Americans Abroad | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
Club Brugge just signed Simon Mignolet to a 5 year contract, which most likely will push Horvath to #2 keeper. Unfortunate. He has yet to allow a goal from the run of play (only a Penalty goal conceded this season).

Surprising, Mignolet is a vet at 31 years and I can see the move if Brugge wanted some experience; but, Horvath looked good in Europa last year. Maybe they're worried that they may lose Horvath during the winter transfer window?

Reaction Score
In good news, Gloster is moving from Hannover 96 to PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands. He'll be behind Toni Lato in the pecking order for starting LB; bu, it looks like everyone involved sees him moving-up in the near future. If he can get significant playing time, it would be great for him and for the USMNT as LB is one of the team's weakest positions.

In less than great news, apparently USSF is digging in on their claim that the USWNT plyers make as much as the USMNT players. So instead of paying the 4-times World Cup winners more, they have hired a lobbyist to spin a few stories for them. This will not end well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In less than great news, apparently USSF is digging in on their claim that the USWNT plyers make as much as the USMNT players. So instead of paying the 4-times World Cup winners more, they have hired a lobbyist to spin a few stories for them. This will not end well.

Well USSF needs to get the facts out there to combat the misinformation being put by the WNT reps.

Reaction Score
Well USSF needs to get the facts out there to combat the misinformation being put by the WNT reps.

They set up a false comparison though.

They need to compare like for like.

The pay for the women's pro league is essentially extra work for the women, work that isn't included when considering the men.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They set up a false comparison though.

They need to compare like for like.

The pay for the women's pro league is essentially extra work for the women, work that isn't included when considering the men.
Agree the women have set a false comparison. The women get a lot more money and benefits than the men do.

Now if the women want to give up the guaranteed pay and just take what the men get, that would be fair....but there ain't no way they'd do that.

However, the travel, accommodations, fields should be brought up to the men's standards. That's were it's unfair to the women.

Reaction Score
Cameron Carter Vickers loaned to Stoke City for the year. Injuries prevented CCV from playing in the preseason, which was very unfortunate for him. Spurs only have 4 center backs who have stepped onto the field on the roster, and one of them -- Foyth -- may be converted to right back. But being unable to play in the preseason, there was no chance to convince the brass he should be kept, so for the third straight year he's loaned to a Championship side.

The good news is they haven't sold him, so they are still presumably holding onto the belief that one day he can help them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cameron Carter Vickers loaned to Stoke City for the year. Injuries prevented CCV from playing in the preseason, which was very unfortunate for him. Spurs only have 4 center backs who have stepped onto the field on the roster, and one of them -- Foyth -- may be converted to right back. But being unable to play in the preseason, there was no chance to convince the brass he should be kept, so for the third straight year he's loaned to a Championship side.

The good news is they haven't sold him, so they are still presumably holding onto the belief that one day he can help them.
Hopefully he will get plenty of playing time.

Reaction Score
Agree the women have set a false comparison. The women get a lot more money and benefits than the men do.

Now if the women want to give up the guaranteed pay and just take what the men get, that would be fair....but there ain't no way they'd do that.

However, the travel, accommodations, fields should be brought up to the men's standards. That's were it's unfair to the women.

How do they get more money?

I just read an article about how, outside the NWSL, the women get considerably less.

The NWSL money is very short, and if the league didn't exist, these women would get paid anyway in Europe.

You need to compare national team salaries to national team salaries. Using only the women's league salaries makes no sense.

Reaction Score
US Soccer pays their salaries because when this agreement happened there was no real leagues in Europe. There still isnt, just a few teams in each country.

If US Soccer didnt pay they would be making so much less in the league. They needed something to do that was not just being a full time national team, which they essentially were. This deal allowed them some level of normalcy that the men have.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How do they get more money?
USSF pays the women their salary + NT stipends (plus I believe they get other benefits, maternity leave, health ins)
USSF pays the men the NT stipends (granted at a higher rate than the WNT) but does not pay the men any salary.

Soooo, normally, the women end up making more than the men. However, that will of course depend on how many games individual players play in and of course how many games there are each year. Which is one of the main problems with having WNT on salary. When they call in players for camps, they pretty much always call in the salaried players, whether they are in form or not. Cause....they are getting paid anyway. This can keep a lot of newer (not salaried) younger women out of the pool for camps.

If you look at the USSF's 990 Tax Form form from 2018, they have a part (Part VII Sect. A) that lists "Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, and Highest Compensated Employees". Besides the President, CEO, CFO, Coaches, there are 4 actual players listed (list only goes to 32 persons). 4 WNT players (no MNT players). Press, Sauerbrunn, O'Hara and Mewis, each making > $247,000. Again, no MNT players are on that list.

You need to compare national team salaries to national team salaries. Using only the women's league salaries makes no sense.
NOT including the WNT salaries does not make sense. Because they are getting paid by USSF. It's part of their compensation. It's in their CBA.

Reaction Score
Back on the Americans Abroad topic and related to lawyer's on-topic post above, Stoke City CCV article.

He was wanted by a number of clubs at this level and we’re delighted to have managed to sign him.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time for a new thread for the new season. 24+ pages is a lot

Reaction Score
I’ve never said this but I am looking forward to watching Chelsea.

Reaction Score
Zach Steffen had a nice debut for Düsseldorf. He made 9 saves in a 3-1 upset away win at Bremen. Sargent subbed on in the 86th minute, had a nice half volley saved by Steffen, late.

Brooks was solid for Wolfsburg, going 90 minutes in their win.

Dest and McKennie both starting for Ajax and Schalke. Matches still in progress.

Weah is a sub for Lille.

Reaction Score
Someone at USSF HQ needs to stop counting money and put out the red carpet for Soto and ensure he doesn't head south for either Chile or Mexico...

Reaction Score
The only goal today in Greuther Fürth's win over Jahn Regensburg was scored by Julian Green. This was his second goal in the first three games of the Second Bundesliga. Jann George entered at the beginning of the second half for Jahn.

Attachments

• Julian Green goal.jpg
    Julian Green goal.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 19
Reaction Score
Tough day for Pulisic. Showed flashes early, but then was easily dispossessed of the ball when trying 1 v 1. He was the lowest rated player for both teams today. Assuming Willian is fully fit (he subbed in for CP in the 2nd half) I anticipate he’ll start over CP next weekend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tim Chandler subbed in late, fought off a challenge and dropped a dime to Pacencia for Frankfurt's only goal against Leipzig this morning. He looked good I hope he can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Tim Chandler subbed in late, fought off a challenge and dropped a dime to Pacencia for Frankfurt's only goal against Leipzig this morning. He looked good I hope he can stay healthy.

He’s not a real American though.

Reaction Score
The only goal today in Greuther Fürth's win over Jahn Regensburg was scored by Julian Green. This was his second goal in the first three games of the Second Bundesliga. Jann George entered at the beginning of the second half for Jahn.

Also not a real American.

In all seriousness though... 2 Bundesliga is still better than MLS. And yet we trot out Paul Arriola who is clearly inferior to Julian Green.

Our program is a joke.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also not a real American.

In all seriousness though... 2 Bundesliga is still better than MLS. And yet we trot out Paul Arriola who is clearly inferior to Julian Green.

Our program is a joke.
A couple things. One, I don't think (and there are ratings to support) 2Bund is better than MLS. One rating that had all the leagues, had MLS at 15. 2Bund at 37.

And secondly, according to your article Green is playing the 8. Not what Arriola plays. But yes, I'd much rather see Pulisic and Weah on the wings. We'll what we get here next week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom