Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The mental gymnastics people go through on here to prove their bias is pretty funny. AI is simply a better player than Ray in NBA history.
For me, AI had the most natural talent for breaking down defenses and getting looks of any player coming out of the BE I think that's not even a debate. But I think there's more to "best player" than that. Longevity matters some. Defense matters more than just some (or at least getting thisclose more than once). Rings matter some. Melding with teammates matters some. Helping make everyone else better matters some. Being coachable matters some. At least to me. YMMV, and it seems it does.

Reaction Score
For me, AI had the most natural talent for breaking down defenses and getting looks of any player coming out of the BE I think that's not even a debate. But I think there's more to "best player" than that. Longevity matters some. Defense matters more than just some. Rings matter some. Melding with teammates matters some. Helping make everyone else better matters some. Being coachable matters some. At least to me. YMMV, and it seems it does.
AI wasn’t a great defender due to size but he led the league in steals 3 times, that counts for something.

Also, he never really had a good team in Philly, that plays a role as well. Ray had personal accolades on mediocre-to-good teams and then got the team accomplishments when he joined the C’s juggernaut.

Reaction Score
It’s Mullin not Jeff Mullins
Come on, we can't even spell the names of UConn's 12 current scholarship players correctly. You expect us to spell the names of guys that played on other Big East teams 40 years ago correctly? :)

Reaction Score
I think AI would be holding on to the rock too long in any era.
it's fair to say AI would be ball dominant because there's still guys playing heliocentric ball in today's game but folks have to understand efficiency was impacted playing in that era as a 6'0" guard with the lack of spacing and playing next to several non-shooters and scoring threats

Reaction Score
Except for the Mullin part, I lend to agree. Mullin was good, but I never thought he was great.
I hate Georgetown like many of you hate my Orange but the only player I ever knew was better than our guys was Ewing. If you never saw him live, and I saw every player in the old Big East live since it was formed, Ewing was the most intimidating, hardest to handle, scariest I saw. I hated that guy, the only guy I hated more was his coach.

Reaction Score
To me it's Ewing. I was never a big fan of AI's game but he has to be #2. Ray is probably third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom