A question about Westbrook | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A question about Westbrook

Reaction Score
The NCAA had 39 waiver request for WCBB last season and approved 77%. ALL waivers were approved in time for the student athlete to participate in a FULL season of WCBB.
There are no waiver rules just guidelines. The rule is if you transfer you should expect to sit 1 year and that should be factored into the decision to transfer if people really want to "get on with their lives".
Nothing prevents the players from "preparing" to play Evina is preparing as if she were going to play.
What stake do you think we as fans have in the outcome?

Absolutely right.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If there is still no ruling, can Evina play in a pre-season exhibition game? It's not a "real"game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If there is still no ruling, can Evina play in a pre-season exhibition game? It's not a "real"game.
No. Evina may not play in exhibition or real games or travel to away games at the team's expense.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA releasing several waiver decisions on the men's side, both yesterday and today. Mostly approvals, btw.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA releasing several waiver decisions on the men's side, both yesterday and today. Mostly approvals, btw.

Another approval. Men's.

Coaching malpractice?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If this many MCBB waivers are approved by the NCAA, then what's the point of the waiver process? Just make every transfer immediately available.

BTW, seems decisions for MCBB are released on days ending in a "y," while the decisions for WCBB are released on the other days of the week.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BTW, seems decisions for MCBB are released on days ending in a "y," while the decisions for WCBB are released on the other days of the week.
1571849960808.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
RJ Cole reference?

No. I completely forgot about Cole. I wish he were eligible.

My post about malpractice isn't serious. Before this season I haven't paid any attention to what's been happening on the men's side. Maybe the number of approvals is new.

My position after the Shepard decision 2 years ago is that every WCBB coach should seek a waiver for every transfer. I think many coaches have taken that approach.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This fella transferred to be closer to home. Waiver.

Reaction Score
If this many MCBB waivers are approved by the NCAA, then what's the point of the waiver process? Just make every transfer immediately available.

The point is that most transfers have no case and don't apply for a waiver. In total, far less than 25% of transfers end up with waivers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The point is that most transfers have no case and don't apply for a waiver. In total, far less than 25% of transfers end up with waivers.

Yes, I am aware of that. I was not being completely serious. But with the approvals issued so far in MCBB one is left wondering what constitutes a "case." That's what many men's coaches are wondering today. When did transferring closer to home become a "case?"

Reaction Score
Yes, I am aware of that. I was not being completely serious. But with the approvals issued so far in MCBB one is left wondering what constitutes a "case." That's what many men's coaches are wondering today. When did transferring closer to home become a "case?"

There could be things in the request that are not known by the public. Do players always tell everything in public announcements??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There could be things in the request that are not known by the public. Do players always tell everything in public announcements??

Perhaps, but it's not just the public that doesn't know. Coaches don't know either. Geno himself said he doesn't know what makes for a good waiver case. That's what builds mistrust among coaches and fans.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the case of Jessica Shepard we learned absolutely nothing about the reasons a waiver was requested or why it was granted from Shepard, MM, ND or the NCAA. The only tidbit of information came some time later when one of Shepard’s parents confessed that they had no idea why her waiver was granted.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but it's not just the public that doesn't know. Coaches don't know either. Geno himself said he doesn't know what makes for a good waiver case. That's what builds mistrust among coaches and fans.

I can almost guarantee that Geno didn't write the request, it was done by school attorneys or by Westbrook's personal lawyer. If the NCAA doesn't have any standards in granting waivers then they are open to accusations of "arbitrariness and capriciousness" and if they do then attorneys will get to see them and form their request to fit them.
Besides, I doubt the NCAA is concerned with waivers during the current attack on their wealth by the "Pay for Play" movement. I'm sure their legal staff is fully engaged in that debate.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I can almost guarantee that Geno didn't write the request, it was done by school attorneys or by Westbrook's personal lawyer. If the NCAA doesn't have any standards in granting waivers then they are open to accusations of "arbitrariness and capriciousness" and if they do then attorneys will get to see them and form their request to fit them.
Besides, I doubt the NCAA is concerned with waivers during the current attack on their wealth by the "Pay for Play" movement. I'm sure their legal staff is fully engaged in that debate.

LOL I know Geno didn't write the request. I most certainly didn't suggest he did. He certainly knows what's in the request, however. Every coach of a player seeking a waiver does.

Do you think attorneys who represent players in waiver petitions have access to previous decisions and the supporting information? I don't believe they do. Some fortunate players are able to hire lawyers who have represented other players seeking waivers. Those attorneys know what works before the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that medical red shirt seasons are routinely granted so there must be a standard and I would guess it involves a certified medical assessment that would certify that the player is not able to compete for medical reasons. Nowadays mental abuse and hostile environments are treated as being adverse to health, in other words a pathological medical problem. IMO having a certified professional submit an affidavit saying this to support the waiver would go a long way to getting it granted. Why? Because lawyers for the NCAA might recommend that granting the waiver is better than opening themselves up to legal challanges that could have more serious consequences for the NCAA.
Of course this is all speculation.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom