Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, a potential candidate that was being kicked around would have shocked everyone and sent ripples through the basketball world. She clearly met the criteria. Her current school however acted quickly to keep her there. Since it didn't come to pass, I'm not going to say her name but let's just say this press release may not be coincidental.

Reaction Score
A question on timing. I assume that CT requires that the job be posted for a specific period of time before it can be filled. Does anyone know what the job posting time period is for this position?
Near the bottom of the posting it says "The posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 PM Eastern time on April 20, 2021." So since it was put up on the 13th, it looks like the requirement is one week. Maybe that means an announcement will be made at noon! Ha!

Reaction Score
So, a potential candidate that was being kicked around would have shocked everyone and sent ripples through the basketball world. She clearly met the criteria. Her current school however acted quickly to keep her there. Since it didn't come to pass, I'm not going to say her name but let's just say this press release may not be coincidental.

What's the O/U on how many millennium would pass before that happened? I'll say a millennium.

Reaction Score
A question on timing. I assume that CT requires that the job be posted for a specific period of time before it can be filled. Does anyone know what the job posting time period is for this position?
Wouldn't it be until the position is filled?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Closes 4/20.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
As crazy as this sounds, this made me look up the staff at _________ to look at the assistant coaches. One of them has CT ties, hmmm.

Reaction Score

Eat Grilled Cheese GIF by Dietz & Watson

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the minimum qualifications is:
Experience at 2 or more power 5 universities.
Or in the words of the posting : "coaching experience at two or more universities that are members of Power 5 conferences."

Amazing how many posters are chatting up candidates who do not meet this qualification, such as Carla Berube.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be until the position is filled?
Job postings are typically not open ended, and the posting would require that the job not be filled until after the designated posting period to give all potential applicants an equal opportunity to apply. Per UConnCat, the posting ends next Tuesday, so I would anticipate an announcement relatively soon thereafter if Geno already has someone in mind. If not, it could take several weeks.

Reaction Score
Job postings are typically not open ended, and the posting would require that the job not be filled until after the designated posting period to give all potential applicants an equal opportunity to apply. Per UConnCat, the posting ends next Tuesday, so I would anticipate an announcement relatively soon thereafter if Geno already has someone in mind. If not, it could take several weeks.

The NCAA Dead Period is supposedly ending June 1st and I would expect that there would be a rush to get face to face time with recruits. I would think that sooner is more likely than later to get an Assistant Coach hired and active.

Reaction Score
Way off.
Way, way off.
Why would an {unnamed} head coach leave their position of privilege, respect and security and uproot their life to become a assistant coach for a couple of years?
No upside for the {unnamed} candidate.
None.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As a fan, I would be disappointed if it were Morgan Valley. There. I said it. Having said that, I'm open to being convinced that she's the right choice. Not that Geno nor CD owe me any explanation, but there is absolutely ZERO on her resume that is impressive (to me).

She has literally had 8 jobs in the past 16 years. She has stayed at NO job more than 2 years except for UMASS as an assistant. She was at Va Tech, Washington, and Arizona, so she spent some time at P5 schools. Ok that's nice but name one single top player she was the lead recruiter on (I'm asking - like I said, open to being convinced). I get that she may have coached Kelsey Plum for a year or 2, but she joined Washington after Plum was already on the team so did not recruit her.

She took over for Kim McNeil, who was at Hartford for 3 years and was 23-11 in her 3rd season, making it to the WNIT. Kim had a winning record all 3 seasons. Morgan then took over and promptly went 1-28. She was 3-9 this season before Hartford shut down due to Covid. Is she just an awful coach, or was the cupboard left completely bare when McNeil left? Or something in between?

Has she even coached guards before? I know she was a versatile player hampered by plantar fascitis, but she was never a PG or SG. She was more a wing/forward. So this is potentially who would be the lead coach will be for possibly the greatest 2 guards to ever play for the same team at the same time in the history of women's college basketball (following in the footsteps of Sue and Diana)?

I'm NOT trying to be a Debbie Downer. I have no idea if she is THE candidate that Geno and CD are looking for. But when you look at the list of people who fit the ENTIRE job description, it's something like Morgan Valley, Gail Goestenkors, Joanne McCallie. I haven't seen anyone else put forward a name who meets all the criteria. So please - tell me why she would be the right person for the job. And saying "If Geno wants her, it's fine by me" is obvious. Give me something else. PLEASE.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a fan, I would be disappointed if it were Morgan Valley. There. I said it. Having said that, I'm open to being convinced that she's the right choice. Not that Geno nor CD owe me any explanation, but there is absolutely ZERO on her resume that is impressive (to me).

She has literally had 8 jobs in the past 16 years. She has stayed at NO job more than 2 years except for UMASS as an assistant. She was at Va Tech, Washington, and Arizona, so she spent some time at P5 schools. Ok that's nice but name one single top player she was the lead recruiter on (I'm asking - like I said, open to being convinced). I get that she may have coached Kelsey Plum for a year or 2, but she joined Washington after Plum was already on the team so did not recruit her.

She took over for Kim McNeil, who was at Hartford for 3 years and was 23-11 in her 3rd season, making it to the WNIT. Kim had a winning record all 3 seasons. Morgan then took over and promptly went 1-28. She was 3-9 this season before Hartford shut down due to Covid. Is she just an awful coach, or was the cupboard left completely bare when McNeil left? Or something in between?

Has she even coached guards before? I know she was a versatile player hampered by plantar fascitis, but she was never a PG or SG. She was more a wing/forward. So this is potentially who would be the lead coach will be for possibly the greatest 2 guards to ever play for the same team at the same time in the history of women's college basketball (following in the footsteps of Sue and Diana)?

I'm NOT trying to be a Debbie Downer. I have no idea if she is THE candidate that Geno and CD are looking for. But when you look at the list of people who fit the ENTIRE job description, it's something like Morgan Valley, Gail Goestenkors, Joanne McCallie. I haven't seen anyone else put forward a name who meets all the criteria. So please - tell me why she would be the right person for the job. And saying "If Geno wants her, it's fine by me" is obvious. Give me something else. PLEASE.
Eric, you ask a number of really good questions. It’s probably too late, but I think you should definitely represent the BY to interview all viable candidates for the Assistant Coach position.

Reaction Score
The NCAA Dead Period is supposedly ending June 1st and I would expect that there would be a rush to get face to face time with recruits. I would think that sooner is more likely than later to get an Assistant Coach hired and active.

wait - they are recruiting dead people now?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Near the bottom of the posting it says "The posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 PM Eastern time on April 20, 2021." So since it was put up on the 13th, it looks like the requirement is one week. Maybe that means an announcement will be made at noon! Ha!
You mean midnight!

EricLA: If you look at the bio quotes from the Washington and AZ jobs, you see very impressive quotes from, Sue, Plum, Osahor, Geno, CD, and Neighbors.
Posted up thread by Jackalop:

Maybe it isn't the most exciting hire - but this is a person who has dedicated herself to coaching, after being a tough nosed but limited player in college. She left Washington when Neighbors left, and left AZ to head home for a HC job at a school that has since decided it no longer will be a D1 program - suspect the energy and support had dried up. And that thorn in our sides in the FF this year made the same trip to AZ that her recruiter/AC made and that her fellow assistant had made - Barnes and Valley had worked together in WA.

CL82

Reaction Score
What's the O/U on how many millennium would pass before that happened? I'll say a millennium.
The better question is whether she'll still be coaching in a millennium.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Every job Morgan has taken has been in consultation with Chris Dailey, her mentor.

Reaction Score

Yes she has. See this article.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You mean midnight!

EricLA: If you look at the bio quotes from the Washington and AZ jobs, you see very impressive quotes from, Sue, Plum, Osahor, Geno, CD, and Neighbors.
Posted up thread by Jackalop:

Maybe it isn't the most exciting hire - but this is a person who has dedicated herself to coaching, after being a tough nosed but limited player in college. She left Washington when Neighbors left, and left AZ to head home for a HC job at a school that has since decided it no longer will be a D1 program - suspect the energy and support had dried up. And that thorn in our sides in the FF this year made the same trip to AZ that her recruiter/AC made and that her fellow assistant had made - Barnes and Valley had worked together in WA.

Morgan has talked about Chris Dailey being her mentor. Every job Morgan has taken has been in consultation with Chris. Moran began watching film and helping with scout while on the UConn team. But for the Hartford job, which Chris persuaded her to take, she’d be an assistant on the Arizona staff.

I think we should trust Geno and Chris who know Morgan well and will be the the people working with her. They know her best and knowing someone well is very important for this role.

All that said, we still don’t know for certain if it’s her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So the notice has been posted, the requirements restrict probably 99% of all available coaches, Is it possible that it is posted that way to discourage a flood of applicates, thus finding none acceptable, moving on and hiring a younger coach with an affinity to be an amazing recruiter, and guard oriented.
I believe they had to post the job opening. I also believe they "intentionally" worded it so that they would not receive a flood of of applications. Geno (with the blessing of the AD) can hire anyone he wants to. He probably already had someone in mind once Shea informed him of her desire to apply for the Vandy HC position. They don't have to have all of the qualifications described in the posting. The last assistant he hired (Jasmine Lister) did not have half of those requirements. I'm not saying, I just saying. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Way off.
Way, way off.
Why would an {unnamed} head coach leave their position of privilege, respect and security and uproot their life to become a assistant coach for a couple of years?
No upside for the {unnamed} candidate.
None.
Desire for a national championship?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I can understand Eric's concerns but I think we have been spoiled (again) by the fact all our assistants do stay awhile whereas that is NOT the normal protocol for the 2nd and 3rd assistants at other schools who climb the tree to better programs, more diverse exposure, more responsibility to build their brand and their education under different systems. I would also say being an assistant is radically different than being a head coach. While the normal progression is Asst to HC, some are not good HC but are great assistants. Plus there is the money factor, I think Shea's salary was wrong, I thought she made closer to $300K on the freedom of information act for the 2017 salary year. The amount Morgan would get is more than what Hartford is paying plus she gets back with two people who molded her-Geno/CD.

To me, all her experience at these other schools is a benefit and she will do well. The last non-UConn hire did not do so well whereas Marissa and Tonya both did well, so as we know, it's a crapshoot. I say welcome aboard Morgan Valley (provided it's her).

Reaction Score
. . . I think we should trust Geno and Chris who know Morgan well and will be the the people working with her. They know her best and knowing someone well is very important for this role. . . .
I think this is an important point. The person hired has to "fit in" with the exiting staff and
especially Geno.

Just to take an extreme example, can anyone imagine someone as prickly as Joanne McCallie fitting in?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom