An Appeal to UConn fans: for the Sport | The Boneyard

An Appeal to UConn fans: for the Sport

Reaction Score
As most, if not all, of you know, wbb is trying to get a tournament contract that is separate from the men’s in the well-founded belief that it will mean more money and exposure for the sport. It is important to that end that TV viewership be as strong as possible at this time.

You guys have the nation’s biggest fanbase and your continued viewership is critical to the cause!

I implore you to watch the final four games - or at least turn a tv set in your house onto the games if you just can’t stand to watch ( Yes, I understand that feeling). Feel free to watch and pull against my Gamecocks. :D

Viewership of wbb this year has been outstanding and you have certainly been a critical section of that viewership. Help the sport get to the finish line with the best year ever!

Thanks!

Reaction Score
I was planning to watch. I wouldn't worry about the SC/Iowa game. I have a feeling the viewership for that will be huge. I also think the first game will do OK because a lot of people have certain feelings about Mulkey.

Watching the championship game, for me, may depend on who wins tonight.

Reaction Score
I was planning to watch. I wouldn't worry about the SC/Iowa game. I have a feeling the viewership for that will be huge. I also think the first game will do OK because a lot of people have certain feelings about Mulkey.

Watching the championship game, for me, may depend on who wins tonight.
Well, leave a TV on for the championship even if you don't watch.:)

sun

Reaction Score
The ratings for the NC game may only be extrapolated since it's on a national TV network.
I'm not sure how they ascertain ESPN ratings but perhaps it's done the exact same way.
That means that it's possible that ratings are not based on actual viewership, but rather on a selected sample of viewers who are paid to wear an electronic monitoring device during their daily activities.

That's how Nielsen ratings, one of the major rating companies obtains their ratings.
Their monitoring devices pick up signals that are invisibly emitted by TV, radio, music & other streamed media.
This means that just because people turn on their TV to the NC game, they don't automatically get counted. Their viewership only gets counted if someone is wearing a monitoring device that is in the vicinity.
Then the monitoring device records & transmits a daily report to Nielsen about which shows that their selected sample audience have watched.
Nielsen mathematically extrapolates the results to estimate the viewership for the rest of the population.

Maybe streaming & cable connections can be counted another way.
But as far as independent agency ratings, Nielsen is considered to be a company that advertisers & networks trust for having an objective rating system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I plan to watch all the remaining games. Why give up an opportunity to see great teams in action? Would also be great to have fans of other teams watch when our team is playing. We need to come together to support the success of women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's as true any more. Anyone watching through roku, or any other app on the internet is likely tracked somehow.
they can be tracked but they aren't counted as a part of the nielson ratings, which is what is widely reported on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As most, if not all, of you know, wbb is trying to get a tournament contract that is separate from the men’s in the well-founded belief that it will mean more money and exposure for the sport. It is important to that end that TV viewership be as strong as possible at this time.

You guys have the nation’s biggest fanbase and your continued viewership is critical to the cause!

I implore you to watch the final four games - or at least turn a tv set in your house onto the games if you just can’t stand to watch ( Yes, I understand that feeling). Feel free to watch and pull against my Gamecocks. :D

Viewership of wbb this year has been outstanding and you have certainly been a critical section of that viewership. Help the sport get to the finish line with the best year ever!

Thanks!
Sure thing. Who’s playing…..:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Great thread. If we care about the continued growth of WBB, we will tune in. Coach Walz hit the nail on the head when he was talking about growing the game. We can't say that we love WBB and only watch when our program is doing good. If we love WBB, we are watching as much WBB as we can. I plan on watching all of the games. Like I said, I am a basketball junkie. I will be watching tonight's games, the WNIT Final tomorrow, and the Championship game on Sunday.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Thanks!
What are the viewer counts based upon? In the old days there was the Neilsens but the viewers were selected to participate, you had some kind of device connected to your tv. Now in the digital age, I think that the same is true except collecting the data is different.
I for one hope my tv viewership is not being monitored but in today's big tech world and stealing personal data, I am guessing that it is quite likely.
And to end my post, I am 99% certain that I will not watch any of the games live. I may check the score of the 7PM game via the ESPN app but that's about it.
Sorry.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Great thread. If we care about the continued growth of WBB, we will tune in. Coach Walz hit the nail on the head when he was talking about growing the game. We can't say that we love WBB and only watch when our program is doing good. If we love WBB, we are watching as much WBB as we can. I plan on watching all of the games. Like I said, I am a basketball junkie. I will be watching tonight's games, the WNIT Final tomorrow, and the Championship game on Sunday.
I also love college softball and football but will only watch games that includes specific teams. In fact I have discovered a YouTube channel that posts a huge number of softball game replays but, again, will only watch those specific teams (unless I watched the game live). I will also watch football game replays, sometimes even if I watched it live. Again, only when specific teams played.

sun

Reaction Score
Neilson rating have become less relevant every year. Though I do appreciate the dollar bill they send me every year or so.
This article provides a glimpse into why Nielsen ratings are important.
They measure how many people actually watch the commercials.
Nielsen has 100,000 households and their electronic monitors can detect the invisible signals that are emitted by the commercials which is important to advertisers.

C3 and C7 ratings: Arguably the most important ratings numbers that the public doesn’t usually see. These ratings track the number of viewers who actually watch commercials — which is why Nielsen ratings exist in the first place — over three or seven days. They play a big role in setting rates for advertisers buying commercial time.

Reaction Score
The only viewership that is counted is those with Nielson boxes. Watching or leaving a TV on wouldn't improve ratings unless you had one of those.
I don't think that is true anymore, especially for people who have internet wif with their satellite provider.

I'm gonna call on the person I consider the TV viewing expert, @awhom111

Reaction Score
I don't think that is true anymore, especially for people who have internet wif with their satellite provider.

I'm gonna call on the person I consider the TV viewing expert, @awhom111
The reported numbers are still from nielson who use sample sizes that reflect the whole population. The are other ways network track their numbers but those aren't the headline numbers reported.

Reaction Score
My home was the first wireless Nielsen household in Connecticut. (This was before widespread streaming was a thing.) They literally cracked opened every device that could transmit, in order to connect a wireless transmitter) and then a wireless device (hidden under a bed-- true story) connected nightly to report back to Nielsen. They also warrantied every device they had opened, so the day the house got hit by lightning was also the day that the Nielsen techs (best guys on the planet) came to the house with new DVD players and the like.

At first, I was really wary, but back then, it was also pretty cool. I think our agreement lasted 5 years. We had a non-disclosure contract (so we couldn't be bought off?) and our results were aggregated by use of a fancy algorithm. We received a quarterly check based on how many devices were used. We also weren't supposed to change our viewing habits at all, but I confess that the idea of watching, say, trashy television appealed less to me when I knew those reports would be factored into ratings. I do know that, nowadays, with the advent of being able to stream pretty much everything, Nielsen changed the monitoring model.

I ALWAYS had the WBB tournament on during those years, whether or not UConn was playing precisely for the reasons @visitingcock suggests.

Cool times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Need officials to call the game as the rules are written. You know how freedom of movement is supposed to be allowed.
This will never happen and never has happened in any sport. The home court advantage isn't just the crowd.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Plan to watch all 3 games. Normally we would be in the stands but that ended with Covid. The wife and I were even at the ones UConn weren't there. The last time that happened was '07. Travel just isn't in the cards anymore.

May the best team win! The best team on any given game could be either of the 2. :cool:;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom