Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I believe that the 2 P5 requirement was put in to exclude some candidates including Rizzotti. For Rizzotti, 1 P5 would have sufficed. So there must be someone else Geno wanted to exclude.
Why would Geno do anything to "exclude" Jen? This makes it sound like he wouldn't want to hire her. The job description has nothing whatsoever to do with Jen Rizzotti.

Reaction Score
Why would Geno do anything to "exclude" Jen? This makes it sound like he wouldn't want to hire her. The job description has nothing whatsoever to do with Jen Rizzotti.
If Geno wanted to hire Rizzotti for this post, he would not put any P5 requirement in.
I do not know the reason why. You have to ask him.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't think it was written to exclude anyone. I think it was tailored to precisely match the person they intend to hire, and was only posted because they had to by rule.
I agree. This job posting has minimum and desired qualifications. Not everyone who applies for the job meet either or both, and not everyone who applies that do meet either/both are going to get either an interview or the job. If the posting was written for one or more people in which they are interested, it may be both legalese and the whole wheat and chaff situation.

After dealing with 10000s of resumes for an entry level program at a large F50 company, I get why.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jen is not a candidate for the job. She does not want the job. The job description has nothing to do with Jen. She does not need to be excluded.
I agree with you. Rizzotti may not want this job and the 2 P5 was not meant to exclude her.
I deleted the sentence.
I have no doubt that the 2 P5 is a requirement tailored to get Geno's preferred candidate. At the same time, it weeded out some unwanted candidates.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think it was written to exclude anyone. I think it was tailored to precisely match the person they intend to hire, and was only posted because they had to by rule.
I have had decades of dealing with CT State Human Resource rules and policies. They would call their policy inclusive but it could also be seen as exclusionary.
Whenever a job is posted by the state, the hiring agency's affirmative action office sets a goal for the hire based on the demographics of the agency. They might target an hispanic male as the target hire. What that means is that any hispanic male that meets the minimum qualifications must be considered and if someone other than an hispanic male is hired the hire must be justified in writing. And having superior qualifications is NOT a satisfactory reason for hiring another person. It's a royal pain in the butt to comply so the easiest way around the rules is to write the job description so that the target class candidates (or anyone but the candidate) can't meet the minimum qualifications.

Reaction Score
If the “right” person comes along, then any of the job posting qualifications will simplify be waved to hire her.

Reaction Score
The way I interpret these qualifications are that the AD and the Coaching staff want to bring in someone with a lot of experience to ease the transition when Geno retires. Geno & CD are far closer to retirement than the beginning of their careers, at ages 67 & 61. In the past, Geno has had young assistants who he has groomed for many years (Cardoso, Elliot, Ralph, Mosely, and Lister.) I don't think the program has the time left under Geno to groom another young coach. They need someone with a lot of experience who will be able to fill one of the four staff roles when Geno retires.

When he ultimately does, I believe CD will go with him. And I expect them to make a very high profile hire for head coach. This candidate is probably someone who will slot into the associate head coach role to ease continuity. Elliot is hard for me to pin down, because she seemed reluctant to come back, but is now very happy to be back. I'm not sold on her sticking around longer than Geno/CD. So likely the next head coach will bring in their own two assistants.

Reaction Score
Glad you and @UcMiami got a chuckle on this one :rolleyes: ; however, neither Niele or Muffet would qualify. Both have only coached at one P5 conference.

If you wanted a Domer coach, there is one in South Bend that qualifies: Coquese Washington (HC in B1G (Penn State), Asst. coach in ACC (ND, two stints), Big12 (Oklahoma)). The jury is largely still out on Round 2 of her stays in ND (primarily because she was hired during and performed during a pandemic).
sorry..............couldn't resist.................what are the odds that any ND coach would even consider working for UConn? I can't even imagine the backlash from ND fans..........

Reaction Score
I agree with others that think the job listing was posted to meet state requirements and that the best available person has already been selected..........just waiting for the announcement any day now......

Reaction Score
I agree with others that think the job listing was posted to meet state requirements and that the best available person has already been selected..........just waiting for the announcement any day now......

Morgan Valley (85%)
Kim Mcneill (15%)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I actually went through every post of this thread. This is very entertaining. It looks like the stage has been set and this pick is filled with lots of DRAMA! Who could this be?

Muffet McGraw, Kim Mulkey, Rick Pitino, ...Brenda Freese, Dawn Staley.......Gail Gostinkers,........Sheri Coale, ...Trumpets please.......the pick is.........(fill in the blanks).
I believe that Sheri came directly from coaching high school to college and was recommended by Geno to the OK AD.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really don't know why Jeff Walz isn't getting more play - every time there is an opening for a new coaching hire he seems to be the fans choice to fill it. And he definitely has the two P5 gigs and the HC coaching gig, and the NCAA regional experience. And he already has the Italian waiter shirt for Geno's wine cellar. I think he is a shoe-in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope that it is Morgan Valley, just watched a Youtube video "Who is Morgan Valley part 1". She talks about getting into coaching, practicing against BT and DT, originally wanting to go to Tennessee and adversity. Impressive and great insight into the program.

Reaction Score
I
I hope that it is Morgan Valley, just watched a Youtube video "Who is Morgan Valley part 1". She talks about getting into coaching, practicing against BT and DT, originally wanting to go to Tennessee and adversity. Impressive and great insight into the program.
If I were a betting man, my money would be on Morgan

Reaction Score
If I were to pick one, I would go for one with a proven track record of significant results. A person who is a fighter and refused to surrender. Someone who will also push people to the limits of their potential. I want someone who will accept nothing but victory and surround themselves with people who want the same thing - the pursuit of excellence. Some of these candidates are young and do not have that experience even thought that they may have been lucky to spend a year in a P5 conference. We may like them because they are former UConn players but in my mind it is doubtful that they will suceed. The only former UConn player that I would want is Diana Taurasi, but she has no experience coaching. Why - Diana, without a doubt has the killer instinct and that is what you need for the UConn coaches of the future. I am confident that she will not be it, but she has the character.

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale..Sherri Coale.....This former head coach at OU has entered my flawed brain. She may not quite fit all criteria, but is respected by Geno. She sure has the experience and could ultimately take over. Yes, she is not a youngie, but has a good ten years, assuming good health, left to coach, She appears to be respected almost everywhere and can come in and command respect, just on her name and resume. If she still has the fire in her gut, and Geno and CD believe in her....yes, yes yes. It is just a thought after reading all BY comments. If she wants to work with the great kids on the floor.....perfect.
By my consensus, it appears that the majority of BY'ers expect Morgan Valley to get the job.....fine with me....just think a little about Sherri and what she would bring to the elite progarm. Very impt. decision here!

Reaction Score
Jen is not a candidate for the job. She does not want the job. The job description has nothing to do with Jen. She does not need to be excluded.
Question for you. IYO, if GA decides he's had enough and retires, is there any possibility that CD would like to take the job to cap off her career as a HC?

Reaction Score
Question for you. IYO, if GA decides he's had enough and retires, is there any possibility that CD would like to take the job to cap off her career as a HC?
one scenario is having CD take over for a few years and having a younger coach brought in to be groomed.........of course if Diana Taurasi or Sue Bird had an interest that would be a possibility too.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't know. If it were a few years ago I'd say yes. In a few years when Geno does retire? Depends on if there is a plan for a younger coach to take over. CD is 5-6 years younger than Geno.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
one scenario is having CD take over for a few years and having a younger coach brought in to be groomed.........of course if Diana Taurasi or Sue Bird had an interest that would be a possibility too.....
From the interviews I've read about CD, she's completely secure in being the "1A", and not sure she'd want to be the HC, but perhaps in a temp role to assist in the transition. Or, she would stay as the 1A for the new coach for continuity sake. And no idea why this keeps popping in my head, but in either of these scenarios, I see the future HC in waiting to be Carla Berube. Just something about her trajectory and success at Tufts and Princeton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom