August WNBA thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

August WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sabrina completely taking over 3rd Q with 11 pts (8 reb. 6 assists) after 0 pt first half. Triple double watch? Did Crystal get pulled or injured? Only 5 minutes playing time.

I saw a bunch of this game. Regarding Dangerfield: I don't recall her being injured.
Coach Brondello subbed in Sami Whitcomb, who scored 15 pts (5-8 overall, 4-7 from three), had 4 rebounds and 5 assists (splitting lead guard with Ionescu) and had a +29 rating, highest in the game. Think Brondello just rode the hot hand offensively.

From a defensive standpoint, Brondello assigned taller, "with length" players to make Allisha Gray and Marina Mabrey work for everything they got. So, also struck me as a match-up decision.

Intense two-game set: Dallas qualified in the first game and NYC Liberty fought to stay alive in the second. Thought the Wings ran out of gas in the second: Gray was coming up short on jumpers and Mabrey was beating players off the drive but hurrying her shots afterwards and just missing lay-ups or short "j's" in the fourth quarter. The efforts were there.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My beloved Minnesota Lynx holds on to get the win against Phoenix. We also sweep the season series. Napheesa is doing okay out there. I was worried at first (game pace and getting into the flow of things), but she seems to be holding her own out there and playing decently. Great win, Minnesota.
Agree with you on 'Pheese.

Thought MoJeff ran a superb show last night and vets Fowles and K-Mac got it done (like they do). Jess Shepard -- another possible candidate for Most Improved Player -- had a double-double. Got to the line a bunch.

Solid Lynx win.

p.s. BTW, look forward to Napheesa and Jessica teaming up again next year as small and big forward. I think they complement and respect each other's games.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe not during the first, but she had a good performance for her second game back. Played about 20 minutes as well. So far so good considering the situation.
Yes. I was happy to see she looked much better in the second half. Still clearly not at full speed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am not usually a fan of the drama, but am intrigued here. Last night was one of the most crucial and winnable games. Ordinarily I would give the player the benefit of the doubt, but based on @azfan 's astute posts, I cannot here.

Also, I was asked about possible MIP candidates a few days ago and I mentioned Young, Plum, & Ionescu. I read this elsewhere, but Cunningham has to be in the mix as well.
It was reported that Phoenix didn’t know SDS wasn’t playing until close to game time. This is all very strange. Hope things are okay.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It was reported that Phoenix didn’t know SDS wasn’t playing until close to game time. This is all very strange. Hope things are okay.
Yes...getting really strange. Sky can be a lot of things (positive, off-putting, etc.) but she usually plays hard for her teammates and to see her not be available for them is a major red flag for me that things are not ok with Sky, in some way (We already know that about Phoenix.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To quote Marsellus Wallace:

"Pretty _______ far from OK!!!

Reaction Score
Yes...getting really strange. Sky can be a lot of things (positive, off-putting, etc.) but she usually plays hard for her teammates and to see her not be available for them is a major red flag for me that things are not ok with Sky. (We already know that about Phoenix.)
I'll leave it at that, since observing from a distance, there is a slippery slope distinguishing between legitimate and/or clinical mental health issues and accountability. I will say hats off to DeShields, Cunningham, Turner, Peddy, J Simms, & Gustafson for beating NY & taking a motivated, full strength Lynx team to the final minute or 2 completely shorthanded and undersized.
To quote Marsellus Wallace:

"Pretty _______ far from OK!!!
Hilarious quote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Diggins as a player and think she's very, very good.

That being said the entire situation in Phoenix is a disaster and even if she's the victim rather than the instigator (which I'd say she's likely some of both) then it's best for everyone to part ways. Fans will never know exactly what all has gone on but it doesn't sound pretty.

Phoenix should jettison their coach and trade Diggins for at least some value and start their total rebuild. There is no way of knowing if Griner will ever play basketball again and DT is near the end of her career. Deshields, if healthy, can be a good one, Cunningham and Turner have WNBA ability as does Nurse if she gets back healthy. That's not a terrible foundation. Get a big player.

Diggins has put up terrific numbers this year

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I like Diggins as a player and think she's very, very good.

That being said the entire situation in Phoenix is a disaster and even if she's the victim rather than the instigator (which I'd say she's likely some of both) then it's best for everyone to part ways. Fans will never know exactly what all has gone on but it doesn't sound pretty.

Phoenix should jettison their coach and trade Diggins for at least some value and start their total rebuild. There is no way of knowing if Griner will ever play basketball again and DT is near the end of her career. Deshields, if healthy, can be a good one, Cunningham and Turner have WNBA ability as does Nurse if she gets back healthy. That's not a terrible foundation. Get a big player.

Diggins has put up terrific numbers this year
Can someone enlighten me as to what she is the victim of, other than perhaps a few unwarranted technical fouls by the officials? I guess I've never really understood what her gripes are that are specific to Phoenix, as opposed to the League as a whole (officiating) or the BG situation, neither of which Phoenix can do much about...

Reaction Score
We don't know what's going on at Phoenix but something is definitely not right. We saw Tina Charles leave mid season and that's not something we normally see from her.

I hope Skylar is ok, she deleted her Twitter and everything. I know some people don't like her and her personality but her not returning at this crucial point in the season isn't the norm for her either, especially since she carried the team to this point. Hopefully her off court life isn't the cause of this.

Reaction Score
Can someone enlighten me as to what she is the victim of, other than perhaps a few unwarranted technical fouls by the officials? I guess I've never really understood what her gripes are that are specific to Phoenix, as opposed to the League as a whole (officiating) or the BG situation, neither of which Phoenix can do much about...
I can't say for sure if she's the victim of of anything but something tells me there is a lot of bad blood in Phoenix. Victim may not be the right word but maybe caught in a bad situation. She possibly has contributed to it or maybe just been an observer, but something isn't right there and I don't think it's as much about BG as some may think.

Reaction Score
I will add this: for whatever reason last season in Phoenix SDS didn't appear to have any issues. Maybe it was their finals run, maybe it was team chemistry, but for whatever reason she's been a different person this year compared to the last. Something has gone down.

Reaction Score
I'll leave it at that, since observing from a distance, there is a slippery slope distinguishing between legitimate and/or clinical mental health issues and accountability. I will say hats off to DeShields, Cunningham, Turner, Peddy, J Simms, & Gustafson for beating NY & taking a motivated, full strength Lynx team to the final minute or 2 completely shorthanded and undersized.

Hilarious quote.
I’m far from sold on Nygaard’s coaching and team management, but I will say that this Mercury team has done a pretty good job staying competitive in many games with close to zero forward/post size. I love Brianna Turner’s defense but she is perhaps the league’s lowest-usage offensive player given the minutes she plays. Phoenix doesn’t have much of anyone helping out at the 4 or 5 spots in Charles’ absence but has still won about as much without her as they did with.

Reaction Score
Aces probably facing an uphill battle tonight against the Sky without Hamby. Leaves Wilson as the only post scorer.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m far from sold on Nygaard’s coaching and team management, but I will say that this Mercury team has done a pretty good job staying competitive in many games with close to zero forward/post size. I love Brianna Turner’s defense but she is perhaps the league’s lowest-usage offensive player given the minutes she plays. Phoenix doesn’t have much of anyone helping out at the 4 or 5 spots in Charles’ absence but has still won about as much without her as they did with.
They've actually been a much better team without Charles. 5-11 with Tina, 9-9 without. I think it's unlikely they'll sneak into the playoffs but their turn around led by Diggins-Smith has been impressive considering they've been without BG/Charles and DT has been quite inconsistent all year too.

Reaction Score

It's good to see the ESPN crew on board with my Wright pick from a few weeks ago. A poster had predicted a large Storm victory over the Aces and I said if that happens, Stewie should be MVP. It didn't & now I'll take a different tact: If Vegas beats the Sky & Storm and A'ja plays well, that would place them in 1st & Seattle in 4th or 5th (if they lose @ MN as well), also giving Wilson 2 victories over Stewie in a week and 2 over Chicago within a few; I think Wilson gets the hardware. If this doesn't occur, I am flipping a coin because these 2 are so good, valuable, and added variety/nuance offensively and defensively to their already stellar games.

If anybody is interested and missed it, I detailed some tiebreaker playoff scenarios at the bottom of the previous page.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not playing last night: Taurasi, Diggins-Smith, Nurse, and, of course, Griner. That's like an all-star lineup.
Plus Charles. Between Taurasi/SDS/Griner/Charles you have 1/3 of the US Olympic team from last summer. Wild how differently the season has panned out compared to expectations in the offseason.

Reaction Score
Not playing last night: Taurasi, Diggins-Smith, Nurse, and, of course, Griner. That's like an all-star lineup.
Considering what is left of the roster this group has fought like &#$% to stay competitive. Reminds me of when MSU went down swinging with an undersized and limited lineup in the back half of the college season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces up 14 at halftime on the Sky. Plum leading the way w/ 18 pts/4 assists on an efficient 6-8 shooting. She's not gonna catch Taurasi's 121 (unless she goes completely nuts in the next game and a half), but she now has the 2nd most made 3 point FG in a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom