Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
how about Muffet?........:eek:
Glad you and @UcMiami got a chuckle on this one :rolleyes: ; however, neither Niele or Muffet would qualify. Both have only coached at one P5 conference.

If you wanted a Domer coach, there is one in South Bend that qualifies: Coquese Washington (HC in B1G (Penn State), Asst. coach in ACC (ND, two stints), Big12 (Oklahoma)). The jury is largely still out on Round 2 of her stays in ND (primarily because she was hired during and performed during a pandemic).

Reaction Score
One thing that wasn't on the job posting was that the applicant has to be female. Geno only hires female assistants, but he couldn't put that on the job posting for legal reasons.

Reaction Score
I would say we can gauarantee a female since Geno has discussed that since he is male in a female sport that all his assistants would be female. He's said that often.

I also would say I bet the choice will be a woman of color.

And if not a woman of color, I would say definitely then diversity through sexual orientation would be part of the selection.

It's women's basketball in the year 2021 so diversity and inclusion will be part of the decision making criteria. Geno is progressive in that way so he will make his choice an example of moving in a positive direction in these areas.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ok, again the BY has alot of things to say, and of course opinions. Number 1, she or he has to be a former guard, and a very accomplished guard at that. Also, should have some great experience already coming in. Why?? The person that we hire will not be coaching any team of players, but the two most generational players possibly in the history of CBB. This coach is suppose to know more than them, have the experience to bring them to the next level, to mentor them to be the best tandem of all time. This is a unique opportunity for someone to come in and elevate them to that status. I'm sure that if Geno has an open mind, there may be someone out there that he is not thinking of at this time. I hope that the stringent requirements don't prevent a coach that can handle this challenge from applying. This is a bigger hire than ever before based on the talent that we have, so I hope Geno isn't rushing into this without taking a good look around the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Depends on what each is looking for next in their careers. UCONN is expect to contend for championships the next 3 years. An assistant coach looking to get back to be being a HC might be willing to take a pay cut to build a resume.
Or one who wants to win a championship. Think George Blaney on the men's side.

(That said, I think we need a younger coach to round out the staff.)

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Another name on the UConn tree that doesn't qualify, I don't think she coached college, is Kelly Schumacher. She is a post also, but may be one day she will want to be back in Storrs.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
there are way more men that meet this criteria than women.....just saying
Why should that even be a consideration? Just asking
Yes, there are more men than women that meet some/all of the criteria, as when you look at the entire college BB coaching population, there are more men. Until more women are given the chance in any coaching roles, there will be an inherent imbalance in coaching genders. If Geno and CD feel that the most qualified person to fill the slot is a man, then so be it. It will be different for the long term fans who have only seen female asst. coaches, not counting student managers or other support staff. However, there is something to be said for head coaches that give more women opportunities, as without, they will never get the experience needed for HC jobs. As much as I didn't like some of her comments, Muffet did this, and was clear why. With no factual evidence whatsoever, perhaps Geno feels more comfortable surrounding himself with confident women coaches, as we've seen, his mom and wife are strong women.

Reaction Score
I actually went through every post of this thread. This is very entertaining. It looks like the stage has been set and this pick is filled with lots of DRAMA! Who could this be?

Muffet McGraw, Kim Mulkey, Rick Pitino, ...Brenda Freese, Dawn Staley.......Gail Gostinkers,........Sheri Coale, ...Trumpets please.......the pick is.........(fill in the blanks).

Reaction Score
Some interesting reads on Morgan Valley. Note the quotes and recommendations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, there are more men than women that meet some/all of the criteria, as when you look at the entire college BB coaching population, there are more men. Until more women are given the chance in any coaching roles, there will be an inherent imbalance in coaching genders. If Geno and CD feel that the most qualified person to fill the slot is a man, then so be it. It will be different for the long term fans who have only seen female asst. coaches, not counting student managers or other support staff. However, there is something to be said for head coaches that give more women opportunities, as without, they will never get the experience needed for HC jobs. As much as I didn't like some of her comments, Muffet did this, and was clear why. With no factual evidence whatsoever, perhaps Geno feels more comfortable surrounding himself with confident women coaches, as we've seen, his mom and wife are strong women.
Appreciate the response. I don't want to risk this thread becoming political and say something unkind about MM. I'm still quite puzzled as to why this even came up. My simple way of thinking had assumed the best qualified candidate will get the job.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Glad you and @UcMiami got a chuckle on this one :rolleyes: ; however, neither Niele or Muffet would qualify. Both have only coached at one P5 conference.

If you wanted a Domer coach, there is one in South Bend that qualifies: Coquese Washington (HC in B1G (Penn State), Asst. coach in ACC (ND, two stints), Big12 (Oklahoma)). The jury is largely still out on Round 2 of her stays in ND (primarily because she was hired during and performed during a pandemic).
I know the BE isn't currently, but I think they might stretch to members of the P6 from olde Big East days. In which case, You have Muffet and Niele who both coached at ND in the Olde BE and then transferred to Notre Dame in the new ACC :confused: :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Tamika Williams-Jeter - Women's Basketball Coach - Penn State University Athletics (gopsusports.com)

Pretty sure it is one of them. Either would be a good addition to the staff.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Morgan is currently the Head Coach at Hartford so she would need to resign that position to take an Asst Coach position at UConn. No one here knows whether she is prepared to do that. She checks every box in the minimum and preferred qualifications and she wouldn't have to relocate.

No doubt she has impressed many at her various stops.

Here's a cool story about Morgan, Sue and Adia Barnes.

There's a lot more to Morgan than a couple of difficult seasons at Hartford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't it that they write the specs to fit someone they already have in mind? (Power 5 reference, sorry Jen)

Reaction Score
This thread feels like an episode of "The Masked Singer". The clue package is the job description and we are all the Judges trying to guess who the singer Assistant Coach is behind the mask! All we need is Jonathan the Husky mascot to take off his head to reveal the new Assistant Coach!

Reaction Score
This thread feels like an episode of "The Masked Singer". The clue package is the job description and we are all the Judges trying to guess who the singer Assistant Coach is behind the mask! All we need is Jonathan the Husky mascot to take off his head to reveal the new Assistant Coach!
OMG. I love this analogy. You are so right!!!

Reaction Score
You are correct that the posting is a formality, given the State requirement that open positions be posted, but wrong in your conclusion that the listed qualifications aren't tailored to a specific person. Tailoring the qualifications is exactly how employers get around the posting requirement. Take a look at the posting that went up before Jasmine Lister was hired. There were only two people in the country who matched all the requirements in it, Jas and Chloe Pavlech. And the qualifications in that posting could not be more different than the ones in the current posting. That is because Geno has targeted a specific person who is the complete opposite of Jas. I guarantee you, once the required posting week has ended, the selection will be announced within days.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t see the “Jasmine” posting, so had no idea they were completely different. I worked in HR for many years and generic postings were common.

Reaction Score
It is Morgan Valley.
She checks all the minimum requirements.

Let's look at the preferred qualifications.
1. She is now a Div 1 coach at Hartford.
2. She was an assistant coach of the Washington Huskies during their 2016 FF run.
3. She coached Kelsey Plum at UW
4. She had played at UConn 2000-2003

Tamika Williams checks out requirement 2, 3 and 4. She does not check out 1.
Morgan Valley went 1-28 in 2019 and 3-9 in 2020. Connecticut would be a better pasture. Going to UConn is not unprecedented.
When Bill Walsh returned to Stanford in 1992, Terry Shea left his head coaching position at San Jose to join him as an assistant coach.

The only other person I can think of is Kim McNeill at East Carolina who succeeded Rizzotti at Hartford (and preceded Morgan). She is more entrenched than Morgan at head coaching position to consider this offer.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom