An Appeal to UConn fans: for the Sport | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An Appeal to UConn fans: for the Sport

Reaction Score
Here's an essay from today's NYTimes that attempts to explain the exploding
success of women's sports. Its point is that these sports are gaining in monetary value as they generate increasing eyeballs. It focuses on this year's Final Four in wcb and notes the current stars (Clark, Boston)--espcially Caitlin who is like none other. Yet there is not a single mention of UConn's history of building interest in the sport--not one word. How is this possible?
Is this willful ignorance? Before Clark and Boston there were legions of legendary women's stars all tugging their uni straps forward to show the words "U Conn." No program can compare--not even close.

Reaction Score
The ratings will be very good this year, maybe better if SC hadn't made the FF. Fans of the game want to see more teams than UCONN, Stanford, SC and Tennessee in the day. The group of possible champs each year needs to grow for the sport to really grow and when that happens the followers of UCONN and other Blue Bloods will more than likely really become negative regarding the state of the program.

For me the game will continue to grow when you have players like Lou who aren't physical specimens having great success because she works hard and makes the most of what god gave her. It will grow as long as teams coach team and don't focus too much on the individual success of any one player and most of all it will grow as long as players stay in the same place for all 4 years and don't leave early to play pro ball.

In my opinion fans want to have a personal attachment to the players on the team and when the players don't seem to want that with the fans the interest falls off and you end up with what you have in other sports, mostly at the pro level right now but inching it's way into college.

Reaction Score
The ratings will be very good this year, maybe better if SC hadn't made the FF. Fans of the game want to see more teams than UCONN, Stanford, SC and Tennessee in the day. The group of possible champs each year needs to grow for the sport to really grow and when that happens the followers of UCONN and other Blue Bloods will more than likely really become negative regarding the state of the program.

For me the game will continue to grow when you have players like Lou who aren't physical specimens having great success because she works hard and makes the most of what god gave her. It will grow as long as teams coach team and don't focus too much on the individual success of any one player and most of all it will grow as long as players stay in the same place for all 4 years and don't leave early to play pro ball.

In my opinion fans want to have a personal attachment to the players on the team and when the players don't seem to want that with the fans the interest falls off and you end up with what you have in other sports, mostly at the pro level right now but inching it's way into college.

I disagree. I think it would be better if the FF was the three biggest TV viewing fanbases UConn, SCar, Iowa and somebody like Stanford from the West Coast. A David vs Goliath is much more interesting than four Davids slinging rocks at each other.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Here's an essay from today's NYTimes that attempts to explain the exploding
success of women's sports. Its point is that these sports are gaining in monetary value as they generate increasing eyeballs. It focuses on this year's Final Four in wcb and notes the current stars (Clark, Boston)--espcially Caitlin who is like none other. Yet there is not a single mention of UConn's history of building interest in the sport--not one word. How is this possible?
Is this willful ignorance? Before Clark and Boston there were legions of legendary women's stars all tugging their uni straps forward to show the words "U Conn." No program can compare--not even close.
To them, just like ESPN, UConn is the past not the future. They are all happy that they are, for the first time in 15 years, not in the Final Four.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
This will never happen and never has happened in any sport. The home court advantage isn't just the crowd.
Actually it has, the NBA was in a downward spiral until Bird and Magic brought back passing and flash. Then the Detroit Piston era was a low point until the Jordan teams had their run then the Spurs.

Reaction Score
I don't think that is true anymore, especially for people who have internet wif with their satellite provider.

I'm gonna call on the person I consider the TV viewing expert, @awhom111
Yes, only Nielsen households are counted in reported ratings.

There are tracking mechanisms for other viewing, but they are not accepted by third-parties or do not attempt the level of precision as Nielsen because most of them have no way of knowing how many people are in the room watching or whether you just tuned in and left the room.

Also, to correct the OP, people want the women's tournament to be its own contract. It is not currently tied to the men's tournament contract. It is a part of the same contract that allows ESPN to broadcast the NCAA championships of all of the other sports.

Reaction Score
Yes, only Nielsen households are counted in reported ratings.

There are tracking mechanisms for other viewing, but they are not accepted by third-parties or do not attempt the level of precision as Nielsen because most of them have no way of knowing how many people are in the room watching or whether you just tuned in and left the room.

Also, to correct the OP, people want the women's tournament to be its own contract. It is not currently tied to the men's tournament contract. It is a part of the same contract that allows ESPN to broadcast the NCAA championships of all of the other sports.
Thanks for correcting all my mistakes . . .but the message is still the same:

Please watch this weekend. It's good for the sport!

Reaction Score
I'll be watching the games tonight, and will probably be watching the Bird/Taurasi version at least for the VA Tech/LSU game.

I think the SC/Iowa game has the potential to be one of the best games of the year (if not the past several years) and I expect massive ratings for it.

While I wish more than anything UConn was playing in the first game, I know that the way the tournament has played out this year overall is great for the growth of the sport.

Reaction Score
As most, if not all, of you know, wbb is trying to get a tournament contract that is separate from the men’s in the well-founded belief that it will mean more money and exposure for the sport. It is important to that end that TV viewership be as strong as possible at this time.

You guys have the nation’s biggest fanbase and your continued viewership is critical to the cause!

I implore you to watch the final four games - or at least turn a tv set in your house onto the games if you just can’t stand to watch ( Yes, I understand that feeling). Feel free to watch and pull against my Gamecocks. :D

Viewership of wbb this year has been outstanding and you have certainly been a critical section of that viewership. Help the sport get to the finish line with the best year ever!

Thanks!
Not...a...chance

Reaction Score
Neilson rating have become less relevant every year. Though I do appreciate the dollar bill they send me every year or so.
I took advantage of the $20 check they sent me for filling out the survey. :rolleyes:

I would think Sunday's NC game on ABC will garner more eyeballs than tonight's games on the ESPN "family" of networks.

Reaction Score
As most, if not all, of you know, wbb is trying to get a tournament contract that is separate from the men’s in the well-founded belief that it will mean more money and exposure for the sport. It is important to that end that TV viewership be as strong as possible at this time.

You guys have the nation’s biggest fanbase and your continued viewership is critical to the cause!

I implore you to watch the final four games - or at least turn a tv set in your house onto the games if you just can’t stand to watch ( Yes, I understand that feeling). Feel free to watch and pull against my Gamecocks. :D

Viewership of wbb this year has been outstanding and you have certainly been a critical section of that viewership. Help the sport get to the finish line with the best year ever!

Thanks!
I'll be watching both games for sure...........just make sure you remember this request for next season when our roles will be reversed!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's as true any more. Anyone watching through roku, or any other app on the internet is likely tracked somehow.
I hope it isn't... family works for Nielsen and they like to find out-of-the-way families to track.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t miss these games for the world. Clark and Boston is an epic matchup. My grandson graduated a couple of years ago from Tech - so I’m all over that one too!

Nice idea to reach out to our fan base @visitingcock. Good luck to your ladies (although I’ll be rooting for Iowa).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks!
I'll be watching both games. I won't have a problem watching either game. I'm looking forward to them. I enjoy WCBB. I predicted that SC would win the championship. I want to see if I was right. I'll be strutting around the boneyard like a rooster after they win.;) I can't imagine Iowa winning, but.....................crap happens.

Carnac sez......it will be SC and Virginia Tech in the championship game. Sadly LSU meets its "waterloo" tonight, then VT two nights later. :eek:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'll be watching the Bird and Taurasi version tonight and Sunday.

I DVR them, though -- start half an hour or so late and watch without commercials. Sorry.

Reaction Score

Thanks!
You’re off to a great start
Watching the one hour ESPN game day program
The fans in the background and the commentators are feeling it
Closest thing to the excitement of NCAA Saturday football game days that I recall for NCAA WBB
Its definitely good for the game

Reaction Score
You’re off to a great start
Watching the one hour ESPN game day program
The fans in the background and the commentators are feeling it
Closest thing to the excitement of NCAA Saturday football game days that I recall for NCAA WBB
Its definitely good for the game

Reaction Score
Have to temporarily ignore the usual ESPN hyper nonsense but it’s for a good cause ;)

Reaction Score
No one wants to see a LSU-SC Final which will most likely be ugly, physical basketball with both teams shooting 40% or less. I wont be watching and I'm guessing most of America wont be either.

Reaction Score
If I don't have Neilsen devices will they still be able to count me if I'm watching?

Reaction Score

Thanks!
Watching

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom