Anyway | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyway

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I dunno. He couldn't recruit in year one because he came in too late.

Good thing no other coaches get fired/hired in December since we'd have tons of examples of their programs turning to disasters oh wait that's literally what happens a dozen times across the sport every year and none of them became this bad.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We should be hiring the winner of the FCS championship every 3 years until we find someone who can coach that will be better than what we are doing right now.

Reaction Score
We should be hiring the winner of the FCS championship every 3 years until we find someone who can coach that will be better than what we are doing right now.

I’m down with either this plan....or hiring Paul Johnson

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think using "we're very young" in a coach's 3rd year is a indictment.
Fair. But when you've got a whole roster that isn't D1 talent it is going to take time. It's not like he can magically replace the whole team year 1.

Still, my comment wasn't defending Randy. It was Whaler's find the defense of the team. That's the best I've got. 43% True or RS freshmen. It is what it is. I agree it isn't much.

Reaction Score
I'm not an insider, but my perception is that Edsall and Benedict are aligned on a plan. Seems to me the way they both work. It may prove out that they have the wrong strategy, but I don't think Benedict cuts Edsall loose for lots of reasons, not the least of which is money.

I don't think Lashlee would come back here for all the money in the world.

I agree they are on the same page - a complete rebuild based on playing new recruits from year 1, results be damned in years 1-4. They have both committed to this strategy for 5 years. In year 5 we will either field a respectable FBS program or there will be no FBS football in year 6, if there is football at all.

C

Chief00

His wife is a Southern Belle & hated Connecticut. She couldn't wait to get out of Dodge. If Mama's not happy....
I have heard that narrative and while it correctly reflects his wife’s regional preference, I don’t believe it was the primary reason why he left, nor would it interfere with a 7 figure reason for being head coach here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yup, there's that. (I am referring to all the glimmers of light previously mentioned.) Probably true things will improve, but at about the same rate injuries take their toll based on history. Guessing that Illinois will be pretty much like Syracuse last year, almost the same colors even. Steven Krajewski should get some work in the fourth quarter.

CL82

Reaction Score
Basically what I’m saying is,

We are doomed.
... but only instituting an entirely new scheme during the season will save us?

Love you buddy, but no.... just no.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
This program is an unfunny joke.

I can see people already twisting themselves into pretzels to defend that disaster.

Only 2 more years until the 5 year plan starts.
Prophets are seldom revered in their own time.
I fear you are correct.

Reaction Score
I agree they are on the same page - a complete rebuild based on playing new recruits from year 1, results be damned in years 1-4. They have both committed to this strategy for 5 years. In year 5 we will either field a respectable FBS program or there will be no FBS football in year 6, if there is football at all.

Lol......... Edsall's in the last chapter, and Benedict's in the index looking for a new coach.

Reaction Score
Prophets are seldom revered in their own time.
I fear you are correct.

You didn't need to be a prophet to see this coming a mile away. Edsall only knows one way to coach and one way to run a program. He's the definition of rigid when it comes to this. His moderate level of success at Uconn was accomplished in a different era and with better players. That dog simply don't hunt anymore. Too young, too weak, not all in etc are all just excuses to distract the fan base. "Hey we brought back The C what else do you want?"

Truly good coaches can take what's given to them and start to rebuild without burning the house to the ground first. Does anyone look at the product on the field or the recruits coming in next year, or the last few years and think this situation will be markedly better 2 years from now?

I suppose if AD Dave concocts a schedule of just 2-3 FBS Teams and a combination of FCS and the worst FBS Schools in America they can game their way to 6 wins, but who would care? Game will be like a practice because there won't be any fans there to watch them.

Getting rid of Diaco was necessary as he was a legit crazy person, however it pains me to say his teams were more competitive on the field than what RE 2.0 has shown so far. JMO but at the end of the season Uconn needs to offer Randy a paycheck and some bogus title in The AD to go away quietly. Its time to get a coach who understands modern offense, and who can connect with players from 2019 not just 1999.

Coaches have won big at places like Montana, NDSU/SDSU, Utah/USU/ BYU, WAZZU and places worse. Uconn is never going to the playoff, but it can still field a team worth watching. Last night wasn't that team. Win more than three games this year or pull the plug. Less tells me that this thing is headed nowhere, and 2 years more will simply be two years wasted.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
JMO but at the end of the season Uconn needs to offer Randy a paycheck and some bogus title in The AD to go away quietly.
Uh, if we wanted to get rid of him, why exactly would we do that?

Reaction Score
Yeah, idk what to say about any of this BS other than it was absolutely the right choice to go back to the Big East with our tail between our legs. A competent football program is a thing of the past for UConn whether we stay in the AAC or go independent. It's dead, and Edsall ain't bringing it back.

It makes me nostalgic and sad, watching UConn football. It's still hard to imagine how we've gotten to a place where we have to hold our breath on opening night against FCS competition year after year. It seems like yesterday I was on campus watching the fiesta bowl with my friends and my girlfriend at the time. But that was almost 9 years ago. Time freakin flies.

My fiance got home from work last night when we were up 10-0 at the half.

"Well that's better than you probably thought!" she said
"Just wait" I said
She came back 20 minutes or so later right after the pick 6 and I was just smiling and shaking my head.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
That is funny.. it is how we roll at U of C. Coaches leave and we continue to pay.....the old ones and the new hires.

Reaction Score
JMO but at the end of the season Uconn needs to offer Randy a paycheck and some bogus title in The AD to go away quietly.

I think he could be of some value to the athletic dept if he stayed on in another capacity.

Reaction Score

For PR Purposes. It stops the program's most identifiable coach from speaking out against his departure, and keeps former players and whatever fans he might have left from stirring up s***. Uconn can wheel him out every once and awhile to shake hands, take photos and reminisce about the old days.

CL82

Reaction Score
For PR Purposes. It stops the program's most identifiable coach from speaking out against his departure, and keeps former players and whatever fans he might have left from stirring up s***. Uconn can wheel him out every once and awhile to shake hands, take photos and reminisce about the old days.
Ah, ok. I understand your point, though we'd probably disagree on the value.

@huskyrob1 is that more or less what you were thinking?

Reaction Score
Ah, ok. I understand your point, though we'd probably disagree on the value.

@huskyrob1 is that more or less what you were thinking?
Yes, a UConn Husky with a kind face.

11cda4ab9c513528f31db9fd587612a5.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom