A question about Westbrook | The Boneyard

A question about Westbrook

Reaction Score
Isn’t she on campus and practicing with the team until the NCAA decides her fate?

Reaction Score
I think her parents should sue the NCAA for arbitrarily holding up her basketball career. They have all the facts they need to make a decision. I realize they have other cases to consider, but they should at least have a specific timeline to adhere to.

Reaction Score
Yes, and even if she is not allowed to play this year, she will be practicing with the team every day.
Does anyone know if she’s able to practice with the teams since she’s technically a transfer? I think Z said something like she didn’t go thru drills and stuff with the team since she was a transfer.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
FWIW, former LV Mimi Collins was denied a waiver to play immediately at Maryland. I know every case is different and has their own merits, but, I would imagine their circumstances aren’t too far apart.
Good luck. I know having our two transfers immediately eligible is a difference maker in the outlook for our season.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if she’s able to practice with the teams since she’s technically a transfer? I think Z said something like she didn’t go thru drills and stuff with the team since she was a transfer.

Transfers can practice.

Azura was on the "Scout" team -- aka, the B team/non-starters. But she definitely practiced.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FWIW, former LV Mimi Collins was denied a waiver to play immediately at Maryland. I know every case is different and has their own merits, but, I would imagine their circumstances aren’t too far apart.
Good luck. I know having our two transfers immediately eligible is a difference maker in the outlook for our season.

This was discussed in another thread. One article states that Collins's waiver petition was denied while a poster here claims she didn't file a waiver petition. Another media person said Frese didn't say why Collins is taking a redshirt year. Who knows?

Reaction Score
20191017_231351.jpg

Reaction Score
This was discussed in another thread. One article states that Collins's waiver petition was denied while a poster here claims she didn't file a waiver petition. Another media person said Frese didn't say why Collins is taking a redshirt year. Who knows?

If Collins was indeed denied a waiver, why bother saying she is taking a redshirt year. What do you gain by redshirting is you are not approved to play anyway?

Reaction Score
I go back and forth on whether Westbrook will receive a waiver or not. On one hand I know that Emmert would love to screw UConn over again, on the other hand, I know that the NCAA is all about MONEY and UConn travels very well and would bring in more money the farther they go in the tournament.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If Collins was indeed denied a waiver, why bother saying she is taking a redshirt year. What do you gain by redshirting is you are not approved to play anyway?
The term "redshirt" is a red herring here. She is allegedly sitting out a year (as required by transfer rules absent a waiver). There is not any "redshirt" action. All she does is sit out the year from playing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Has anyone actually seen a reliable report on Collins being denied a waiver? The WaPo article seems pretty clear that she's red shirting. Of course it is the Washington Post. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think her parents should sue the NCAA for arbitrarily holding up her basketball career. They have all the facts they need to make a decision. I realize they have other cases to consider, but they should at least have a specific timeline to adhere to.
How do you figure that the NCAA is "arbitrarily" holding up her career? She is receiving an athletic scholarship, and fully participating in practices which is all that the team is allowed to do right now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The term "redshirt" is a red herring here. She is allegedly sitting out a year (as required by transfer rules absent a waiver). There is not any "redshirt" action. All she does is sit out the year from playing.
The year most players required to sit out is called Academic year in residence by NCAA. The only additional restriction is the player is not permitted to travel to away games at the team's expense. Believe it or not the NCAA has a process to request an exception to that travel restriction also. Lexie Brown used the process successfully in her sit year at Duke to travel to some away games. Some Husky fans may remember that Natalie Butler had to pay her way to ND game in South Bend during her sit year.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I posed these questions on another thread but there were no responses because, well, apparently, there are no answers, or none that the NCAA wants to share with the public:.

Who adjudicates the waiver request? Is it a single person or a committee? Is there any transparency? If it is a committee, do we know the members of the committee? Is a vote taken? Are the results of the vote made known? Is the individual requesting the waiver interviewed and permitted to state her case? If denied a waiver, is there a process in which a player or school may appeal that decision? Has this system ever been tested in court?

And I'll add one more: Why is the NCAA so secretive about this process?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I didn't see any article that said explicitly that she was denied a waiver. I saw one that said something like she "didn't get a waiver from the NCAA," which is rather vague as to whether she ever applied for one.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I posed these questions on another thread but there were no responses because, well, apparently, there are no answers, or none that the NCAA wants to share with the public:.

Who adjudicates the waiver request? Is it a single person or a committee? Is there any transparency? If it is a committee, do we know the members of the committee? Is a vote taken? Are the results of the vote made known? Is the individual requesting the waiver interviewed and permitted to state her case? If denied a waiver, is there a process in which a player or school may appeal that decision? Has this system ever been tested in court?

And I'll add one more: Why is the NCAA so secretive about this process?

Here's a pretty good summary of the process. It's from a Wisconsin State Journal article about a UW player seeking a waiver.

The process

The organization doesn’t comment on specific cases, but NCAA officials answered questions from the State Journal about the transfer waiver process in general in an effort to clear up any confusion.

According to one official:

Once an institution submits a transfer waiver, typically a team of between 8-12 NCAA staff members initially discusses the case and reaches a consensus before rendering a decision. A rationale for the decision is given to the institution.

If the waiver is denied, an institution can appeal the decision to the NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief. That group includes seven voting members made up of Division I athletic department, compliance and conference officials from around the country.

After reviewing the waiver documents electronically, the committee can discuss the case further before taking a vote. Majority rules, though the NCAA doesn’t provide information to the institution about how the vote played out.

Another twist: Members can recuse themselves from a case if there’s a perceived conflict of interest, so there’s a chance a vote could end in a 3-3 tie. In that case, the original ruling by the team of NCAA staff members is upheld.

According to the NCAA official, the CLR’s ruling is the final appellate opportunity for an institution. But there have been instances where cases can be reconsidered if some type of new information is presented that was not available at the time of the original submission of the waiver.

If that happens, the case goes back to the team of NCAA staff members. If the waiver is once again denied, the institution can appeal the decision to the CLR once again.

Attachments

• 1571413108309.png
    1571413108309.png
    73 bytes · Views: 71
Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't see any article that said explicitly that she was denied a waiver. I saw one that said something like she "didn't get a waiver from the NCAA," which is rather vague as to whether she ever applied for one.

Perhaps deliberately vague because the Balt Sun reporter didn't know whether she in fact filed for a waiver. Fortunately the Wash Post reporter got an answer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Once an institution submits a transfer waiver, typically a team of between 8-12 NCAA staff members initially discusses the case and reaches a consensus before rendering a decision. A rationale for the decision is given to the institution.
Why does that take months?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom