So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Meh- if Frosh entered college at age 21 or the drinking age was still 18, then I would question what the fuss is all about. But as it stands now most students aren't of legal drinking until (if I'm counting on my fingers correctly) their senior year. So, probably better to stay away from the beer adds.

Alternatively, why not save the sign and slap the Boneyard logo up there?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The NCAA nailed Geno and UConn because of the "Hungry Huskies'! Just imagine what they'll do to UConn over the issue of the 'Thirsty Huskies"!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IMG should have known better. At best it should have said Husky fans love the cold.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMG should have known better. At best it should have said Husky fans love the cold.
Yeah, not seeing the issue Ice. It's a play on words about our mascot. We serve beer at the games but we can't have our logo in a beer ad?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We serve beer at the games but we can't have our logo in a beer ad?
Yep, that's pretty much it.

At best it should have said Husky fans love the cold.
Might have been able to get away with that one. ummm, maybe.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
nice but not what UConn needs for ads (LINK)

We have so many other serious problems like unemployment and the Ct economy, and we focus on a beer billboard. Get the concept behind the Roman circuses?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Might have been able to get away with that one. ummm, maybe.
Using Husky fans it would refer directly to those able to buy at games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, not seeing the issue Ice. It's a play on words about our mascot. We serve beer at the games but we can't have our logo in a beer ad?
Being in the plural it isn't a play on the mascot. The teams themselves are referred to as Huskies, the mascot is Jonathan Husky singular.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
IMO it's a stupid, politically correct, let's-not-ruffle-any-feathers approach. The billboard is harmless. It does not endorse drinking. The fact is people drink beer. People like UConn. UConn can make some money linking the two. The ad does not promote drinking and will not turn student teetotalers into drunks. It's just popular to be anti-alcohol. And it's easier to defend anti-alcohol than to defend reasonable imbibing. So you can't win and we move on.

Frankly, I think the bigger offense here is that the University is only getting $8 million for all of those endorsements – that's a bad deal for UConn. IMG is making a killing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Being in the plural it isn't a play on the mascot. The teams themselves are referred to as Huskies, the mascot is Jonathan Husky singular.
I think it was refering to the breed. Huskies like the cold, and I'm sure they do, ducks like water, etc. FWIW, if the ad was "Jonathan the Husky likes a cold brew every now again," I'd find that a bit more problematic.

I don't see the beer ad as an issue in the least but obviously others do.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
When its all about the money, its all about the money.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Using Husky fans it would refer directly to those able to buy at games.
Well at least a higher percentage than Huskies. Still not all. It's all about what percentage makes it ok. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IMO it's a stupid, politically correct, let's-not-ruffle-any-feathers approach.
ummm, maybe.

It does not endorse drinking. ...The ad does not promote drinking
Yea, it does. If it didn't they wouldn't waste money advertising.

It's just popular to be anti-alcohol.
Not really. It's just better to not be hypocritical. Tell the underage students not to drink, then turn around and put up an ad promoting drinking.

Frankly, I think the bigger offense here is that the University is only getting $8 million for all of those endorsements – that's a bad deal for UConn. IMG is making a killing.
Now that is a good point.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We have so many other serious problems like unemployment and the Ct economy, and we focus on a beer billboard post on college sports message board. Get the concept behind the Roman circuses?

Let's not take ourselves too seriously.

It was a bad marketing idea, but it's not the end of the world. They should have at least consulted the school first.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
ummm, maybe.

Yea, it does. If it didn't they wouldn't waste money advertising.

Not really. It's just better to not be hypocritical. Tell the underage students not to drink, then turn around and put up an ad promoting drinking.

Now that is a good point.

The ad does not endorse drinking. It endorses drinking Coors Light. There is a difference. It doesn't say, hey, you need to get a buzz and drinking feels good. The ad does not promote drinking. It promotes Coors Light for people who choose to drink. That's why I followed my statement by saying it wouldn't turn teetotalers to drunks. Who is being hypocritical? It's not an ad for students to drink on campus. Everyone knows the liquor laws and the consequences of drinking. There is plenty of messaging on campus and through student communications that make drinking policies clear. We live in a society that accepts and markets alcohol just about everywhere. Beer is sold at XL center games and football games. Any reasonable person would see that this ad is not a call for students to drink. And it it popular to be anti-alcohol -- campaigns by organizations like MADD and SADD have affected thinking beyond drunk driving. I'm not saying that's good or bad. It just is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom