ACC Regular season, 2023 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular season, 2023

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
"There are no nights off in the ACC!" (Well, maybe at Pitt...)

Reaction Score
Too much Reese for Arkansas to overcome. The Hogs didn’t have any height to battle for rebounds when it mattered.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State entered their game with Miami Thursday night with only 8 available players. Jada Boyd re-injured her ankle in the Sunday loss to UNC and was unavailable, and shooting guard Jessica Timmons was sick and wasn't even in the arena. Despite a slow start, NC State played with a purpose and outscored Miami 31-7 over a key stretch to run out to a 35-19 halftime lead.

Early in the 3rd quarter, center River Baldwin fell and suffered a knee injury, reducing the available number of players to 7. Baldwin re-emerged later with a heavily-wrapped leg...I'd be surprised if she plays over the next week or so.

Fortunately, NC State was able to withstand numerous runs from Miami and won, 71-61.

We could sure use the services of the three players we lost to the transfer portal (Dontavia Waggoner, Genesis Bryant and Sophie Hart) but will have to make do with what we have.

Who knows how many players will be available for our annual showdown with Louisville on Sunday. It has been an injury-plagued season for Boyd.

We are really going to need a solid game from Jakia Brown-Turner, who had another quiet night against Miami, Sunday when we face Louisville. That would be a great game to break out of the funk she has been in for most of this ACC season.

Bright spots tonight were Saniya Rivers' 6 steals, most resulting in uncontested layups...and Azaiah James, who grabbed 6 boards tonight. Diamond Johnson had another off-night on the offensive end; she has not regained her shooting touch since coming back from the games missed due to her ankle injury.

NC State needs all the firepower it can muster Sunday...and play defense like they did tonight against Miami. They held the Hurricanes in check for most of this game and forced 19 turnovers.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
"There are no nights off in the ACC!" (Well, maybe at Pitt...)
The largest margin of victory in Thursday's 7 matchups was 12 points (previously-winless Georgia Tech handing Syracuse a devastating upset loss). NC State managed a 10-point win over Miami.

Three games were 1-point games at halftime, and Clemson led Notre Dame by 3 in a game that was back and forth until the very end.

The bottom of the league is much improved, the middle of the league is quite competitive and the upper teams aren't necessarily dominant teams. There really are no off nights in this league; any team is capable of winning on any given day or night.

Reaction Score
UNC showed up. I was hoping that Duke would have won that game but props to UNC for playing well and getting the win in this battle.

Reaction Score
UNC showed up. I was hoping that Duke would have won that game but props to UNC for playing well and getting the win in this battle.
Not having Taylor for most of the first half affected the game in my opinion. Picked up two fouls, one being an intentional, so quickly had her on the bench for most of it. Didn't score her first points until late in the fourth. Day-Wilson did what she could to keep them close late in the game, but it wasn't enough.

And Utsby continues to impress every game I watch. Love her energy and how she plays offensively and defensively. A little bit of everything to impact the game when she's on the court.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nah...he's all right. He's probably loading up on Cheerwine to make himself feel better.

It would have taken a lot more than Cheerwine to remove the saltiness from last night. :mad: Maybe some Hard Cider. Brownies and Greasy Pizza... but I was too upset to eat. After last year's MBB and WBB season, this year's football game.. and last night... I'm tired of these MondaythroughFriday Tarheels :mad:

I give UNC no props. That probably surprises you. We will kick that arse in Durham, There are pros and cons to attending that game in person, so I'm not sure.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Outstanding defensive effort from NC State today in their 63-51 win at Louisville. The Wolfpack Women held Louisville without a FG for a 12-minute stretch from the 3rd quarter through most of the 4th quarter, and extended a 1-point 4th quarter lead.

For the game, Louisville shot 30.6% on 20 of 66 from the field. NC State was 23 of 50.

So proud of the Wolfpack Women! Now, they get a week off to prepare for Notre Dame.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll give NC State some credit for the D in Q4, but that was mostly on Louisville. One of the worst quarters I've ever seen. Just atrocious. Hailey Van Lith just couldn't find the bottom of the net all game. Carr started hot but faded.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes. Back in December when Louisville lost to Middle Tennessee State and folks were wondering if it was time to panic about Louisville and their program. I was like, "Nah. They will be fine. They will run off 10 wins in a row and nobody will say anything" Well. Louisville managed to win six or seven in a row and then dropped a few and then won a few. After today's loss (NC State) Louisville looking at seven losses and possibly a few more. They have UNC and two games against Notre Dame. Then the ACC tournament. Yikes!

Reaction Score
I really hate that Saniya Rivers transferred.

She's such a Dawn Staley type player on the floor. Not sure the issue that lead to her heading out.

I'm glad to see she is coming on in Raleigh very nicely.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes. Back in December when Louisville lost to Middle Tennessee State and folks were wondering if it was time to panic about Louisville and their program. I was like, "Nah. They will be fine. They will run off 10 wins in a row and nobody will say anything" Well. Louisville managed to win six or seven in a row and then dropped a few and then won a few. After today's loss (NC State) Louisville looking at seven losses and possibly a few more. They have UNC and two games against Notre Dame. Then the ACC tournament. Yikes!

ACC is pretty balanced with dangerous players.

Reminds me of the men's side in the mid 90s .

Reaction Score
I'll give NC State some credit for the D in Q4, but that was mostly on Louisville. One of the worst quarters I've ever seen. Just atrocious. Hailey Van Lith just couldn't find the bottom of the net all game. Carr started hot but faded.
Hailey Van Lith was not feeling well. She came out for pre-game warmups, took a few shots and then sat on the bench by herself for about five minutes. Didn't have her usual bounce. She and her teammates missed a conservatively-estimated 10 layups, several of them wide-open and uncontested.

If you told me beforehand that Louisville would hold NC State to 63 points I'd say we get the win. Not today.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Outstanding defensive effort from NC State today in their 63-51 win at Louisville. The Wolfpack Women held Louisville without a FG for a 12-minute stretch from the 3rd quarter through most of the 4th quarter, and extended a 1-point 4th quarter lead.

For the game, Louisville shot 30.6% on 20 of 66 from the field. NC State was 23 of 50.

So proud of the Wolfpack Women! Now, they get a week off to prepare for Notre Dame.

Rivers is gonna be a star. If she ever improves her deep shot and FT's, it won't be fair.

I assume Baldwin is gone for the season?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I assume Baldwin is gone for the season?
Nope. MRI showed no structural damage. She'll be back, maybe not for Notre Dame next Sunday but the absence won't be as long as we all feared.

I was amazed at that because when she emerged from the locker room after the injury, her whole leg was heavily bandaged.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith and her teammates missed a conservatively-estimated 10 layups, several of them wide-open and uncontested.
That would definitely be a conservative estimate. It was way more than that. Shots that rolled around the rim before falling off, going over the basket, nicking the rim. Just a tremendous number of missed bunnies.

Might have been a different outcome if Hailey Van Lith saw limited minutes or didn't play at all, if she was sick. I didn't know she was sick as the game unfolded but watching it live, I did get the impression that she just wasn't her usual self.

Reaction Score
I watched a replay of the UVa-FSU game and was stunned by one particular intentional foul call toward the end. This was Men’s-Soccer level theater: an FSU player manufactures a foul, falls to the floor, feigns injury, grabs the Virginia player’s foot and tries to trip her, and when the Virginia player pulls her leg free she’s called for a “fighting foul.”

We’ve seen this sort of behavior more than a few times from FSU, which suggests they’re being coached to behave like this. But the icing on the cake comes a few minutes later, after the refs confer and announce their call leading to an ejection, the FSU player then taunts the Virginia player.

I hope such incidents are reviewed at some point and a rule change is made to allow the refs to penalize this sort of theater. In this case, I’d think the FSU player should have been ejected, as well as the FSU coach.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I watched a replay of the UVa-FSU game and was stunned by one particular intentional foul call toward the end. This was Men’s-Soccer level theater: an FSU player manufactures a foul, falls to the floor, feigns injury, grabs the Virginia player’s foot and tries to trip her, and when the Virginia player pulls her leg free she’s called for a “fighting foul.”

We’ve seen this sort of behavior more than a few times from FSU, which suggests they’re being coached to behave like this. But the icing on the cake comes a few minutes later, after the refs confer and announce their call leading to an ejection, the FSU player then taunts the Virginia player.

I hope such incidents are reviewed at some point and a rule change is made to allow the refs to penalize this sort of theater. In this case, I’d think the FSU player should have been ejected, as well as the FSU coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom