ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The good news is that team with the powder blue uniforms will be joining them in the loss column before long. Same offensive struggles.

6a00d8341cdd0d53ef010536c844f7970b-600wi.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, not surprised Duke lost. I watched their game against Columbia and could see their offensive struggles this season. Much like DeJesus should have started last year, Okanawa should be this year. If this trend continues, Duke will see more players in the portal after the season ends.

The good news is that team with the powder blue uniforms will be joining them in the loss column before long. Same offensive struggles.

russell-westbrook-nba.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, not surprised Duke lost. I watched their game against Columbia and could see their offensive struggles this season. Much like DeJesus should have started last year, Okanawa should be this year. If this trend continues, Duke will see more players in the portal after the season ends.

A vaguely familiar name to ACC fans was in the Davidson box score leading them with 19 points. Ellie Sutphin, who was up at NC State, not getting any time with the Wolfpack (hey, with Cunane there, what are you going to do? Oh, transfer!). Looked like she was hitting from outside.

Oh, and the second leading scorer - Charlise Dunn -- came down from Va. Tech. So, if one place doesn't work, try another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was a hard fought fun game to watch. Having said that, Jackson saved their butts with crazy 3-pt shooting. Brown continues to struggle on offense(3 pts) and Richardson was a whopping 0-for-10(3 pts). Okanawa didn't have a great shooting night but still managed to put up as many points off the bench as any of the starters other than Jackson. I'm not sure Duke can count on getting 60% (6 for 10) from Jackson every game. I don't think they will fare as well when they travel to SC .

Why do you think she's using the Emsbo/Brown starting combo ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hannah Hidalgo Named Frosh, Overall Player of the Week by ACC
(Has taken 3 of the 4 awards in two weeks)
Thanks to Fighting Artichoke for the tip.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kennedy Brown was a non-factor. Having watched KB at OSU for the first 2 years of her college campaign, I haven't seen any improvement, especially on the offensive side. KB tends to disappear against talented BIGs. I hope her season improves and that this game was a 1-off.

Reaction Score
That was a hard fought fun game to watch. Having said that, Jackson saved their butts with crazy 3-pt shooting. Brown continues to struggle on offense(3 pts) and Richardson was a whopping 0-for-10(3 pts). Okanawa didn't have a great shooting night but still managed to put up as many points off the bench as any of the starters other than Jackson. I'm not sure Duke can count on getting 60% (6 for 10) from Jackson every game. I don't think they will fare as well when they travel to SC .

I don’t think Kara expects Jackson to go 6-10 every game. The same way she doesn’t expect Richardson to go 0-10 every game. These are 2 players that were in lesser roles last year, that are expected to be the go to scorers every game. I think they will both find some consistency. The positive is the amount of players that have shown they can impact when one of their go to players is not. Duke has a lot of potential. I don’t think we will see it tho till ACC play. They need more games under their belt.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well she first went to the EMBRO combo the last game... we were starting a 6'0 W as PF and that probably won't work in ACC/P5 games. I think it can work as Brown is a better shooter outside of the paint, and Emsbo is effective in the paint. I think this duo can work versus teams with big front lines. Our only other player with decent size is #12, and she played really well today... so she will definitely get more playing time.

I personally like having O squared coming off of the bench to provide a spark. RIchardson is in a heck of a shooting slump though. Between the exhibition and first game.. she was 19-23 from the field including 6-6 from distance... since then she has struggled, but I think Coach will keep her in the starting lineup and hope she can shoot her way out of the slump.

Reaction Score
we were starting a 6'0 W as PF and that probably won't work in ACC/P5 games.
I watched Miami last year with Destiny Harden essentially playing PF at 6'0" and a 6'4" center and it seemed to work out okay for them. My concern is the lack of scoring from that Emsbo/Brown combo compared to having another guard/wing out there. I think it can work if you're doing the "two towers" thing inside like Boston/Kardoso at SC last year but otherwise a very tall "wing" player shooting from the outside has to be a decent ball handler and give you above average ppg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I watched Miami last year with Destiny Harden essentially playing PF at 6'0" and a 6'4" center and it seemed to work out okay for them. My concern is the lack of scoring from that Emsbo/Brown combo compared to having another guard/wing out there. I think it can work if you're doing the "two towers" thing inside like Boston/Kardoso at SC last year but otherwise a very tall "wing" player shooting from the outside has to be a decent ball handler and give you above average ppg

Well we have a freshman 6'4 player with wing skills, but she isn't ready to play against the better teams yet. She saw minutes the first 3 games, but didn't leave the bench the last 2.

Reaction Score
The wing needs to be a premium rebounder.

If she's not, you're giving up too many possessions.

But plenty of 6'0 players can board.

Reaction Score
ESPN did an updated 2024 wbb class recruiting rankings and the ACC looks to fare well next year. Now the #1,#3,#10,#21,#22 and #47 have yet to commit so these rankings will change yet again at some future point but the ACC has at least one school in the running for all but #47 (#1 has no official final list but I would imagine some ACC school is on it).

#5 Duke
#8 Virginia Tech
#11 Stanford
#13 Miami
#14 NC State
#16 Louisville
#18 North Carolina
#19 Georgia Tech
#23 Cal

Also considered: Notre Dame, Clemson, and Syracuse

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
2 ACC teams will play in holiday tournaments on Thanksgiving Day.

Kentucky (2-2) vs. NC State (4-0) at 3:15 pm in the Paradise Jam
Georgia Tech (4-0) vs. Creighton (3-1) in the Cancun Challenge at 4 pm.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well Jackson sat out yesterday with undisclosed injury. Her replacement came in and had a career high before injuring her ankle.

Richardson emerged from her shooting slump and had 22 points on 7-12 shooting.

Freshman Donovan started in place of Emsbo yesterday

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
On the flip side, first time Clemson has ever been all alone in first place?

Believe it or not, years ago Clemson was a upper tier program in the ACC. They have several Sweet 16 appearances... one run to the Elite 8... a few ACC tournament titles, and finished 1st in the regular season. Granted it was years ago... say 1987-2000.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom