Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East | The Boneyard

Best NBA Player to Come Out of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While at a bar over the weekend was talking to my PC fan buddy about how Ray was at the game on Friday. That conversation eventually evolved into who is the best NBA player to ever come out of the big east. I'll preface by saying we are in our mid 30s so not overly savvy on 80s early 90s BE but our list came down to four names Ray, Ewing, Iverson, and Melo. I'm sure we likely forgot people but who does the yard think is the best NBA player to come out of the BE.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’d give Alonzo Mourning a mention as well.
Except that he wasn't as good as Ewing.

The top Big East scorer all time is Carmelo Anthony. Ewing is next.
Iverson is not on the top assist list, but Mark Jackson is 6th.
Mutumbo (#2), Ewing (#7) and Mourning (#11) are top 25 in blocks. Ewing and Mutumbo are on the rebounds list.

Reaction Score
Except that he wasn't as good as Ewing.

The top Big East scorer all time is Carmelo Anthony. Ewing is next.
Iverson is not on the top assist list, but Mark Jackson is 6th.
Mutumbo (#2), Ewing (#7) and Mourning (#11) are top 25 in blocks. Ewing and Mutumbo are on the rebounds list.
I agree - heck MJ even said he’d pick Ewing as the guy (excluding himself) that he would start a team with. I just said a mention - I don’t think Mourning was as good as Ewing.

Reaction Score
It's either Ewing or Iverson, and it depends on how you define "best."

Best pure basketball ability? Iverson.

Most beneficial piece to a winning team? Ewing.

Allen is close behind those two.

Melo right after him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ewing was a 4 year impact player in BE when schools were dominated by upper classes.

3 FF's . One win against Houston and Olajuwon. Two of the most iconic losses in chip game.

He's a clear #1.

You can argue over Mullin, Allen, Anthony and Iverson between 2-5 and I say it's a distinction without a difference.

I do think Mullin is better than most here give him credit for being in both college and the pros.

Reaction Score
Ewing was a 4 year impact player in BE when schools were dominated by upper classes.

3 FF's . One win against Houston and Olajuwon. Two of the most iconic losses in chip game.

He's a clear #1.

You can argue over Mullin, Allen, Anthony and Iverson between 2-5 and I say it's a distinction without a difference.

I do think Mullin is better than most here give him credit for being in both college and the pros.
The topic was best NBA player to come out of the Big East, not best player in the Big East.

Reaction Score

He's a clear #1.

Isn't the debate the best NBA player to have played in the Big East? I don't think college career is really relevant to that.

That said, I would also go with Ewing.

Reaction Score
The best NBA players to come out of the Big East, in order of NBA accomplishment were...

1- Patrick Ewing.
2- Ray Allen
3- Allen Iverson
4- Richard "Rip" Hamilton
4- Malik Sealy

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not to take a left turn on the thread topic, but I'm curious - is there anyone besides Carmelo who is considered a "great" (or even a very good) who came out of Syracuse? It's shocking how few have had an impact in the NBA besides Carmelo. Just asking since I love rubbing Cuse fans' noses in anything possible...

Was thinking maybe Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, and Hakim Warrick? They were all a while ago so I'm not sure of their NBA careers, but the amount of UCONN alums in the NBA who have had solid to very good to great careers seems exponentially higher... who wanted to play crap zone their entire college career anyway???

Reaction Score
The best NBA players to come out of the Big East, in order of NBA accomplishment were...

1- Patrick Ewing.
2- Ray Allen
3- Allen Iverson
4- Richard "Rip" Hamilton
4- Malik Sealy
The top 3 order doesn’t really make sense. If you’re weighing Championships to the highest degree (which I would disagree with being the case) Ray should be first. If not, Ewing and AI should be 1a-1b.

Reaction Score

He's a clear #1.

The question was who is the best NBA player to come out of the Big East.

Reaction Score
Iverson. If we're including schools in the Big East now, Wade.
Wade over Ray? Not in my opinion. Ray is the 2nd greatest 3 point shooter in history. Why do so many people refuse to give our players the respect they should ge given?

Reaction Score
In no particular order -
Ray ray
Ewing
Iverson
Melo (even tho only stayed a year)
Mullin
Also , (Kerry kittles, Lawrence moten, Pearl Washington -if you are talking just great big east players)

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Let's keep it to players who played in the Big East. No offense to Wade but he didn't play in the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom