Americans Abroad | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
We can like him, we just know he will never reach his potential.
We can all like Aaron and reasonably believe it will take Long(er) to reach his potential against lesser MLS talent, but also know just going to Europe is no guarantee.

Reaction Score
We can all like Aaron and reasonably believe it will take Long(er) to reach his potential against lesser MLS talent, but also know just going to Europe is no guarantee.

I agree on the talent and development sides, Europe provides greater competition than MLS in the top 5 or so divisions (Emgland, Spain, Germany, Italy, France and maybe the Netherlands); but success is not guaranteed. The problem is USSF seems to be more interested in supporting the business side of US soccer and sees the USMNT as its marketing arm. That's where the issue with MLS really rears its head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dest starts again for Ajax (he's started every first team preseason friendly per twitter) and whips in an assist against Panathinaikos (spelling?), one of Greece's top clubs.

He's making that first team and is going to play some rotational minutes at the least. Stock rapidly rising.

Reaction Score
Dest starts again for Ajax (he's started every first team preseason friendly per twitter) and whips in an assist against Panathinaikos (spelling?), one of Greece's top clubs.

He's making that first team and is going to play some rotational minutes at the least. Stock rapidly rising.

They're playing PAOK, not Panathinaikos. PAOK is located in Salonica, Panathinaikos is Athens.

Reaction Score
I think that US Soccer's plan, through its DA, is now coming to fruition. This may be the best set of young players we have ever had. When I looked at the DA all-star teams at every level both boys and girls, the best players were clearly coming through the academies, and this was true even on the girl's side. 90% of the USWNT went through those academies. More on the boy's side.

They teach unity of play, systematically, and though this has come under a lot of criticism (Anson Dorrance for one thinks we should have many different styes of play) we can see the results now in the latter stages as team play is more cohesive.

The US is on the right road.

If anything I'm more concerned about the women's game than the men's game.

Reaction Score
They're playing PAOK, not Panathinaikos. PAOK is located in Salonica, Panathinaikos is Athens.
Not trying to get into a pissing match with one of the posters I most respect on this board, but it is Panathinaikos. A simple google search would show you that's who they were playing.

Reaction Score
I think that US Soccer's plan, through its DA, is now coming to fruition. This may be the best set of young players we have ever had. When I looked at the DA all-star teams at every level both boys and girls, the best players were clearly coming through the academies, and this was true even on the girl's side. 90% of the USWNT went through those academies. More on the boy's side.

They teach unity of play, systematically, and though this has come under a lot of criticism (Anson Dorrance for one thinks we should have many different styes of play) we can see the results now in the latter stages as team play is more cohesive.

The US is on the right road.

If anything I'm more concerned about the women's game than the men's game.

We said the same thing when Donovan and Beasley dominated at the U-20 level.

In truth, our U-20s haven’t done any better than they ever have done.

Reaction Score
We said the same thing when Donovan and Beasley dominated at the U-20 level.

In truth, our U-20s haven’t done any better than they ever have done.

This was long before the academy came along.

We have more guys than ever before getting placed in top division European teams.

Reaction Score
Dest started and played a full 90 minutes at LB in Ajax’s 2-0 win over rivals PSV in the Netherlands ‘Super Cup’. Safe to say the kid has arrived and will be a meaningful part of Ajax’s plans this season. Looking forward to seeing his development/maturation at a club with a long history of churning out talented young players.

Berhalter and Crew (see what I did there) need to cap-tie him quick, before Netherlands comes along. An 18 year old dual-national potentially starting at that nations top club, playing along side a good potion of the national team members on the club.... tick-tock USSF... tick———tock.

Reaction Score
Dest started and played a full 90 minutes at LB in Ajax’s 2-0 win over rivals PSV in the Netherlands ‘Super Cup’. Safe to say the kid has arrived and will be a meaningful part of Ajax’s plans this season. Looking forward to seeing his development/maturation at a club with a long history of churning out talented young players.

Berhalter and Crew (see what I did there) need to cap-tie him quick, before Netherlands comes along. An 18 year old dual-national potentially starting at that nations top club, playing along side a good potion of the national team members on the club.... tick-tock USSF... tick———tock.

Coach Bertsmoker wants to play Adams at Right Back instead.

Reaction Score
Coach Bertsmoker wants to play Adams at Right Back instead.
He should be fired if he continues to play Adams at RB. Despite how many perceive Yedlin, he’s a top-half RB in the Prem and is a one man counter attack. And during Adams’ stretch where he was starting every game fkr RB Leipzig, he was arguably a Top-3 player on the team. Kid is Kante-esque.

Reaction Score
He should be fired if he continues to play Adams at RB. Despite how many perceive Yedlin, he’s a top-half RB in the Prem and is a one man counter attack. And during Adams’ stretch where he was starting every game fkr RB Leipzig, he was arguably a Top-3 player on the team. Kid is Kante-esque.

Gregggy Ball is this 3-2-2-3 attacking shape. But the way the US plays it, it just ends up like ‘98 4-6-1.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pulisic has just scored a brace and drew a PK in the first half of the Chelsea-Salzburg game. I have since switched to Spurs-Bayern.

Reaction Score
Pulisic has just scored a brace and drew a PK in the first half of the Chelsea-Salzburg game. I have since switched to Spurs-Bayern.
I only saw the highlights. Not great defending by Salzburg, but I loved Pulisic's runs and the first touches with his chest. Quality control. Pedro's back-heel volley goal was pretty ridiculous.

I'm ready for European soccer to start! My Yankees are doing fine (minus the pitching), but I'm ready for more! UConn football and the Giants don't have me pumped about football.

Reaction Score
Club Brugge just signed Simon Mignolet to a 5 year contract, which most likely will push Horvath to #2 keeper. Unfortunate. He has yet to allow a goal from the run of play (only a Penalty goal conceded this season).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom