Alterique Gilbert Update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert Update

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So, I guess you think he will be leading UConn to a national championship next year. I personally doubt it very much. I am not picking on him. Just the posters here who have unrealistic expectations for this young man's basketball career.

Nice strawman bro.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He got his main injury in the McD's AA game. After he signed an LOI. So you are gonna pull a scholarship at that point?

Buddy definitely would've done that.

Reaction Score
I guess Illinois, Louisville, Syracuse, And Texas made huge errors too.

How many injuries do you think he had before the LOI was signed?

He injured the shoulder in 2014 before committing in July 2015. I think most of us would have taken him considering he played 2015 injury free, though.

Reaction Score
It's not personal. Just business. I said give him an academic scholarship after the first year when it was clear he could not function at the level that was required and admit that it was just unfortunate circumstance. Using his injury as excuse for the terrible basketball we have all been witnessing is not fair to him or many UConn basketball fans.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He injured the shoulder in 2014 before committing in July 2015. I think most of us would have taken him considering he played 2015 injury free, though.

Right, so should one (1) shoulder dislocation be a dealbreaker? Especially considering how few other recruits of his caliber were lined up outside the door?

Injury #2 happened in April of 2016. People who think that we could've gotten away with rescinding the athletic scholarship at that point in time are too far gone for me to even consider engaging with.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We stuck wit AJ Price, we'll stick with AG.... Depending on who's coming back, he could very well be our best player next year

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He had a laterjet procedure. Matt Provencher is well known for doing those. Much better than Jimmy Andrews.
Hope the best for Alterique’s recovery.
I worked with Dr. Provencher for several years at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego. Great guy! He was also the Patriots team physician in the more recent past.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Hope the best for Alterique’s recovery.
I worked with Dr. Provencher for several years at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego. Great guy! He was also the Patriots team physician in the more recent past.
I just read his bio - very impressive! Its all on Alterique now to follow the necessary recovery therapy process. I am also wondering whether his game needs to change, but that is a long way off.

Reaction Score
It took multiple weeks for the doctor to recommend someone else?

Dr. Andrews practice - aligned with Baptist Hospital in Pensacola - is over 60 Doctors. His HQ is a Taj Mahal of MOBs. I have visited. Their rehab and performance facilities - used extensively before every draft - is state-of-the-art.

Referral to another doctor - who specializes- may be a walk down the hall. Or Andrews is best buds with someone elsewhere in the world. In New England, Harvard has a foundation begun by Andrews that’s studying Sports injuries.

Reaction Score
Once Ollie starts recruiting 6-4, 6-5 guards who are physical n can handle the rock we’ll be back

pj

Reaction Score
He had a laterjet procedure. Matt Provencher is well known for doing those. Much better than Jimmy Andrews.

Presumably he needed this procedure due to significant bone loss. That tells me his nutrition has been poor. He needs to improve his diet.

Reaction Score
Poor kid. Wish him the absolute best and hope that when he makes his comeback he turns heads. Wish him nothing but the best and praying he has a good recovery

Reaction Score
Of course he keeps the scholly but in his first season when he wasn’t injured we saw his liabilities when he tried to take it to the hole and was getting squashed every time, when he was not a great 3 point shooter at his size. He can distribute which is great and he at full strength would be a great addition but we need a bigger guard than him to help him out and Akinjo is not that big.

Reaction Score
The issue isn't Gilbert being an injury risk.

The issue is not recruiting anyone else worth a damn at the position, and letting the guy who played his position (and the only recruit worth being excited about) in the 2017 class get away.
No argument letting MAL get away was a major problem. We desperately need another PG. I have no idea what happened there but the staff didn't convince him to stay. That's on them.

While he was still committed here you had he and AG with 4 years of eligibility and Adams with 2. How attractive does that setup look to a 2017 impact PG recruit? That's probably why Anderson is here.

I think Waters was still available when MAL decommitted but there's a reason he's in Louisiana right now. Not sure what other point guards were left. Unless they knew well in advance that MAL might never make it to campus I find it hard to blame the staff for not being able to bring in another pg for this season.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Borges tweeted what type of surgery AG is getting. I tried reading it quickly, but it got a bit more technical than im familiar with. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can dumb it down for me? @Doctor Hoop ?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Borges tweeted what type of surgery AG is getting. I tried reading it quickly, but it got a bit more technical than im familiar with. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can dumb it down for me? @Doctor Hoop ?
The Latarjet is now the standard revision surgery procedure for failed stabilization procedures. It accomplishes two things. First, it adds bone to the front of what is usually a deficient socket, after the front edge of the socket fractures during the initial or subsequent dislocations. Second, by tensioning the lower half of the subscapularis muscle, in the front of the shoulder, it creates a "sling effect" where the subscap is tighter and more in control of the shoulder as the arm is brought up into the danger position.

So what's done is to take about 2.5 cm of the coracoid along with the attached coracobrachialis and short biceps tendons and transfer the bone through the middle of the subscap to the front of the glenoid, or shoulder socket. It's usually held in place with two screws. Believe it or not, it can be done arthroscopically, though most surgeons do it open. There are a lot that won't/don't do this procedure, hence the referral to Dr. Provencher. Success requires good position for the bone block and solid healing of bone-to-bone. If those two are achieved, it's about 95% successful.

If not ...

Reaction Score
2dhegwh.jpg

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The Latarjet is now the standard revision surgery procedure for failed stabilization procedures. It accomplishes two things. First, it adds bone to the front of what is usually a deficient socket, after the front edge of the socket fractures during the initial or subsequent dislocations. Second, by tensioning the lower half of the subscapularis muscle, in the front of the shoulder, it creates a "sling effect" where the subscap is tighter and more in control of the shoulder as the arm is brought up into the danger position.

So what's done is to take about 2.5 cm of the coracoid along with the attached coracobrachialis and short biceps tendons and transfer the bone through the middle of the subscap to the front of the glenoid, or shoulder socket. It's usually held in place with two screws. Believe it or not, it can be done arthroscopically, though most surgeons do it open. There are a lot that won't/don't do this procedure, hence the referral to Dr. Provencher. Success requires good position for the bone block and solid healing of bone-to-bone. If those two are achieved, it's about 95% successful.

If not ...
Thank you, Doctor, for your summary.
As an ID/IM doc, im definitely not as familiar with the specific procedures, nor the timeframe for recovery and unltimate prognosis.
Despite a prior post, I think it is very likely that he has good nutrition and a very good prognosis for recovery.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that once he has healed,the risk for further injury from dislocation is dramatically reduced but he will likely lose some range of motion, included length of effective reach with his arm. This may initially hinder his dribbling efficacy with that arm but he should adjust with practice.
Thanks again, HH MD

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score

If not ...
Awesome. I'm confident Provencher is among the best of the best at this procedure. How long is the surgery and how long is the rehab? Any word if it's going to be open or arthroscopic? I'm assuming arthroscopic would reduce the intial healing time? Any word if its more successful one way or the other?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Awesome. I'm confident Provencher is among the best of the best at this procedure. How long is the surgery and how long is the rehab? Any word if it's going to be open or arthroscopic? I'm assuming arthroscopic would reduce the intial healing time? Any word if its more successful one way or the other?
He already had the surgery.

Reaction Score
Thank you, Doctor, for your summary.
As an ID/IM doc, im definitely not as familiar with the specific procedures, nor the timeframe for recovery and unltimate prognosis.
Despite a prior post, I think it is very likely that he has good nutrition and a very good prognosis for recovery.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that once he has healed,the risk for further injury from dislocation is dramatically reduced but he will likely lose some range of motion, included length of effective reach with his arm. This may initially hinder his dribbling efficacy with that arm but he should adjust with practice.
Thanks again, HH MD

Laterjet are extremely successful. As Hoop said if he heals it, which he should, then 95% chance of success. Many high level athletes have returned to high function with this procedure, typically in football. It can restrict motion in abduction and external rotation “danger position”. But that should not dramatically change his basketball mechanics or game.

Most of the issues with the procedure are more down the road. Commonly leads to earlier osteoarthritis.

As you said, this has nothing really to do with nutrition. Or a lack of proper physical therapy. He just has a bad problem that was thoughtfully addressed with his first surgery, but had bad luck. The kind of stuff we are talking about is not black/white or cookie cutter medicine/Surgery. Arcerio is a great surgeon. So is Provencher.

Reaction Score
Just posted this in another AG thread - AG had the surgery at Steadman Hawkins, a place I suggested in a post eons ago, in Vail, CO, one of the premier knee / shoulder facilities for high level athletes. Halls are lined with pix of pro athlete patients from all sports. Hawkins did the shoulders, but has retired. I visited with Hawkins in the 90s on rotor cuff issue - he was great. AG could not have picked a better place. If this doesn't work, ... However, he's prob not enjoying the slopes, but this is VERY good sign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom