Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the clear answer is Ewing. Followed by Ray, AI, Mullin, Melo, and probably Rip and D. Coleman in some order. If you count Marquette, DWade jumps to second.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He carried a very mid Philly team to the Finals. His Philly teams were adequate at best.
One year. And the East was horrible that year. Philly beat a lousy Celtics team in the Conference finals. Never did a thing since.

Poe

Reaction Score
Not to take a left turn on the thread topic, but I'm curious - is there anyone besides Carmelo who is considered a "great" (or even a very good) who came out of Syracuse? It's shocking how few have had an impact in the NBA besides Carmelo. Just asking since I love rubbing Cuse fans' noses in anything possible...

Was thinking maybe Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, and Hakim Warrick? They were all a while ago so I'm not sure of their NBA careers, but the amount of UCONN alums in the NBA who have had solid to very good to great careers seems exponentially higher... who wanted to play crap zone their entire college career anyway???
Devendorf

Reaction Score
One year. And the East was horrible that year. Philly beat a lousy Celtics team in the Conference finals. Never did a thing since.
No they didn't. Philly beat the Bucks with Ray, Big Dog, and Cassell in the Conference finals.

Reaction Score
He was on mostly mediocre to adequate teams, as I said.

That was also a historic playoff run. Then he averaged 36ppg in the finals against that great Lakers team. This is a silly argument.

Poe

Reaction Score
What a surprise
/s

Whether one likes the stat or not, I'm gonna list the top BE guys on NBA win share:
1. Allen (145)
2. Ewing (126)
3. Motumbo (117)
4. Anthony (109)
5. Iverson (99)
6. Mullen (93)
7. Jackson (92)
8. Mourning (90)
9. Uncle Cliffy (90)

I'll go with that.
Here’s the Hall of Fame Probability score from Basketball Reference:

Wade - 1.000 (not BE, but including for comparison)
Iverson - 0.9998
Ewing - 0.9994
Allen - 0.9987
Anthony - 0.9842
Mutumbo - 0.9691
Mourning - 0.9310
Lowry - 0.8574
Mullin - 0.4492 (yikes)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He was on mostly mediocre to adequate teams, as I said.

That was also a historic playoff run. Then he averaged 36ppg in the finals against that great Lakers team. This is a silly argument.
No, it isn't. All he has is that one playoff run. The mediocre teams were a self-fulfilling prophecy. A team with him is only going go so far. Like Harden. Look how bad his career ended. People wanted to give him a chance, if he'd only play team ball. But he was physically unable to.

Reaction Score
It has to be Ewing #1. He's an all-time great. Can't punish him for not winning a championship, he never really had a top-notch running mate and John Starks' horrible shooting night in game six in 94 cost him a championship, plus Ewing was a victim of the Jordan's dominance when it comes to championships.

Last time I checked Dwayne Wade never played in the Big East so we can stop that nonsense.

Reaction Score
No, it isn't. All he has is that one playoff run. The mediocre teams were a self-fulfilling prophecy. A team with him is only going go so far. Like Harden. Look how bad his career ended. People wanted to give him a chance, if he'd only play team ball. But he was physically unable to.

LOL at "team ball". The NBA of that age was an isolation league. Everyone was playing the same style, and the good teams had more than one guy. The Sixers didn't.

Reaction Score
Harden won 2 MVP’s averaged 36 ppg and has been mostly quite efficient. That Rockets teams also woulda beaten the Warriors if CP3 doesn’t get hurt. However you feel about Harden now shouldn’t matter, he has an all time peak and is arguably the 3rd greatest SG ever.

You’re putting your personal feelings ahead of stats/accolades. I’m not a huge AI or Harden guy, but the facts are the facts.

Reaction Score
It has to be Ewing #1. He's an all-time great. Can't punish him for not winning a championship, he never really had a top-notch running mate and John Starks' horrible shooting night in game six in 94 cost him a championship, plus Ewing was a victim of the Jordan's dominance when it comes to championships.

Last time I checked Dwayne Wade never played in the Big East so we can stop that nonsense.
Ewing also never would've sniffed that finals if Jordan's dad wasn't murdered and he didn't go play baseball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ewing and Iverson had the best NBA careers out of all BE college players.

Ewing has the most points of any BE player. Him Iverson and Allen are separated by just a few points.

Ewing and Iverson both were 11 times all-star and 7 time all-NBA. Ewing was 3-time all defense, Iverson led the league in steals 3 times. Both were NBA 75th anniversary team.

Iverson four scoring titles. Iverson NBA finals once. Ewing never led any statistical category and made one final.

Ray comes in #3. Leaving the league as the all-time 3point king and being a key player on two different championship teams with two different groups of players is huge.

1701120291323.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
LOL at "team ball". The NBA of that age was an isolation league. Everyone was playing the same style, and the good teams had more than one guy. The Sixers didn't.
I remember guys like you telling me I didn't understand iso ball when Ollie was the coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You’re putting your personal feelings ahead of stats/accolades. I’m not a huge AI or Harden guy, but the facts are the facts.
I know statheads love those two guys but I also know that if you have a guy like that on your team you don't win.

Reaction Score
Ewing and Iverson had the best NBA careers out of all BE college players.

Ewing has the most points of any BE player. Him Iverson and Allen are separated by just a few points.

Ewing and Iverson both were 11 times all-star and 7 time all-NBA. Ewing was 3-time all defense, Iverson led the league in steals 3 times. Both were NBA 75th anniversary team.

Iverson four scoring titles. Iverson NBA finals once. Ewing never led any statistical category and made one final.

Ray comes in #3. Leaving the league as the all-time 3point king and being a key player on two different championship teams with two different groups of players is huge.

View attachment 93469
You're forgetting about Carmelo Anthony.

Reaction Score
I know statheads love those two guys but I also know that if you have a guy like that on your team you don't win.
Winning isn’t the only criteria. Pat never won either. Get past that and get to accomplishments, ability and stats.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Winning isn’t the only criteria. Pat never won either. Get past that and get to accomplishments, ability and stats.
You give no weight to team play, in fact you mock it. It's a team game. Iverson couldn't even get to the gold medal game in the Olympics. His boosters were blaming the other players on the team for that one, too.

Reaction Score
You give no weight to team play, in fact you mock it. It's a team game. Iverson couldn't even get to the gold medal game in the Olympics. His boosters were blaming the other players on the team for that one, too.
Bringing the Olympics into is again is just silly and unrelated. This is an NBA career question. Not how many championships won, not how many medals, not anything else. Ability, influence, accolades, stats, impact combined. You’re hung up on AI being a shoot first guy. Just look at what he’s done compared to the others. It’s really simple enough.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You're forgetting about Carmelo Anthony.

Sorry, not sorry. I meant to use that list to differentiate between Ewing AI and Ray who I think are heads and shoulders above anyone else. I should have mentioned Melo has most points.

Melo is a nothing burger to me. He's Alex English, Dan Issel, Adrian Dantley or Mark Aguirre. And it hurts to type that because I liked English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom