A question about Westbrook | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A question about Westbrook

Reaction Score
The reasons given for the transfer to Uconn seemed like a pretty cut and dried --she had a work place atmosphere that was not conducive to doing her best. I.e. a hostile atmosphere.

Ah, yes, that's how it starts. Then meetings are held. It's Tenn & UConn. And when it's a prominant player/school you can bet that higher ups will review the decision before announcing it. I would expect that they would deny and let the appeal process decide, thereby obeying one of the cardinal rules of disfunctional organizations: cover your bottom, let those above you decide. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, yes, that's how it starts. Then meetings are held. It's Tenn & UConn. And when it's a prominant player/school you can bet that higher ups will review the decision before announcing it. I would expect that they would deny and let the appeal process decide, thereby obeying one of the cardinal rules of disfunctional organizations: cover your bottom, let those above you decide. ;)
It is probably faulty to assume that the NCAA "higher ups" care or will be reviewing this decision. It is UCONN and TN, but it's still WCBB not football or MCBB. Sadly, WCBB considers itself fortunate when an NCAA higher up shows up to present the national Championship trophy.

Reaction Score
I think delaying these decisions does a disservice to the player, the team, the fans and all of WOMENS COLLEGE BASKETBALL. People need to get on with their lives. The player needs to prepare as does the team. The fans have a stake in the outcome. I know the waiver rules are tough, but they should be administered in a timely fashion. It is not like the NCAA is overwhelmed with applications. They should be able to process the few dozen or so they get each year. JMHO

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The credo of middle management.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think delaying these decisions does a disservice to the player, the team, the fans and all of WOMENS COLLEGE BASKETBALL. People need to get on with their lives. The player needs to prepare as does the team. The fans have a stake in the outcome. I know the waiver rules are tough, but they should be administered in a timely fashion. It is not like the NCAA is overwhelmed with applications. They should be able to process the few dozen or so they get each year. JMHO
The NCAA had 39 waiver request for WCBB last season and approved 77%. ALL waivers were approved in time for the student athlete to participate in a FULL season of WCBB.
There are no waiver rules just guidelines. The rule is if you transfer you should expect to sit 1 year and that should be factored into the decision to transfer if people really want to "get on with their lives".
Nothing prevents the players from "preparing" to play Evina is preparing as if she were going to play.
What stake do you think we as fans have in the outcome?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would guess there are even more this year.
Not to mention all the other sports ...
You are only talking about a few sports here: Baseball, men's or women's basketball, football, men’s hockey.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA had 39 waiver request for WCBB last season and approved 77%. ALL waivers were approved in time for the student athlete to participate in a FULL season of WCBB.
There are no waiver rules just guidelines. The rule is if you transfer you should expect to sit 1 year and that should be factored into the decision to transfer if people really want to "get on with their lives".
Nothing prevents the players from "preparing" to play Evina is preparing as if she were going to play.

I'll quibble a little bit on this statement. This is a summary of what Geno said about preparing with Evina:

Auriemma is trying to incorporate her into practices enough so that she can be properly prepared if she’s deemed eligible, but not too much to the point where the team relies upon her presence in the rotation.

This is just a consequence of waiting on an answer from the NCAA. I'm not saying the NCAA ought to care -- clearly it doesn't -- but Evina is not preparing with the team as if she were going to play. They're in a little bit of limbo.

Reaction Score
It looks like Plebe is going to get a BY preseason poll going shortly so we need an answer NOW ;)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
-- but Evina is not preparing with the team as if she were going to play. They're in a little bit of limbo.

limbo_evina.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I check in on the Boneyard throughout the day specifically to see if Evina’s waiver has been approved. I expect to be greeted with some positive news about her every time I do. I remain optimistic that this one time, the BB Gods will smile down on our program. :cool:

Reaction Score
I check in on the Boneyard throughout the day specifically to see if Evina’s waiver has been approved. I expect to be greeted with some positive news about her every time I do. I remain optimistic that this one time, the BB Gods will smile down on our program. :cool:

And you should qualify that in light of who "the Gods" sent us from the 2020 HS class. Remember Odysseus and what happened when he mocked them?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And you should qualify that in light of who "the Gods" sent us from the 2020 HS class. Remember Odysseus and what happened when he mocked them?

Good call Alydar, but I’m not looking that far ahead.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom