Aneesah Morrow | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There was a somewhat analogous situation when Geno had an interest in hiring Jasmine Lister as an assistant coach. Lister had been a graduate assistant at UConn. Geno had recommended her to Doug who hired her as an Assistant Coach.

When Marisa left UConn to take the HC job at BU, Geno asked Doug about Jasmine’s availability. Doug was very supportive of the move, believing it was a great career opportunity for Jasmine. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. But I think Doug and Geno are absolutely the best of friends, and Doug would have no problem supporting Morrow moving on to UConn.

Having said that, I don’t necessarily feel that Morrow and UConn are a good fit. With Aaliyah down in the low post, I don’t see how you also have Morrow in the lineup, unless you move one of them outside, which is not optimal for whoever ends up away from the basket.

This would set up the same situation as when Pheesa & Z played together during the 2017-18 season. Neither player was particularly effective from the perimeter.
Morrow would be a good fit in lots of places, just not here.

Reaction Score
The players that left had to be replaced. Players come, players go. If you lose six, you bring six in, or however many you lost. I used six only as an example. There are reasons players leave a program, just like there are reasons players come to a program. The perceptions of any program are much different to the players leaving than those coming in. Frese lost several players over the last two years including her best player from last year Angel Reese, right? Do you know why she left? Inquiring minds want to know. Players just don't enter the portal for the hell of it. That's a major decision to leave one program and try to join another starting from square one and trying to fit in.

BTW......speaking of Angel Reese, Biden's press secretary clarifies White House invitation is just for LSU after a player calls it ‘A JOKE’
She supposedly left because of NIL opportunities and because she wanted to play more on the perimeter. Of course she ended up shooting more from the paint than she ever did at MD. Go figure.

Reaction Score
There was a somewhat analogous situation when Geno had an interest in hiring Jasmine Lister as an assistant coach. Lister had been a graduate assistant at UConn. Geno had recommended her to Doug who hired her as an Assistant Coach.

When Marisa left UConn to take the HC job at BU, Geno asked Doug about Jasmine’s availability. Doug was very supportive of the move, believing it was a great career opportunity for Jasmine.
Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. But I think Doug and Geno are absolutely the best of friends, and Doug would have no problem supporting Morrow moving on to UConn.

Having said that, I don’t necessarily feel that Morrow and UConn are a good fit. With Aaliyah down in the low post, I don’t see how you also have Morrow in the lineup, unless you move one of them outside, which is not optimal for whoever ends up away from the basket.

This would set up the same situation as when Pheesa & Z played together during the 2017-18 season. Neither player was particularly effective from the perimeter.
The bolded areas are a little confusing as to the timeline. The first is correct. Bruno did hire Lister at DePaul in June 2017 with Auriemma's recommendation, but not from UConn. She left UConn in July 2016 and went to UWashington where she left after less than a year in June 2017 to go to DePaul. For the second bolded, when Moseley left UConn in April 2018 for BU, Auriemma didn't replace her with Lister because Lister had already left UConn in 2016. As for Morrow, I agree with you that she's not a fit for UConn.

Jasmine Lister - WOMEN'S BASKETBALL Coach - DePaul University Athletics

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The bolded areas are a little confusing as to the timeline. The first is correct. Bruno did hire Lister at DePaul in June 2017 with Auriemma's recommendation, but not from UConn. She left UConn in July 2016 and went to UWashington where she left after less than a year in June 2017 to go to DePaul. For the second bolded, when Moseley left UConn in April 2018 for BU, Auriemma didn't replace her with Lister because Lister had already left UConn in 2016. As for Morrow, I agree with you that she's not a fit for UConn.

Jasmine Lister - WOMEN'S BASKETBALL Coach - DePaul University Athletics
Lister went dark after she left UConn and stayed there. Has she surfaced anywhere yet? :eek: Does anyone have any information or idea where she is now?

Reaction Score
The players that left had to be replaced. Players come, players go. If you lose six, you bring six in, or however many you lost. I used six only as an example. There are reasons players leave a program, just like there are reasons players come to a program. The perceptions of any program are much different to the players leaving than those coming in. Frese lost several players over the last two years including her best player from last year Angel Reese, right? Do you know why she left? Inquiring minds want to know. Players just don't enter the portal for the hell of it. That's a major decision to leave one program and try to join another starting from square one and trying to fit in.

BTW......speaking of Angel Reese, Biden's press secretary clarifies White House invitation is just for LSU after a player calls it ‘A JOKE’
Why are you focused on the ones that left? I dare say the players coming in have a better idea than you ,as to what they are getting into..Any team would have loved to have gotten Abby Meyers or Brinae Alexander. They chose Maryland, over many other Schools, I'm sure.How come? Not to mention ,perhaps the best all around player this season, Miller, staying put with Freese for her career. How come? As I said( if you read), Angel Reese said that Mulkey said she would have more freedom position-wise, at LSU. Brenda played her strictly as a center. Actually I think some players do leave programs just for the hell of it. Look at that LSU player , Alexis Morris,who had such a great final four. LSU was her 4th team in 4 years.Freese has been a favorite target for Boneyarders for a long time. I've wondered for a long time why a supposedly knowledgeable group could be do far off track regarding one of the long time best coaches in the women's game.

Reaction Score
Correct, this site doesn't appear to have a good track record. However, let's not forget that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

But the real question is why is only this site reporting it?
Because the site is a joke and the guy doesn't bother to verify or substantiate anything. Just wild guesses to get clicks. Remember Cardoso to UConn within a day or two?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
...but can they play basketball?
Haley led Miami in scoring and assists and was second in rebounding. Haley is a 2000 point career scorer and Hanna is over 1500.

How in the world is there this perception that they aren't real basketball players? It's ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Haley led Miami in scoring and assists and was second in rebounding. Haley is a 2000 point career scorer and Hanna is over 1500.

How in the world is there this perception that they aren't real basketball players? It's ridiculous.
I knew I should have added a few emoji's to my post to avoid any misunderstandings, it came back to bite my buttocks. My initial post was what is the fascination with the twins and then it was tongue and cheek from there.

That last sentence. If you have to explain the meeting with wealthy alumus John Ruiz, had nothing to do with their decision to play for the Hurricanes...it probably did. Can anyone explain the fascination with the Cavinder twins?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I knew I should have added a few emoji's to my post to avoid any misunderstandings, it came back to bite my buttocks. My initial post was what is the fascination with the twins and then it was tongue and cheek from there.
Oops, my bad!

Reaction Score
Morrow would be a good fit in lots of places, just not here.
I actually think Morrow might be a good fit at Maryland. With Diamond Miller leaving, she could fill her role. Morrow would make a dynamic 1-2 combo with Sellers, and Brenda has demonstrated that she knows how to construct an offense with a lot of 6'0 to 6'2 players.

Miller is hard to replace, but Morrow can certainly wear those shoes.

Reaction Score
I mean SC fans are claiming their bench players are better than the 4 seniors they are losing to the draft so why would they need Morrow ? She’s a heck of a player and a rebound machine so someone’s gonna get a very good player
They have no bench player to replace Boston. Cardozo is really good, but mostly because she is 6'7". Morrow would replace Boston.

Reaction Score
Why do I feel like it would be intriguing to watch her play with Clark at Iowa. Two big time scorers. Morrow would be the beneficiary of many Clark Assists, and Iowa has a proven track record with developing post players. Would be interesting but highly highly unlikely.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Assuming she is close to coach Bruno, and has great respect for him, might he point her to Storrs and coach Auriemma? Is that even allowed? As someone else posted, Iowa would be a great fit as well, given that their great center ( Cinzano?) is moving on. We shall see. Best thing for UCONN fans is to think baseball and wait to be surprised. I continue to believe Notre Dame will be in the hunt.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually I think it does put UCONN first. UCONN is more than what it does on the court. Always has been.

There are a lot of posters on here who have a very screwed up vision of what UCONN basketball is.
We'll just disagree on this one.

Reaction Score
I doubt very much Morrow (or any player for that matter) is going to care whether the new coach is friends with the old one. The coaches may care though. And what do we think Doug will say to Geno about this? Two possibilities:
1) “Don’t you dare sign her.”
2) “She’s a really good kid and we need to keep her in the Big East.”
You doubt it weighs on a player’s mind when making a decision, but you think coaches would care? I’m willing to bet coaches only care if they suspect foul play (I.e., recruiting before being in the portal). Come on now.

Reaction Score
They have no bench player to replace Boston. Cardozo is really good, but mostly because she is 6'7". Morrow would replace Boston.
I think Morrow could replace Boston on the offensive end but not as a defender. She was the backboard of SC defense. There is nothing in the portal that will replace that.

Reaction Score
Don't think this site has a good track record:

Of that list she might do well at MISS. STATE ( assuming no interest on Geno's part ).
As the Bulldogs (?) H.C. says " a dream and a dollar "

Reaction Score
I don’t think Geno would do it just based on his relationship with Doug Bruno.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Assuming she is close to coach Bruno, and has great respect for him, might he point her to Storrs and coach Auriemma? Is that even allowed? As someone else posted, Iowa would be a great fit as well, given that their great center ( Cinzano?) is moving on. We shall see. Best thing for UCONN fans is to think baseball and wait to be surprised. I continue to believe Notre Dame will be in the hunt.
I would not enjoy seeing Aneesah in Kelly Green, just my opinion. But, if she wants to
stay close to Chicago, maybe....

Reaction Score
Of that list she might do well at MISS. STATE ( assuming no interest on Geno's part ).
As the Bulldogs (?) H.C. says " a dream and a dollar "
Sorry, I got Mississippi mixed up "with that other school" my bad!

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Geno's relationship with Bruno would have anything to do the recruiting Morrow, if it happens? One should have nothing to do with the other. That makes zero sense to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom