August WNBA thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Speaking of the Dream, Howard will undoubtedly win ROY in unanimous or unanimous•ish fashion. I do not think she deserves it -- based on advanced metrics (especially shooting, defense, & production per minute) and my eye test. I think we will see this player pass her SEC conference mate, Howard, in the future (not to the same extent that Aari has surpassed her PAC 12 conference mate, Onyenwere, already) and become an all-star caliber force. I'm interested in @TerpWomenFan opinion for obvious reasons (college & pro perspective).

Disclosure: I thought that Nalyssa would win ROY, but I failed to take into account (amongst other things) her highly physical, nonstop high energy exertion for both a shorthanded Baylor squad and then with the Fever after a quick turnaround, seemed to wear her down a bit.
I happen to think Howard, Smith, and Austin all have all-star potential. They are just in very different situations.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I would have voted for Smith a month ago, but now I'd vote for Austin. I've never been a fan of players who score a lot by taking a lot of shots, plus Austin seems to have kept her edge late in the season, where Howard is tailing off and Smith has absolutely dropped off a cliff.

But then I would have voted for Kiah Stokes over Jewell Loyd (and based on their rookie seasons, I still would).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
NY bench trying to carry them to a victory. They have scored 41 of their 58 points. Whitcomb w/ 15 and Johannes w/ 11. Up by 7 late in Q3 over Dallas.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
NY bench trying to carry them to a victory. They have scored 41 of their 58 points. Whitcomb w/ 15 and Johannes w/ 11. Up by 7 late in Q3 over Dallas.
Sabrina completely taking over 3rd Q with 11 pts (8 reb. 6 assists) after 0 pt first half. Triple double watch? Did Crystal get pulled or injured? Only 5 minutes playing time.

Reaction Score
What does this mean? She is sitting out for no reason?
Diggins-Smith (personal) won't play Wednesday against the Lynx, Mitchell Hansen of ZoneCoverage.com reports.

Reaction Score
Diggins-Smith (personal) won't play Wednesday against the Lynx, Mitchell Hansen of ZoneCoverage.com reports.
To play or not to play looks like we have our answer

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Naphessa does not have it so far in the 1st half. Since I am a Liberty fan, have to root against the Lynx.

Reaction Score
My beloved Minnesota Lynx holds on to get the win against Phoenix. We also sweep the season series. Napheesa is doing okay out there. I was worried at first (game pace and getting into the flow of things), but she seems to be holding her own out there and playing decently. Great win, Minnesota.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
4 teams tied at 14-20 w/ 2 games to play. Who wants to get in the post season? LA isn't mathematically eliminated probably at 13-21, but really hard to see them getting ahead of 4 teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
4 teams tied at 14-20 w/ 2 games to play. Who wants to get in the post season? LA isn't mathematically eliminated probably at 13-21, but really hard to see them getting ahead of 4 teams.
MN with Seattle (home) and CT (Road) as their last 2 games seem to have the hardest 2 games left.
Liberty and Atlanta play a 1-1 against each other. Pheonix has Dallas and Chi at home

Phoenix looks pretty dysfunctional.

Maybe Atlanta and NY enter a pact and split the series and make the playoffs. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
ESPN should do a 30 for 30 on the 2022 Phoenix Mercury. The squad had so much hype entering the year and the drama/fallout from this season has been unlike anything I've seen before.

Reaction Score
MN with Seattle (home) and CT (Road) as their last 2 games seem to have the hardest 2 games left.
Liberty and Atlanta play a 1-1 against each other. Pheonix has Dallas and Chi at home

Maybe Atlanta and NY enter a pact and split the series and make the playoffs. ;)
whoever wins Friday's game Sunday the team will rest starters most likely.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Surprised no mention of Moriah's career Assist night (12 assists vs 2TO)

Highlight clip. Syl enjoying some heavy dining from Chef Jefferson

Pay special attention to an absolute dime lob pass to Syl to put the first nail in coffin and than a sweet mid range jumper for the last nail in deep.

Reaction Score

i thought SEA (and WASH) were locked into 4th and 5th respectively. led me to believe SEA would not be going 100% on friday.
and then hopefully CT would be locked into their seed on sunday... clearly me rooting for MIN

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
i thought SEA (and WASH) were locked into 4th and 5th respectively. led me to believe SEA would not be going 100% on friday.
and then hopefully CT would be locked into their seed on sunday... clearly me rooting for MIN
I did not take opponents resting players so that is a factor. Got to admit this is a very exciting race,

Reaction Score
Naphessa does not have it so far in the 1st half. Since I am a Liberty fan, have to root against the Lynx.
Maybe not during the first, but she had a good performance for her second game back. Played about 20 minutes as well. So far so good considering the situation.

Reaction Score
Seattle still needs one win (assuming that the Mystics take care of Indy) to have the 1st 2 games home vs Washington.

Reaction Score

NY has the tiebreaker over Atlanta based on wins vs teams with a winning record. Minnesota has tiebreaker over everybody. Atlanta has tiebreaker over Phoenix. Phoenix has tiebreaker over NY.

LA needs to beat CT & Dallas, Minnesota to lose both, Atlanta or NY to sweep the other, & Phoenix to lose both (possibly once depending on what Dallas does to impact the 2nd tiebreaker between LA & Phoenix) -- not happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
whoever wins Friday's game Sunday the team will rest starters most likely.
1 victory probably won't clinch. Will be enough after Sunday's results if both Phoenix & Minnesota lose their final 2 games

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm.

I am not usually a fan of the drama, but am intrigued here. Last night was one of the most crucial and winnable games. Ordinarily I would give the player the benefit of the doubt, but based on @azfan 's astute posts, I cannot here.

Also, I was asked about possible MIP candidates a few days ago and I mentioned Young, Plum, & Ionescu. I read this elsewhere, but Cunningham has to be in the mix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom