Aubrey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

Reaction Score
I don’t think Aubrey has done any better than Anna this year. Possibly with this years abnormal schedule they just need a little more time and confidence to excel. I think so.
You might not, but I think so.

Reaction Score
There has to be a reckoning for Makurat soon: either Griffin brings her explosive offensive prowess to the starting five, or Aaliyah Edwards brings her explosive and overpowering height to the starting five. I don't see how Makurat continues to fit in when she's not hitting three's. Or posing any kind of offensive threat.
I think Nika gets some of Anna’s minutes. Nika has been hurt, but as she gets healthy she may play more.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno values Anna’s other contributions more than her scoring, she knows the offense and is a great passer, and he believes she will find her shot and start holding up her end of the scoring in addition to all the other things she contributes. Also, he may be afraid to start AE because he is worried that both bigs starting could lead to a situation where both our bigs might get in foul trouble at once. After all, foul avoidance has not been a strong point for either of them.
You may see Liv and Aaliyah both in more at the same time against Baylor to match their size.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I will be surprised if they both start.
Yeah. I have to say that both Liv and AE have a tendency to commit too many fouls, so we can't afford to have both sitting on the bench against Baylor. AE can't be the one to start in place of Anna.

Reaction Score
She is limited only because she doesn’t get the minutes to start flowing in the game. UConn’s offense is so wide open she will not disrupt the lane. She will take so much stress off that offense with her transition game which suits Paige to a tee.I would def take her 4ft shot over the current: “ hang around the arc-3pt clanging-pass around even when wide open” they are getting now. Also is Anna really 6’2”? She has no defensive skills, no footwork and clangs 3 after 3 when she does shoot. I could go on and on about other issues but they winning. But stick in Aubrey for her and see how much better everyone gets with just that move! I am sure Paige wouldn’t mind. That would be a big loss for Uconn if Aubrey leaves.

If you could explain satisfactorily how Aubrey opens the lane when her and Liv are in the game (unless you want to move Liv out on the perimeter for the majority of the game which I don't find appealing) then I'm with ya totally. Because Aubrey can't shoot she doesn't start imo. I'd love her to be able to shoot- but so far she has shown she can't. Otherwise please provide multiple examples of where you've seen her nail consecutive jumpers outside the lane at UCONN.

And the comment that "she can't get in the flow of the game" is an excuse. Over the years there have been players from UCONN had to play 15 minutes or so to start their 1st year or 2 and some work out and some don't. Hopefully she'll work out but 15-16 minutes or whatever- but -she has an absolute chance to show.

And a further point-- she is not ideal for Paige in halfcourt sets. The game is more than just transition. If you can't get fastbreaks going then you need to execute in the halfcourt offensively. The ideal players for Paige in halfcourt imo are either a player that can score BOTH in and out, or an electric efficient perimeter scorer.

In terms of Anna- I told you why I thought Aubrey wasn't starting. My reply did not reflect one way or another who should start.

Reaction Score
If you could explain satisfactorily how Aubrey opens the lane when her and Liv are in the game (unless you want to move Liv out on the perimeter for the majority of the game which I don't find appealing) then I'm with ya totally. Because Aubrey can't shoot she doesn't start imo. I'd love her to be able to shoot- but so far she has shown she can't. Otherwise please provide multiple examples of where you've seen her nail consecutive jumpers outside the lane at UCONN.

And the comment that "she can't get in the flow of the game" is an excuse. Over the years there have been players from UCONN had to play 15 minutes or so to start their 1st year or 2 and some work out and some don't. Hopefully she'll work out but 15-16 minutes or whatever- but -she has an absolute chance to show.

And a further point-- she is not ideal for Paige in halfcourt sets. The game is more than just transition. If you can't get fastbreaks going then you need to execute in the halfcourt offensively. The ideal players for Paige in halfcourt imo are either a player that can score BOTH in and out, or an electric efficient perimeter scorer.

In terms of Anna- I told you why I thought Aubrey wasn't starting. My reply did not reflect one way or another who should start.
None of which we have until Sept.:D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We need outside shooters and we need them to start clicking. Anna Evina CW need to get on track. Whatever is causing them to not make as many outside shots as we know they can can only be worked out by more playtime. At some point it will happen and then,well then UConn is on their way. BTW next season we have a bunch of really good shooters coming in.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Here is a hypothetical question. The scenario is two seconds on the clock. We are down by 2. The only open shot is a 3 from the left corner. Who do you want to take that shot? Your options are Aubrey, Anna, Mir.

I know Anna's 26% from 3 is very disappointing. But if it was Aaliyah or Liv averaging 27% from the corner I wouldn't be disappointed because I don't expect them to shoot a high percentage beyond the arc. Anna is disappointing because I know she can shoot 45% or more. And I expect her to shoot 45%. One player shooting 45% from 3 changes the whole dynamic of this team. My expectation grows from probably the best team in the nation to odds on favorite to win the natty. Two guaranteed 3's a game from someone not named Paige or Christyn stresses the opposing defense to the breaking point.

I'm giving Anna all the space she needs. Because I know what she can do. I saw it and you saw it. Right now she is not the Anna of the last half of last year. It doesn't look like a physical issue. I believe there is a switch somewhere that Anna can turn on. Then her confidence comes back, the shots start falling and the passes go all highlight reel. I would love it to be Baylor that fires her up.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I think Nika gets some of Anna’s minutes. Nika has been hurt, but as she gets healthy she may play more.
It is Aaliyah that will take another 3 or 4 minutes from Anna and she will take 2 or 3 minutes from E. Right now Aaliyah is averaging 17 minutes a game. My assumption is that we will start to see that number creep up. Liv is getting 23 minutes and she will start to get a few more as the games increase in importance. It seems to me that Liv is putting a lot of effort into her play. We see her running the floor more and fighting for position a lot more. When she comes out of a game she is frequently gassed from the effort.

Anna should continue to start because she is steady. The offense and defense both work when she is in the game despite her shortcomings. The consistency she brings is very important at the beginning of games. If Aubrey or Aaliyah start there is an unpredictable aspect of their game and maturity that will keep them as subs through the year.

Reaction Score
Great post HuskeyinSC. I agree with you 300%!
I would bet G,CD S and J are working with AM on her confidence. Let’s go AM! I would love it too if she connects on a few or more threes in the game. I remember one of last preseason games I was at (last year) and AM drove to the basket and finished a couple of times. Got me out of my seat cheering!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is a hypothetical question. The scenario is two seconds on the clock. We are down by 2. The only open shot is a 3 from the left corner. Who do you want to take that shot? Your options are Aubrey, Anna, Mir.

I know Anna's 26% from 3 is very disappointing. But if it was Aaliyah or Liv averaging 27% from the corner I wouldn't be disappointed because I don't expect them to shoot a high percentage beyond the arc. Anna is disappointing because I know she can shoot 45% or more. And I expect her to shoot 45%. One player shooting 45% from 3 changes the whole dynamic of this team. My expectation grows from probably the best team in the nation to odds on favorite to win the natty. Two guaranteed 3's a game from someone not named Paige or Christyn stresses the opposing defense to the breaking point.

I'm giving Anna all the space she needs. Because I know what she can do. I saw it and you saw it. Right now she is not the Anna of the last half of last year. It doesn't look like a physical issue. I believe there is a switch somewhere that Anna can turn on. Then her confidence comes back, the shots start falling and the passes go all highlight reel. I would love it to be Baylor that fires her up.
Hypothetical answer: That is a rather elegant scenario designed to promote the obvious- Anna is the best three point shooter among Aubrey, Anna and Mir. Here is a counter point: With time left on the clock for only one shot ( needs to be a three) I don't see Geno drawing up a play to get Anna a shot from the corner. Conversely if I the opposing coach and I defend that possession well enough so that I only give up that shot to Anna, then my team just played outstanding defense and I really really like my chances.
I'm still surprised at the number of people clinging to this thought that Anna "can shoot 45% or more from deep" and actually amazed at the suspension of reality people are using to get there. It would have to be a fairly deep statistical delusion (manipulation?) to believe that Anna is or can become a 45% deep shooter. The delusion would have to begin by ignoring all of Anna's Non-Conference games form 2019-20 as well as ignoring all 6 games so far of the 2020-21 season. If all of those games are ignored then miraculously Anna becomes a 44% 3pt shooter.

Reaction Score
It is Aaliyah that will take another 3 or 4 minutes from Anna and she will take 2 or 3 minutes from E. Right now Aaliyah is averaging 17 minutes a game. My assumption is that we will start to see that number creep up. Liv is getting 23 minutes and she will start to get a few more as the games increase in importance. It seems to me that Liv is putting a lot of effort into her play. We see her running the floor more and fighting for position a lot more. When she comes out of a game she is frequently gassed from the effort.

Anna should continue to start because she is steady. The offense and defense both work when she is in the game despite her shortcomings. The consistency she brings is very important at the beginning of games. If Aubrey or Aaliyah start there is an unpredictable aspect of their game and maturity that will keep them as subs through the year.
Agree..Anna should start but her minutes should be shortened if she contribute offensively..I wish she could drive to the basket when her shots don't fall...

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I'm still surprised at the number of people clinging to this thought that Anna "can shoot 45% or more from deep" and actually amazed at the suspension of reality people are using to get there. It would have to be a fairly deep statistical delusion (manipulation?) to believe that Anna is or can become a 45% deep shooter. The delusion would have to begin by ignoring all of Anna's Non-Conference games form 2019-20 as well as ignoring all 6 games so far of the 2020-21 season. If all of those games are ignored then miraculously Anna becomes a 44% 3pt shooter.
History tells me that Anna can be a 45% shooter from 3. Last year over the course of the season Anna shot 59/144 from 3 that is 41%. If you will grant me the liberty to remove her performance over the first 5 games when she shot 2/20 from 3. For the last 27 games of the season (I believe an acceptable sample size) Anna shot 57/124 or 45.96%. To date Anna is 7/26 for 26.9%. She is ahead of last year's pace.

These simple statistics (and I made my living creating statistical analysis software) are quite shallow and require no deep statistical delusion. Only a bit of faith that what she has done she will do again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
History tells me that Anna can be a 45% shooter from 3. Last year over the course of the season Anna shot 59/144 from 3 that is 41%. If you will grant me the liberty to remove her performance over the first 5 games when she shot 2/20 from 3. For the last 27 games of the season (I believe an acceptable sample size) Anna shot 57/124 or 45.96%. To date Anna is 7/26 for 26.9%. She is ahead of last year's pace.

These simple statistics (and I made my living creating statistical analysis software) are quite shallow and require no deep statistical delusion. Only a bit of faith that what she has done she will do again.
:eek: That is a rather shallow analysis. In summary your analysis and request for "faith" would require us to ignore roughly 30% (11 of 37) of the games that Anna has actually played in. What software or analyst would consider 30% of a sample size of 37 to be statistically insignificant?

PS I am asking for a friend who is considering upgrading his S/W.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CocoHusky-Just curious why you are so down on Anna? Curious again, why don’t think even for a minute that when AM gets her confidence back the shots will start falling? Just curious again, do you think that Aubrey also as her confidence grows her shots will start to fall? I’m optimistic on Anna and Audrey you should be too.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing we have a lot of shooters coming in next year. Are we already throwing in the towel for this years team? They still have a few games to work the kinks out and I think Anna and Aubrey will improve their shooting skills. Everyone needs work on their free throws. Go Huskies!

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
:eek: That is a rather shallow analysis. In summary your analysis and request for "faith" would require us to ignore roughly 30% (11 of 37) of the games that Anna has actually played in. What software or analyst would consider 30% of a sample size of 37 to statistically insignificant?

PS I am asking for a friend who is considering upgrading his S/W.
One who is looking at the 27 out of 37 that provides a higher statistical level or confidence than 11 out of 37. So I guess the answer is this one. Also, I also don't know why you would critique my own caveat, I pointed out the numbers were shallow.

PS: your friend can't afford me.

Reaction Score
We need outside shooters and we need them to start clicking. Anna Evina CW need to get on track. Whatever is causing them to not make as many outside shots as we know they can can only be worked out by more playtime. At some point it will happen and then,well then UConn is on their way. BTW next season we have a bunch of really good shooters coming in.
Your right Azzi, Caroline and Saylor will have no problem letting their 3 point shot go. The problem will be who gets playing time. We will also have another big Deberry who can shoot and will eventually work high low with Aaliyah. We will be trouble for WCBB again soon.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So (this season) if UConn is 3 points down with 8 seconds left in regulation time, and you are Geno, for whom do you draw up a play to get that last 3-point shot? Obviously the opposing coach is going to have his or her most athletic defender face-guarding Paige. Surely she will be double-teamed if she touches the ball at the 3-point line. Who is next in line to get the shot? It would have to be Christyn, Evina, or Anna. Who else is there?

My nominee would be Evina. In normal circumstances, her percentage is not going to be much (if at all) higher than Christyn or Anna, but I think her maturity and leadership would make her most fit to sink a single shot that absolutely has to be made.

Or do you think Geno will concoct some razzle-dazzle play where Paige curls behind two or three screens to get open despite the defense's best efforts to make someone else beat them (or in this case tie them)?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky-Just curious why you are so down on Anna? Curious again, why don’t think even for a minute that when AM gets her confidence back the shots will start falling? Just curious again, do you think that Aubrey also as her confidence grows her shots will start to fall? I’m optimistic on Anna and Audrey you should be too.
Q: Just curious why you are so down on Anna?
A: I'm not down on Anna. I very down on the unrealistic expectations that some BY posters have placed on her.
"When someone reveals themselves to you it is up to you to believe them."
Kara Larson quoting her father.

Anna has played 37 games in a UCONN uniform, and has revealed herself to be a solid contributor and starter. I don't understand the need to cherry pick selective games and ignore others.
Q: Why don’t think even for a minute that when AM gets her confidence back the shots will start falling?
A: I do hope, pray & think if she gains her confidence back her shot will start falling. When this happens I just don't think she will not out perform the stats that she has achieve in her first 37 games which were "solid". Again the issue is the unrealistic expectations that would place Anna among the most elite deep shooters in UCONN history. Anna is a good 3pt shooter not elite.
Q: Just curious again, do you think that Aubrey also as her confidence grows her shots will start to fall?
A: You are mixing up apples and oranges here. Anna needs to shoot more accurately from deep. Aubrey needs to shoot more often and more accurately from deep and mid range for the UCONN offense to be at its best. When Anna is in the game the offensive flow is quite good and this is not the case when Aubrey is in the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So (this season) if UConn is 3 points down with 8 seconds left in regulation time, and you are Geno, for whom do you draw up a play to get that last 3-point shot? Obviously the opposing coach is going to have his or her most athletic defender face-guarding Paige. Surely she will be double-teamed if she touches the ball at the 3-point line. Who is next in line to get the shot? It would have to be Christyn, Evina, or Anna. Who else is there?

My nominee would be Evina. In normal circumstances, her percentage is not going to be much (if at all) higher than Christyn or Anna, but I think her maturity and leadership would make her most fit to sink a single shot that absolutely has to be made.

Or do you think Geno will concoct some razzle-dazzle play where Paige curls behind two or three screens to get open despite the defense's best efforts to make someone else beat them (or in this case tie them)?
I'd run this sequence from 2013-14 with this personnel. Evina is Bria Hartley, Paige is KML and ONO is Dolson. Anna is Kiah Stokes in the left corner and CW in the right corner.

This sequence worked so well that Geno ran this same play against Maryland and Penn State the next two opponents and then again against Cal a few days later.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'd run this sequence from 2013-14 with this personnel. Evina is Bria Hartley, Paige is KML and ONO is Dolson. Anna is Kiah Stokes in the left corner and CW in the right corner.

This sequence worked so well that Geno ran this same play against Maryland and Penn State the next two opponents and then again against Cal a few days later.

I appreciate your direct reply to my question. However ...

This play occurred at the end of the first half, not the end of the game. That makes a big difference, because at the end of the first half, Stanford had to defend the paint to prevent an easy layup, which is why they had two defenders down low at the start of the play.

In the scenario I am describing (UConn down 3 at the end of the game), the opponent would not need to defend the paint at all since a 2-point layup would not hurt them. All five defenders would be spread out along the 3-point line. Someone would probably jump the passing lane from Bria/Evina to KML/Paige, with ONO's defender not needing to pay her any mind at all. I don't think that play would work in that situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom