August WNBA thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Now it looks like Copper and Young are having a scoring duel. 24 and 22 respectively. Plum has 21. Aces by 10 thru Q3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What in the world? Stokes has 9 points. That's probably pretty close to her season total prior to this game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And just like that, the Aces are tied w/ the Sky for the best record w/ 1 game left. And they managed to beat Chicago w/ both Wilson and Gray having an off game. 25 and 22 for Plum and Young. Copper finished w/ 28.

Reaction Score
well that puts a ribbon on a season that me and sparks fans glad to see be done with. Cancer Cambage hopefully you never play in the Wnba again. Phoenix Mercury also look done as I see Skylar is missing final 2 games due to personal reasons. Congrats to Liberty and Dream, they finished the season strong both deserve to be in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
well that puts a ribbon on a season that me and sparks fans glad to see be done with. Cancer Cambage hopefully you never play in the Wnba again. Phoenix Mercury also look done as I see Skylar is missing final 2 games due to personal reasons. Congrats to Liberty and Dream, they finished the season strong both deserve to be in.
Sparks lose their draft pick next year also to the Dream. Fisher got this team into a mess.

Reaction Score
And just like that, the Aces are tied w/ the Sky for the best record w/ 1 game left. And they managed to beat Chicago w/ both Wilson and Gray having an off game. 25 and 22 for Plum and Young. Copper finished w/ 28.
Agree that A'ja had an off game, but she did contribute 4 steals and 2 blocks. Sloot had as many turnovers (6) as points. Didn't look good in Commissioner's Cup game either (was coming off an injury then).

Reaction Score
Don't count out the Lynx just yet. They have a huge home game (Syl's final game there) vs. the Storm tonight and @ CT (who is locked into the #3 seed vs. Dallas 1st round, so they might rest their incredible 4 front courters) on Sunday. If Phoenix loses w/o DT, SDS, etc., MN (has tiebreaker over Phoenix, ATL, & NY) needs 1 win or an Atlanta sweep or NY sweep. Not saying that they'll make it for sure, but definitely have a shot.

If the Dream win 2 they're in and if 0, they're out. If they win 1, they either need MN to lose both or Phoenix to win exactly 1, but not 0 or 2.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No game threads. I know you know that

Reaction Score
But if you are looking for someone who is always going to give her all and never quit, that's _______

We know that this is not referring to Sky.

Click below to find out who the Mercury can actually count on.

Voepel reports

The Mercury also have suspended her contract, so she will not be returning in 2022 even if the team makes the playoffs.

I would expect this means the Mercury organization is showing some backbone indicating they are not going to pay an employee who, in addition to letting down the team, has decided to not show up for work.

Reaction Score
If the Dream win 2 they're in and if 0, they're out. If they win 1, they either need MN to lose both or Phoenix to win exactly 1, but not 0 or 2.
Smart money Phoenix wins exactly zero.

Lynx are amplifying Profiles in Courage. Both coach and Pheesa along with the rest of the squad exemplify team and are inspirational.

Mercury exemplify Chucky D's (not Daly)insight

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

The princess of darkness casts a long and pernicious shadow over the valley of the sun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Smart money Phoenix wins exactly zero.
Haha. You're probably right -- but the short-handed, undersized, superstar-free version has played the last 2 games with the most intensity all season (with the 2 exceptions of the first game after the Charles divorce and the last time DT & Sue squared off against each other) and they might get a heavy dose of Charli Collier & Jasmine Dickey tonight and Dana Evans & Ruthy Hebard Sunday (if Vegas wins and clinches the #1 seed earlier in the day).

Maybe they'll follow your lead with some Shakespeare & Dickens on the whiteboard for motivation.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Sky defense has been bad the past two games against Seattle and Vegas, but it's the first quarter that's killing them. They've been outscored by a combined 23pts in the first quarter of the last two games; and are actually +1 over the final three quarters.

Reaction Score
With how confusing my writing style is at times, I'm surprised that I didn't get a "??" sooner. My WOW is that her WNBA team has 2 critical games to determine if they make the playoffs and Hayes (best player on the team) is overseas after playing 11 games for the Dream due to injuries. I can guess as to some of her reasons ($$, representing her adopted country, etc.), but I think that this type of situation (SDS sitting for her team's crucial games for other unknown reasons) is one of the numerous reasons that the WNBA has failed to gain more traction.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With how confusing my writing style is at times, I'm surprised that I didn't get a "??" sooner. My WOW is that her WNBA team has 2 critical games to determine if they make the playoffs and Hayes is overseas. I can guess as to some of her reasons, but I think that this type of situation (SDS sitting for her team's crucial games for other unknown reasons) is one of the numerous reasons that the WNBA has failed to gain more traction.
Still confused. Okay, you are talking about Skylar so I get that. Are you referring to Tiffany Hayes? She is on Atlanta and injured? Is there some other Hayes? Is the good pickup you are referring to Yvonne Turner?

Reaction Score
Still confused. Okay, you are talking about Skylar so I get that. Are you referring to Tiffany Hayes? She is on Atlanta and injured? Is there some other Hayes? Is the good pickup you are referring to Yvonne Turner?
I'm sorry. Thanks for asking again, because I want to be clear, so I really appreciate it.

Tiffany Hayes, who has played 11 games this year due to a variety of injuries, is not with the Dream for their critical, final 2 games of the year because she is in Turkey, representing her adopted country of Azerbaijan in a 3x3 tournament. I tried to quote @GCKSFN4L quoting the tweet that said all of this, in my initial response.

I was referring to Kaila Charles (who was also mentioned in @GCKSFN4L post) as the solid last-minute acquisition.

I'm guessing part of the confusion stemmed from me using Hayes own nickname for herself of Tip. I will not do that again - no chance of me referring to Chennedy Carter as 'wood, as her teammates do, either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This Hayes situation is confusing. The Dream's updates were that she was still recovering and it was day-to-day from what I remember.

For as much as Skylar is being questioned (and it's totally fair), she's been healthy for most of the season. If Hayes has only played 11 games this season, I hope she's going to get a similar level of scrutiny about team commitment.

Reaction Score
This Hayes situation is confusing. The Dream's updates were that she was still recovering and it was day-to-day from what I remember.

For as much as Skylar is being questioned (and it's totally fair), she's been healthy for most of the season. If Hayes has only played 11 games this season, I hope she's going to get a similar level of scrutiny about team commitment.
Yes, they claimed an ankle injury until this afternoon.

Even with Billings returning, I think that NY has too much talent and depth and will win at least 1 & probably both vs the Dream. As much as I think players like Caldwell and Hillmon are underrated, I currently place them as 7th or 8th players (could move up in the future) and they have both been pressed into a starter's role. Cheyenne Parker is also underrated IMO, but she is still not as good as the top player on just about every other team's original roster.

Very intriguing Storm/Lynx game for a multitude of reasons.

Edit: didn't see your post @JellyBean until mine hit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member