2023 Winter Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 Winter Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ok, let's try this again, with a few assumptions on why a 2023 player would decomit? My top guess is portal activity. So here's a swag at the schools that made the most noise during portal season. Feel free to add on if you think I've missed any potential targets.

My primary guesses are Duke, LSU, SC, TAMU,
Maybes - Virginia, Iowa State, UNC

What say you? I'll post the recruits in a bit if folks weigh in.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Anyone guess who this could be?

I would start with players ranked 50-59?

Quietly, but if you become an insider at some ridiculous price, you’ll know ahead of others which player it is. SMH.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok, let's try this again, with a few assumptions on why a 2023 player would decomit? My top guess is portal activity. So here's a swag at the schools that made the most noise during portal season. Feel free to add on if you think I've missed any potential targets.

Besides us fans wailing, pacing, and throwing objects, what kinda noise did Duke make in the portal season?

Reaction Score
Ok, let's try this again, with a few assumptions on why a 2023 player would decomit? My top guess is portal activity. So here's a a coupe of years.swag at the schools that made the most noise during portal season. Feel free to add on if you think I've missed any potential targets.

If I'm Angelica Velez (#44) looking at that roster I may never see the court. At least not for a couple of years. I would look elsewhere.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not much that I can recall. Good thing they picked up the two they did.

Ha. Emsbo committed so long ago, I had forgotten about her. :oops: Thanks for reminding me. Old age is a beast sometimes :oops:

Reaction Score
If I'm Angelica Velez (#44) looking at that roster I may never see the court. At least not for a couple of years. I would look elsewhere.
How is this any different than SC, UCONN and others who have stacked teams with freshmen that have to wait their turn? But now LSU has too much talent and so young kids should transfer? I just have to laugh at this thought process

Also, if she is good she will eventually play and earn time. Hailey Van Lith might only be a one year deal even though she has two years left potentially. So Velez could potentially be the emerging candidate year 2 if she makes progress year one. I am still not fully convinced Poole is good enough to run the PG spot full time but she is important for depth purposes. Velez is most definitely going to be ahead of Poa (who isn't a true PG) on this years team

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Asst. coach Redus was asked the question on podcast recently what the incoming freshmen thought of the talent they were bringing in from the portal....he said that the staff is very honest with them about their plans and he specifically named Velez is saying she was super excited about the Hailey Van Lith news. So that advise isn't needed.

Reaction Score
Asst. coach Redus was asked the question on podcast recently what the incoming freshmen thought of the talent they were bringing in from the portal....he said that the staff is very honest with them about their plans and he specifically named Velez is saying she was super excited about the Hailey Van Lith news. So that advise isn't needed.
So like Celeste Taylor stating publicly she was returning to Duke....got it.

Reaction Score
How is this any different than SC, UCONN and others who have stacked teams with freshmen that have to wait their turn? But now LSU has too much talent and so young kids should transfer? I just have to laugh at this thought process

Also, if she is good she will eventually play and earn time. Hailey Van Lith might only be a one year deal even though she has two years left potentially. So Velez could potentially be the emerging candidate year 2 if she makes progress year one. I am still not fully convinced Poole is good enough to run the PG spot full time but she is important for depth purposes. Velez is most definitely going to be ahead of Poa (who isn't a true PG) on this years team
I think the difference is building a team full of talent with consecutive recruiting classes where underclassmen expect to not play much as a Freshman or Sophomore, but LSU and others are interrupting this expected progression by using the portal. Now having said that TN is a little different. Their HS recruiting was on life support for a couple of years so...underclassmen didn't get kneecapped or underperformed. The second year TN raided the portal...there was a problem and underclassmen jumped ship. LSU took the same route, but the context was a little different in that there wasn't a lot of Frosh and Sophomores to nudge and the fact that Mulkey was starting anew there and assembling her own talent. She will have to revert to recruiting out of HS because I think it's a matter of time before transfer rules get more strict. Most teams use the portal to support a primary group...not replace them. If not for injuries...a player like Senechal may have played very little.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Isn’t Velez the only true point guard on LSU’s roster? Doesn’t mean she’ll get a lot of playing time out the gate.. but she’s an actual point guard, unlike a lot of people on that roster that might end up playing there a lot this year. I’d stay if I’m her.

Now if Jaloni Cambridge goes to LSU then she should DEFINITELY pack it up. Expeditiously. Lol

Reaction Score
I think the difference is building a team full of talent with consecutive recruiting classes where underclassmen expect to not play much as a Freshman or Sophomore, but LSU and others are interrupting this expected progression by using the portal. Now having said that TN is a little different. Their HS recruiting was on life support for a couple of years so...underclassmen didn't get kneecapped or underperformed. The second year TN raided the portal...there was a problem and underclassmen jumped ship. LSU took the same route, but the context was a little different in that there wasn't a lot of Frosh and Sophomores to nudge and the fact that Mulkey was starting anew there and assembling her own talent. She will have to revert to recruiting out of HS because I think it's a matter of time before transfer rules get more strict. Most teams use the portal to support a primary group...not replace them. If not for injuries...a player like Senechal may have played very little.
While I get that, Kim has only signed 2 recruiting classes at lsu. Flaujae started and Sa’Myah Smith got major minutes this past year. Mikaylah Williams will likely start and it’s not unreasonable that Velez gets some serviceable minutes off the bench and learn year 1. Advising Velez and LSUs incoming freshmen recruit to look else where because not all will start or get major minutes year one is silly to me.

Kim has heavily emphasized the future of the program will be built off HS recruits, but until she has 3-4 recruiting classes, transfers will bridge the gap until she gets more of her HS recruits in the mean time while also trying to build and maintain a program status.

Now if LSU signed a highly regarded 24 recruit, that may change the Velez situation greatly but she is fine right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
During her last years at Baylor, Kim's HS recruiting was pretty wobbly. Several transfers out, and she made heavy (and excellent) use of the transfer market for talent. Kim is recruiting the HS ranks better now at LSU than she did in her last years at Baylor, imo.

There were only 12 players on LSU's roster after the rebuild (and after Payne and Ware left early on), and only 8 of them played serious minutes (Ward, Besselman, Bartlett, and Williams did not). Of course Johnson and Smith played good minutes - someone had to.

I have no problem with any of this, but I do wonder -- players who need some time to develop: will they be given the chance, or will they be portaled over? (This comment is obviously made in the context of Kim at LSU, but I think it applies to lots of program that seem to rely on the portal -- Ole Miss comes to mind most obviously within the SEC.)

Reaction Score
During her last years at Baylor, Kim's HS recruiting was pretty wobbly. Several transfers out, and she made heavy (and excellent) use of the transfer market for talent. Kim is recruiting the HS ranks better now at LSU than she did in her last years at Baylor, imo.

There were only 12 players on LSU's roster after the rebuild (and after Payne and Ware left early on), and only 8 of them played serious minutes (Ward, Besselman, Bartlett, and Williams did not). Of course Johnson and Smith played good minutes - someone had to.

I have no problem with any of this, but I do wonder -- players who need some time to develop: will they be given the chance, or will they be portaled over? (This comment is obviously made in the context of Kim at LSU, but I think it applies to lots of program that seem to rely on the portal -- Ole Miss comes to mind most obviously within the SEC.)

Your comment about recruits getting portaled over is valid and it definitely applies to all conferences. Louisville could be seen as one example, especially last season. Just look at the transfer portal data on Raoul's website alone. I don't think there are a lot of teams with just one player leaving.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Besides us fans wailing, pacing, and throwing objects, what kinda noise did Duke make in the portal season?
You got me. I was looking at the recruits list, although they did get Emsbo & Mair. I was focused on what teams had 3+ recruits and tried to link that with the portal.

Reaction Score
Anybody know when these top international players usually commit?

RankNameCountry
1Justus JocyteLithuania
2Dominique MalongaFrance
3Anastasiia KosuFrance
4Cassandre roserCanada
5Annika Patricia SoltauGermany
6Nyadiew PuochAustralia
7Ariadna Termis CasasSpain
8Kati OllilainenFinland
9Dyani AnanievAustralia
10Emily KalenikPoland
11Dallas LoughridgeAustralia
12Georgia GrigoropoulouGreece
13Adja KaneFrance
14Isobel BorlaseAustralia
15Agata MakuratPoland

Reaction Score

RankNameCountry
1Justus JocyteLithuania
2Dominique MalongaFrance
3Anastasiia KosuFrance
4Cassandre roserCanada
6Nyadiew PuochAustralia
8Kati OllilainenFinland
9Dyani AnanievAustralia
10Emily KalenikPoland
13Adja KaneFrance
15Agata MakuratPoland
Agata has committed to Vanderbilt. The rest I have no idea but wouldn’t be surprised if most don’t.

Reaction Score

RankNameCountry
1Justus JocyteLithuania
2Dominique MalongaFrance
3Anastasiia KosuFrance
4Cassandre roserCanada
6Nyadiew PuochAustralia
8Kati OllilainenFinland
9Dyani AnanievAustralia
10Emily KalenikPoland
13Adja KaneFrance
15Agata MakuratPoland

#4 is Cassandre Prosper. She was an early enrollee this year for Notre Dame. Not sure about the rest as some may opt not to play NCAA and stay in Europe to go pro.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Soltau committed to Washington.

Reaction Score
I think Soltau committed to Washington.
She did. I only paid attention because Vandy's staff appeared to be interested in her early in the process. She also visited Michigan and North Carolina.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

RankNameCountry
1Justus JocyteLithuania
2Dominique MalongaFrance
3Anastasiia KosuFrance
4Cassandre roserCanada
6Nyadiew PuochAustralia
8Kati OllilainenFinland
9Dyani AnanievAustralia
10Emily KalenikPoland
13Adja KaneFrance
15Agata MakuratPoland
Jocyte (Lyon, ASVEL- Ligue Femenine de Basketball ), Malonga (Lyon, ASVEL), Kosu (UMMC Ekaterinburg - Russian PBL), and Puoch (Jayco Southside Flyers, Australian WNBL) all play for top level professional teams. Not 100% sure but I think they’ve relinquished their eligibility to play NCAA WBB. Didn’t check #7-#14 in your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom