Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

Reaction Score
I don't know. If it were a few years ago I'd say yes. In a few years when Geno does retire? Depends on if there is a plan for a younger coach to take over. CD is 5-6 years younger than Geno.
Just thought that watching her interviews after handling the first two games of the tournament, it could be an itch she'd like to scratch. Although feeling a big responsibility not to let the kids down, she seemed to really enjoy it and privately must have thought, "I really can do this". I think she'd do a great job, not only results wise but getting a younger Assoc. HC ready.

Reaction Score
From the interviews I've read about CD, she's completely secure in being the "1A", and not sure she'd want to be the HC, but perhaps in a temp role to assist in the transition. Or, she would stay as the 1A for the new coach for continuity sake. And no idea why this keeps popping in my head, but in either of these scenarios, I see the future HC in waiting to be Carla Berube. Just something about her trajectory and success at Tufts and Princeton.
1) I think she might be underestimating herself.
2) I agree with you here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From the interviews I've read about CD, she's completely secure in being the "1A", and not sure she'd want to be the HC, but perhaps in a temp role to assist in the transition. Or, she would stay as the 1A for the new coach for continuity sake. And no idea why this keeps popping in my head, but in either of these scenarios, I see the future HC in waiting to be Carla Berube. Just something about her trajectory and success at Tufts and Princeton.
I think if the successor to Geno is of Uconn pedigree (player or assistant coach) and specifically asked, CD would have a hard time saying no to at least an advisory position if not remaining as a associate coach. And I think she might also agree to be an interim head coach for a year or two as well.

Reaction Score
I think if the successor to Geno is of Uconn pedigree (player or assistant coach) and specifically asked, CD would have a hard time saying no to at least an advisory position if not remaining as a associate coach. And I think she might also agree to be an interim head coach for a year or two as well.
Agree 100%. And it wouldn't be a step down for Berube. But I'm biased because Berube has been my pick all along.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Interesting POV:
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 4.19.46 PM.png

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
So the notice has been posted, the requirements restrict probably 99% of all available coaches, Is it possible that it is posted that way to discourage a flood of applicates, thus finding none acceptable, moving on and hiring a younger coach with an affinity to be an amazing recruiter, and guard oriented.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Question for you. IYO, if GA decides he's had enough and retires, is there any possibility that CD would like to take the job to cap off her career as a HC?
Chris Daly has always indicated that she’ll ride off into the sunset with Geno, just like in Blazing Saddles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ooh - let's dissect the qualifications as posted:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
  1. Bachelor’s degree
  2. five years of coaching experience working within a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program
  3. coaching experience at two or more universities that are members of Power 5 conferences
  4. working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations
  5. strong commitment to the academic goals of the University
  6. excellent organizational, teaching, communication and public relations skills

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
  1. Division I head coaching experience
  2. coaching experience on team(s) that have advanced to at least the regional round of the NCAA D I WBB Championship
  3. demonstrated experience coaching players who have achieved conference and/or national honors
  4. former playing experience at the Division I collegiate level
So, now that we know both the minimum and preferred qualies, any guesses on who meets the min or both?
What about years on the Boneyard? Does that count.

Reaction Score
Agree with both of you.

Numerous people have commented "Geno wouldn't meet those qualifications". "CD wouldn't meet those qualifications". "Jamelle wouldn't meet those qualifications".

You are correct. They are not interviewing Geno or CD or Jamelle for the job. I believe, like several others, that there is literally one person in mind, who may have already agreed to take the job, and that the job description was written specifically with them in mind.

Now come on you BY detectives - who checks every box??!!!
Dawn S

Reaction Score
The only reason I can see for hiring a former UConn player is that IF she should happen to succeed Geno, she might get cut some slack by hyper-critical fans for a couple of years. Otherwise, you hire the best qualified person you can find.

Reaction Score
The only reason I can see for hiring a former UConn player is that IF she should happen to succeed Geno, she might get cut some slack by hyper-critical fans for a couple of years. Otherwise, you hire the best qualified person you can find.
There is a method to Geno’s madness.

Reaction Score
Could you acknowledge that the UConn environment is very unique and that a significant attribute/qualification for a candidate is that they come in understanding that unique environment from day 1?

Reaction Score
I am stunned at the number of posters who aren't aware of her wish to retire when Geno does.
I'm sure she meant it when she said it but if asked it might be a difficult offer to turn down, especially if there is no clear coaching replacement that fits at the time.......

Reaction Score
I have had decades of dealing with CT State Human Resource rules and policies. They would call their policy inclusive but it could also be seen as exclusionary.
Whenever a job is posted by the state, the hiring agency's affirmative action office sets a goal for the hire based on the demographics of the agency. They might target an hispanic male as the target hire. What that means is that any hispanic male that meets the minimum qualifications must be considered and if someone other than an hispanic male is hired the hire must be justified in writing. And having superior qualifications is NOT a satisfactory reason for hiring another person. It's a royal pain in the butt to comply so the easiest way around the rules is to write the job description so that the target class candidates (or anyone but the candidate) can't meet the minimum qualifications.
That sounds discriminatory. Holy hell!?!?

Reaction Score
You beat me to it. I agree...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am stunned at the number of posters who aren't aware of her wish to retire when Geno does.
I never believe anything CD or Geno ever say! I think she was just blowing smoke at Geno.

I can see it now, Geno retires and CD brings in a bunch of boxes and they both begin packing up their offices, Geno finishes and is pushing his trolley past CD's office to see if she's done. She has her trolley loaded as well, says, you go ahead, I've got a few things to finish up. Geno pushes his trolley down to the van, loads it up and realizes CD still hasn't made it down. Heads back up, her office is empty, no trolley, and then he hears noise in his office. Pokes his head around the door and CD is putting all her things away in the drawers and on the shelves, singing her happy song.
:eek: :cool:

Reaction Score
CD as a head coach! This would have the feeling of an Event. Having watched (and once chit-chat with) her, it is clear to me that such a desiring machine got turned off a long time ago. But, it is difficult for many of us lesser gods to slip this imperative to be the 'top dog'. Isn't the letting go of one's ego at the centre of the Uconn Program! She is a smart woman and, she will walk away at the right time. That is what the smart ones do. The not so smart ones end up staying just a little longer-- which ends up being too long.

Reaction Score
Could you acknowledge that the UConn environment is very unique and that a significant attribute/qualification for a candidate is that they come in understanding that unique environment from day 1?
Absolutely it's unique, and always will be. And yes understanding that is definitely a plus, but IMO should not be at the top of the list. But some of the ex-players names that I see tossed about just don't seem to have the coaching background they'll need. As Geno has said, I believe, very few great players become great head coaches.

Reaction Score
Much of this upcoming hire could be influenced by Geno's view of Jamelle. Marisa and Shea appeared to be strong recruiters and often were credited with helping develop the offensive and defensive strategies. We hear Geno comment about Jamelle's energy but little else. Suspect the newest Assistant will be hired in part to compliment Jamelle - i.e. fill some of the holes Geno has seen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A question on timing. I assume that CT requires that the job be posted for a specific period of time before it can be filled. Does anyone know what the job posting time period is for this position?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom