2024 Recruiting: - Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Tennessee and GA Tech are unlikely landing spots, that's good at least.
What makes u think those two are out just wondering. I always worry about Tennessee, Barnes got us a lot at Texas, he seems shady as heck but parades around as a good dude.

Reaction Score
What makes u think those two are out just wondering. I always worry about Tennessee, Barnes got us a lot at Texas, he seems shady as heck but parades around as a good dude.
The comment from NJHoops about wearing blue.

Reaction Score
Realized I never posted this...

Vs. Camden
Ahmad Nowell

20 PTS
3 REB (offensive)
2 AST ( 2 Potential / 1 Foul)

3 TO
2 STL
0 BLK

3/9 2FG
4/6 3FG
2/2 FT

Overall: Short, stocky and strong guard. Great, great shooter from 3. Not very good at the rim. Handles are good, not great. Shot selection was poor in this game--way too many long 2s early in a possession. I think his passing is better than he displayed here--this was a very low scoring game. I would really like to see him nix about half of his dribbles and be more efficient with the ball in his hands. Excellent defender. Super active hands, very strong and can defend the post-up as well as can be expected from a short guard. Projects as an impact defender and shooter right away by my eye. Still think 30-50ish is a good ranking spot for him.
  • This is one of the biggest HS games of the year. Two of the best teams in the country… tons of D1 talent. Ahmad is #0 in white.
  • Coach put him as the primary defender on DJ Wagner (top-10 in the class)... speaks volumes about what the coach thinks of Nowell’s defense.
  • 1 of 2 primary PGs
  • Really, really aggressive defender. Quick hands. Good solid base to take a hit.
  • Dribbles too much at times.
  • I am really enamored with his defense in this game
  • He talks a little trash… I like it. This play comes after a bunch of talk with DJ Wagner coming back and forth, and Nowell puts it in.
  • Definitely more 5’10 than 6’. Probably a couple inches shorter than RJ Cole, but stockier.
  • Don’t love his shot selection. Lots of pull-up 2s and shots early in the clock. He’s letting the crowd and trash talk get to him.
  • Not sure his passing vision was on display today.
  • I would call him a good, not great ballhandler by PG standards
  • Don’t love the live ball TOs. Needs to be more careful when penetrating… too much iso, needs to attack off a reversal
  • Needs to play with better pace. Not always playing fast/slow at the right moments.
  • Looks much, much better when the game is played fast. Makes sense why he’s killing it in aau
Misses with right hand
ISO defense on Wagner
Another missed 2
Steal and the assist. Great help defense
Maybe forces a backcourt with a no call? Love the defense
Long pull-up 2 not in love with the shot selection here.
Tripped TO too much dribbling
Great post-up defense on the switch
Catch and shoot 3 ball
Miss at the rim
Iso 2
Rebound
Missed 3… too early in the clock.
Missed iso 2
Looked like a charge to me but got the blocking call
Missed long 2
Fouled at the rim (makes both)
Crazy sequence… TO, steal, and the 2 right after
3-ball
Missed long 2
TO
Missed 3
Iso defense
Board
Missed 2
Assist hit ahead
Board
3-ball late
Another 3-ball late

Reaction Score
Vs. LuHi

(note: Y’all may not remember, but I did not on Ross in this game about a year ago. He looks, so good in this game. Great decision making, defense, and drilling his 3s. Mature game for such a raw prospect. I really think he may be ahead some other freshman that are higher ranked next season… he just has an effecient, low-usage winning kind of style…)

8 PTS
1 REB
2 AST (3 potential / foul)

2 TO
1 STL
0 BLK

1/3 2FG
2/6 3FG
0 FT
  • Another high level game vs. a top-25 team in the country.
  • Would like to see more transition buckets out of him… he doesn’t seem to try to work in transition at all.
  • Dribbles into traffic without a plan quite a bit… needs to push with his off hand more and not let defender get so close.
  • Many his shot selection stinks at times.
  • Doesn’t seem to ever box out… should do that more as a guard in certain situations.
  • Does a lot of standing and looking off-ball. Would like to see more cutting… he’s not involved much if he doesn’t have the ball in his hands.
  • Needs to develop his finishing bag to be effective… too short for his skill at the rim right now.
  • Coach seems to always put him on their best offensive player… this game he guarded Ross because he was so hot.
  • NEEDS to diversify his scoring package.
  • This doesn’t look like the Imhotep I remember… they’re running nothing on offense in either game except iso. It’s embarrassing.
Rebound
Blocked at the rim
Potential assist
Lost ball/jump ball… does this a lot dribbling into traffic
Drive and kick potential assist
Ugly pull-up 2
Offensive foul?
Missed 3
Missed 2
Nice assist from the FT line
3 ball
Follow by an airball from 3… bad shot selection
Better shot selection but missed 3 again
Live ball TO
Corner 3
Nice defense
Missed 3
Left hand 2
Way too much dribble… missed 2
Pretty assist
Steal with some hustle

Reaction Score
Vs. LuHi

(note: Y’all may not remember, but I did not on Ross in this game about a year ago. He looks, so good in this game. Great decision making, defense, and drilling his 3s. Mature game for such a raw prospect. I really think he may be ahead some other freshman that are higher ranked next season… he just has an effecient, low-usage winning kind of style…)

8 PTS
1 REB

2 TO
1 STL
0 BLK

1/3 2FG
2/6 3FG
0 FT
  • Another high level game vs. a top-25 team in the country.
  • Would like to see more transition buckets out of him… he doesn’t seem to try to work in transition at all.
  • Dribbles into traffic without a plan quite a bit… needs to push with his off hand more and not let defender get so close.
  • Many his shot selection stinks at times.
  • Doesn’t seem to ever box out… should do that more as a guard in certain situations.
  • Does a lot of standing and looking off-ball. Would like to see more cutting… he’s not involved much if he doesn’t have the ball in his hands.
  • Needs to develop his finishing bag to be effective… too short for his skill at the rim right now.
  • Coach seems to always put him on their best offensive player… this game he guarded Ross because he was so hot.
  • NEEDS to diversify his scoring package.
  • This doesn’t look like the Imhotep I remember… they’re running nothing on offense in either game except iso. It’s embarrassing.
Rebound
Blocked at the rim
Potential assist
Lost ball/jump ball… does this a lot dribbling into traffic
Drive and kick potential assist
Ugly pull-up 2
Offensive foul?
Missed 3
Missed 2
Nice assist from the FT line
3 ball
Follow by an airball from 3… bad shot selection
Better shot selection but missed 3 again
Live ball TO
Corner 3
Nice defense
Missed 3
Left hand 2
Way too much dribble… missed 2
Pretty assist
Steal with some hustle
Off topic
Every time i see a new video of Ross, he's doing something else that he wasn't doing prior. In this game, he hits a nice step back, and makes a great entry pass & cut to the basket for the reverse layup. This was all in the first couple minutes of the game.
We're going to like this kid, sooner rather than later...imo

Also, his handle looks tighter. I think that's the part of his game he needs most work on right now. If he can tighten it up enough, he can play any of the 2/3/4 for stretches based on matchups. Imagine a 6'7" kid running off screens playing a semi Hawkins role, and also defending 4's. I love this kid.

Reaction Score
Off topic
Every time i see a new video of Ross, he's doing something else that he wasn't doing prior. In this game, he hits a nice step back, and makes a great entry pass & cut to the basket for the reverse layup. This was all in the first couple minutes of the game.
We're going to like this kid, sooner rather than later...imo

Also, his handle looks tighter. I think that's the part of his game he needs most work on right now. If he can tighten it up enough, he can play any of the 2/3/4 for stretches based on matchups. Imagine a 6'7" kid running off screens playing a semi Hawkins role, and also defending 4's. I love this kid.

The reason why I think Jayden might play over some of the other freshman is really the same reason I knew Hawkins would be successful back when he was at Dematha. Guys who have an efficient, low-usage game are able to play earlier. Karaban is a prime example. Don't turn the ball over, take high % shots, space the floor and put in the effort on defense. You can play a guy like that even if he isn't that skilled because he isn't impacting any other players' ability to play to their best abilities.

Stewart is an AWESOME player, and at the end of the day is probably more skilled than Ross and objectively better overall. But it's possible he won't play as much because his game is so ball dominant. If your style of play requires a high # of touches to be successful, you might not get the minutes because you have Castle, Newton, Karaban and Spencer ahead of you who all deserve A LOT of shots.

Reaction Score
The reason why I think Jayden might play over some of the other freshman is really the same reason I knew Hawkins would be successful back when he was at Dematha. Guys who have an efficient, low-usage game are able to play earlier. Karaban is a prime example. Don't turn the ball over, take high % shots, space the floor and put in the effort on defense. You can play a guy like that even if he isn't that skilled because he isn't impacting any other players' ability to play to their best abilities.

Stewart is an AWESOME player, and at the end of the day is probably more skilled than Ross and objectively better overall. But it's possible he won't play as much because his game is so ball dominant. If your style of play requires a high # of touches to be successful, you might not get the minutes because you have Castle, Newton, Karaban and Spencer ahead of you who all deserve A LOT of shots.

Stick Clingan in that long line who need more shots. I want us to be lob city & block party next season.

Reaction Score
Vs. Oak Hill
Nowell

25 PTS
5 REB (1 offensive)

3 TO
5 STL
0 BLK

6/10 2FG
3/6 3FG
4/4 FT
  • I like his instinct to make plays from the FT line.
  • Finishes with left and right hand pretty consistently. While his finishing isn’t excellent, this is good to see.
  • Really love when he’s locked in on defense. Super active hands.
  • He will be a much better player when he learns to stop dribbling and move the ball faster… tough to figure out as a guard but he’ll get it.
Long pullup 2
Missed floater, + the board
Nice dish, but teammate didn’t expect it
TO
Missed 3
TO Absolutely terrible, terrible TO. low basketball IQ.
I guess a steal?
Charge
Steal
Missed long 2
Baseline 2
Potential assist
Hand down man down… 3 ball
Potential assist
Transition floater for 2
For 3
Long 2 miss
Miss 3
Pull up 3
OOB at the rim for 2
Nice rip… strong
Miss 3
Deflection Does it count as an assist?? I’ll count it.
Board
Pretty assist
2 at the rim
Missed 2
Board
Another board
Steal and the dunk
Board
Fouled late… 2/2 from the line
Steal
Fouled late… makes ‘em both

Reaction Score
Vs. Huson Catholic

17-23 PTS
5 REB
AST (6 potential/ 1 foul )

4 TO
STL
BLK

6/14 2FG
1/2 3FG
???/6 FT

• Vs. Hudson Catholic who feature Tahaad Pettiford and other D1 players. This is more of a showcase game though.
  • His instinct is to play WAY too slow. Usually Imhotep is pretty good with coaching. Not sure what happened with that. Decision-making is just way too slow.
  • He’s really friggen strong for a 17-year-old PG.
  • Much more aggressive getting to the rim here than I saw in last season’s hs games. Love it.
  • Using more ball fakes than I remember here. Good. I think he could do well to pump fake more though instead of immediately dribble and go nowhere.
  • Can’t really drive to his left at all
  • I think he’ll look much better in an organized offense where he knows spots and can move faster. Something our coaches should talk to him about… the DDM at Kentucky is not going to work for this kid at all.
  • Needs to be more of a volume shooter and work on his shot off the dribble. He should have at least ⅓ or ½ of his shots from deep. Cut the mid-range and take a 3 kid.
  • Has GOT to nix the long 2s in volume. It’s revolting and terrible for his team.
  • Can’t recall anyone every having this many potential assists with no made bucket. Odd.

Fouled at the rim. No idea if he made the FTs
Forced jump ball
Not sure quite what happened but forced a TO
Missed Step-back long 2
Tough Finish at the rim for 2
Missed 3
Pretty potential assist
1v1 defense on pettiford
Fouled on a pull-up 2
Phenomenal potential assist
Rebound and another potential assist
Drive and fouled again
Finish for 2 and 1
Rebound and potential assist
TO on a drive
Offensive foul
3 ball off the catch
Miss at the rim
Transition and 1
Missed long 2
Defense
Long iso 2
Deflection
Missed long 2
Miss at the rim
Missed long 2
Didn’t notice the 5 second count… TO
Missed post up
Bad pass TO… getting sloppy
Board
Another board
Miss at the rim
Potential assist
Transition 2 at the rim
Splits the double for 2
Late 2 at the rim

Reaction Score
Realized I never posted this...

Vs. Camden
Ahmad Nowell

20 PTS
3 REB (offensive)
2 AST ( 2 Potential / 1 Foul)

3 TO
2 STL
0 BLK

3/9 2FG
4/6 3FG
2/2 FT

Overall: Short, stocky and strong guard. Great, great shooter from 3. Not very good at the rim. Handles are good, not great. Shot selection was poor in this game--way too many long 2s early in a possession. I think his passing is better than he displayed here--this was a very low scoring game. I would really like to see him nix about half of his dribbles and be more efficient with the ball in his hands. Excellent defender. Super active hands, very strong and can defend the post-up as well as can be expected from a short guard. Projects as an impact defender and shooter right away by my eye. Still think 30-50ish is a good ranking spot for him.
  • This is one of the biggest HS games of the year. Two of the best teams in the country… tons of D1 talent. Ahmad is #0 in white.
  • Coach put him as the primary defender on DJ Wagner (top-10 in the class)... speaks volumes about what the coach thinks of Nowell’s defense.
  • 1 of 2 primary PGs
  • Really, really aggressive defender. Quick hands. Good solid base to take a hit.
  • Dribbles too much at times.
  • I am really enamored with his defense in this game
  • He talks a little trash… I like it. This play comes after a bunch of talk with DJ Wagner coming back and forth, and Nowell puts it in.
  • Definitely more 5’10 than 6’. Probably a couple inches shorter than RJ Cole, but stockier.
  • Don’t love his shot selection. Lots of pull-up 2s and shots early in the clock. He’s letting the crowd and trash talk get to him.
  • Not sure his passing vision was on display today.
  • I would call him a good, not great ballhandler by PG standards
  • Don’t love the live ball TOs. Needs to be more careful when penetrating… too much iso, needs to attack off a reversal
  • Needs to play with better pace. Not always playing fast/slow at the right moments.
  • Looks much, much better when the game is played fast. Makes sense why he’s killing it in aau
Misses with right hand
ISO defense on Wagner
Another missed 2
Steal and the assist. Great help defense
Maybe forces a backcourt with a no call? Love the defense
Long pull-up 2 not in love with the shot selection here.
Tripped TO too much dribbling
Great post-up defense on the switch
Catch and shoot 3 ball
Miss at the rim
Iso 2
Rebound
Missed 3… too early in the clock.
Missed iso 2
Looked like a charge to me but got the blocking call
Missed long 2
Fouled at the rim (makes both)
Crazy sequence… TO, steal, and the 2 right after
3-ball
Missed long 2
TO
Missed 3
Iso defense
Board
Missed 2
Assist hit ahead
Board
3-ball late
Another 3-ball late
You are insane, but in a good way!

Reaction Score
Vs. Oak Hill
Nowell

25 PTS
5 REB (1 offensive)

3 TO
5 STL
0 BLK

6/10 2FG
3/6 3FG
4/4 FT
  • I like his instinct to make plays from the FT line.
  • Finishes with left and right hand pretty consistently. While his finishing isn’t excellent, this is good to see.
  • Really love when he’s locked in on defense. Super active hands.
  • He will be a much better player when he learns to stop dribbling and move the ball faster… tough to figure out as a guard but he’ll get it.
Long pullup 2
Missed floater, + the board
Nice dish, but teammate didn’t expect it
TO
Missed 3
TO Absolutely terrible, terrible TO. low basketball IQ.
I guess a steal?
Charge
Steal
Missed long 2
Baseline 2
Potential assist
Hand down man down… 3 ball
Potential assist
Transition floater for 2
For 3
Long 2 miss
Miss 3
Pull up 3
OOB at the rim for 2
Nice rip… strong
Miss 3
Deflection Does it count as an assist?? I’ll count it.
Board
Pretty assist
2 at the rim
Missed 2
Board
Another board
Steal and the dunk
Board
Fouled late… 2/2 from the line
Steal
Fouled late… makes ‘em both

Out of curiosity, did you watch the game or you snatch these from post game reports?
It’s a helluva effort!

Is it me or is Novell A/T ratio less desirable?

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, did you watch the game or you snatch these from post game reports?
It’s a helluva effort!

Is it me or is Novell A/T ratio less desirable?

I watch the games. Hence the links to the various plays that occurred. They're on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom