reaction Score

And led the league in scoring hit like 8 years in a row. Or something.

Reaction Score
It's either Ewing or Iverson, and it depends on how you define "best."

Best pure basketball ability? Iverson.

Most beneficial piece to a winning team? Ewing.

Allen is close behind those two.

Melo right after him.
Best pure basketball ability? Iverson. Iverson was incredibly talented for his size, but was famously allergic to practice.

Reaction Score
My first thought is Ewing, AI, Melo, Mullin and then everyone else. I obviously love Ray, but those four to me are at a tier above Ray. Ewing and AI were 7-time All-NBA players, Melo 6, Mullin 4. Ray had two. I feel like prime Mullin in GS were better than Ray's years in relative obscurity in Milwaukee and Seattle. Also, Wade is a tier above Ray. That's not an insult. Wade is probably the best two guard of all-time not named Jordan or Kobe.

Reaction Score
Seems like a top 5 that can get a lot of agreement. Uncle Cliff is close to an all-time top 50 in points scored with almost 20k points and is up there of players from the Big East.

Reaction Score
My first thought is Ewing, AI, Melo, Mullin and then everyone else. I obviously love Ray, but those four to me are at a tier above Ray. Ewing and AI were 7-time All-NBA players, Melo 6, Mullin 4. Ray had two. I feel like prime Mullin in GS were better than Ray's years in relative obscurity in Milwaukee and Seattle. Also, Wade is a tier above Ray. That's not an insult. Wade is probably the best two guard of all-time not named Jordan or Kobe.
I've got Ray over Mullin and over Melo. Yep, Ray isn't close to Wade and I agree Wade is the third best shooting guard ever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Iverson is not on the top assist list
What a surprise
/s

Whether one likes the stat or not, I'm gonna list the top BE guys on NBA win share:
1. Allen (145)
2. Ewing (126)
3. Motumbo (117)
4. Anthony (109)
5. Iverson (99)
6. Mullen (93)
7. Jackson (92)
8. Mourning (90)
9. Uncle Cliffy (90)

I'll go with that.

Reaction Score
What a surprise
/s

Whether one likes the stat or not, I'm gonna list the top BE guys on NBA win share:
1. Allen (145)
2. Ewing (126)
3. Motumbo (117)
4. Anthony (109)
5. Iverson (99)
6. Mullen (93)
7. Jackson (92)
8. Mourning (90)
9. Uncle Cliffy (90)

I'll go with that.
That's pretty silly, Ray played with much better players than Iverson did.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ray Allen

1st ballot HOF
2nd in 3 point FGs made
2 rings

Nobody compares with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online