ACC Regular season, 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular season, 2023

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Something to watch for on the transfer portal is my guess.

Well, let's get more specific. Beth Morgan Cunningham was at Duke during Volker's recruitment and first year.
She is now the head coach at...you've got it...Missouri State. Let's keep that in mind...:cool:

Reaction Score
Well, let's get more specific. Beth Morgan Cunningham was at Duke during Volker's recruitment and first year.
She is now the head coach at...you've got it...Missouri State. Let's keep that in mind...:cool:

Appreciate the insight. Wasn't aware of this.

Reaction Score
I think that is a big assumption. A lot of reasons why this may be the situation. Personal reasons, academic reasons (Duke has strict academic requirements) or disciplinary reasons. If she was transfering, I think she would already be in the portal.

Sometimes athletes being listed in the portal goes on without us even knowing. Who knows? I wish her all the best regardless and that she succeeds in whatever she does.

Reaction Score
UNC gets huge win today against Notre Dame.

Pitt made things interesting for Louisville.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The ACC race is shaping up to be interesting. 8 teams within 1.5 games of first place. It's going to be a blood bath as the teams beat up on each other.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State looked like its old self today in an 87-62 win over Virginia. Very balanced scoring...leading scorer was Jada Boyd with 13, Camille Hobby and Mimi Collins added 12, Diamond Johnson and River Baldwin with 10, Jakia Brown-Turner and Madison Hayes with 9. NC State used a strong inside game to shoot 57.8% from the field and nailed 7 THREEs, which was something that had gone missing in our last few games. State also had 12 blocks, just two off the program record. They also held Virginia to 32.9% shooting accuracy.

Turnovers continue to plague the Wolfpack Women; they turned the ball over 16 times today, which is fewer than in the last few games but still too many.

Scary moment when Mir McLean landed awkwardly after grabbing a rebound, writhing in pain for several minutes before being helped up. She emerged from the locker room in the 4th quarter on crutches.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

Louisville has benefited from a relatively weak ACC schedule up to now. Today was their second meeting with Pitt. They also played winless Georgia Tech.

They lost to league-leader Duke and beat Syracuse, currently tied for 5th.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Today's win gives NC State the lead in the all-time series with Virginia for the first time since the early 1990s. The Wolfpack now leads the series 41-40.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The ACC does not have any elite teams as of yet. ND was the closest to an Elite 8 team but they were undone today by Miles foul trouble (again). Duke is on a nice little run but come on, they are not elite 8 material either. My money is still on NC State to win the ACC and potentially have a nice tourney run.
This is a league with a lot of 9-25 ranked teams, which is better than the Big 12 but not nearly as good as the Big 10. While the depth is better than the PAC12 or SEC they can't compete with Stanford or SC.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The ACC does not have any elite teams as of yet. ND was the closest to an Elite 8 team but they were undone today by Miles foul trouble (again). Duke is on a nice little run but come on, they are not elite 8 material either. My money is still on NC State to win the ACC and potentially have a nice tourney run.
This is a league with a lot of 9-25 ranked teams, which is better than the Big 12 but not nearly as good as the Big 10. While the depth is better than the PAC12 or SEC they can't compete with Stanford or SC.
I would wager we won't see Notre Dame shoot that poorly again for the rest of the season. They missed a lot of wide open shots that just went CLANK off the rim.

It's really strange how some nights, the shots just won't fall.

Reaction Score
Regarding the Volker situation, one thing we forget is that there are windows for the transfer portal. A comment made by Coach Ralph regarding the Vanderbilt player who was dismissed brought this to mind. It may be a while before we actually know that she's entered the portal.

"She's been dismissed from the team," Ralph said. " ... She'll continue to go to school here in the second semester so that she can get into the (transfer) portal during that window. But right now, that's her status, she won't be with the team from now on."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Former NC State guard. I love to see when a transfer gets to face their former school and busts their arse. Sorry State fans... no offense @LETTERL

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I ain't gonna lie.... I figured BC would be in the basement this season after almost all of their team left.

This is the first week of the season that Latson from FSU wasn't the rookie of the week :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sometimes athletes being listed in the portal goes on without us even knowing. Who knows? I wish her all the best regardless and that she succeeds in whatever she does.
From a source.....
"To quell the endless speculation re Lee V., she is fine physically, but Pratt [the engineering school] is hard -- really hard for anyone with basketball responsibilities. Hoping to be back in the Fall."

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I got my first look at freshman phenom Ta'Niya Latson tonight and she was everything that was advertised. Tonight, 31 points against NC State on 13 of 16. Some of the shots she made were just incredible. There was one circus shot that wouldn't have gone in 99 times out of 100...but that one out of 100 was enough.

FSU manhandled NC State, 91-72, leading by as much as 27 at one time.

For NC State...I don't know what to say. The starters just didn't bring it and most acted like they didn't even want to be playing. Coach Moore pulled all of them except Madison Hayes just three minutes into the game, when FSU had already opened up a 14-5 lead. The Seminoles made 6 of their first 7 shots and State was offering no resistance...almost all of those shots easy, unguarded layups.

We seemed to have more success when Hayes, James, Rivers and Johnson were all in the game at the same time.

Jada Boyd got injured early in the 3rd quarter and never returned. She never even came back out to rejoin her teammates. This is her second injury this season. Mimi Collins did an admirable job coming off the bench to replace her.

This was the second time in the last three games that senior Jakia Brown-Turner turned in a goose-egg. She started but didn't play much after being pulled at the first timeout taken by Coach Moore.

State now down to 9 players. This team has some serious issues right now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How the heck do you have a 9 point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter and lose by 11???

uva.jpg

Reaction Score
By getting outscored by 20 in the 4th quarter?
I won’t blame the loss on the refs, but that was probably the worst reffing I’ve ever seen. NC turned it up in the 4th quarter and UVA melted. UVA could’ve/should’ve won the game. Hard fought, but they just fell apart at the end.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I see both Cavinders scored in double figures for Miami.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hmm...looking at Miami's season stats, Haley Cavinder is leading the team in scoring and assists, and second in rebounding (only .3 per game behind the leader). Also second on the team in 3 point FG%.

Hanna however isn't having nearly as much of an impact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom