2023 Winter Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2023 Winter Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Any guesses?

I just wrote an opinion on McGraw's Bench, agreeing with a guess of Tennessee or ND, with Tennessee in the midst of a late surge.
Can't see UNC, no matter how close to Thomas' Charlotte home, because Ciera Toomey -- who plays an awful lot like Thomas -- is arriving this summer at Chapel Hill.

Even though that social media exchange with Justine Pissot was a little weird (with Pissot bolting Knoxville for Vandy), Thomas seemed to have had a great visit to Tennessee and I hear her brother is going there, too. Easy for fam visits. And, as mentioned, all this has taken place recently.

Thomas has been to see ND on unofficial visits, several of her HS classmates are being courted by other ND athletic teams and she actively followed the Irish during the regular season on social media. And perhaps Coach Ivey arranged another under-the-radar official visit in April, like she did for Cassandre Prosper last spring. If so, great. If not, my last "hmmm" observation is that ND coaches were watching both Kate Koval and Kennedy Ume at AAU events last weekend. Tells me they're not sure and/or covering bases on the post front.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just wrote an opinion on McGraw's Bench, agreeing with a guess of Tennessee or ND, with Tennessee in the midst of a late surge.
Can't see UNC, no matter how close to Thomas' Charlotte home, because Ciera Toomey -- who plays an awful lot like Thomas -- is arriving this summer at Chapel Hill.

Even though that social media exchange with Justine Pissot was a little weird (with Pissot bolting Knoxville for Vandy), Thomas seemed to have had a great visit to Tennessee and I hear her brother is going there, too. Easy for fam visits. And, as mentioned, all this has taken place recently.

Thomas has been to see ND on unofficial visits, several of her HS classmates are being courted by other ND athletic teams and she actively followed the Irish during the regular season on social media. And perhaps Coach Ivey arranged another under-the-radar official visit in April, like she did for Cassandre Prosper last spring. If so, great. If not, my last "hmmm" observation is that ND coaches were watching both Kate Koval and Kennedy Ume at AAU events last weekend. Tells me they're not sure and/or covering bases on the post front.

Stay tuned.
Dillon77, with all due respect, but Blanca, and Ciera do NOT play alot alike, that's just not true. Ciera is a stretch, while Blanca more of back to the basket with SOME range, and I highlight SOME for a reason. She has taken two official visits. One to UNC, and the other to Tennessee. That it itself speaks volumes of her choices, you would think? While she does have a brother enrolling at Tennessee, please let's not forget she has a brother at Clemson as well. So let's not pencil her in at Tennessee for the reason of her brother enrolling there. I cant say where she'll end up, but if it has to do with the amount of visits she's taken, its UNC all day, everyday. Just check out her instagram page. She's been very PRO UNC when someone commits there. For example, look at Indya Nivar page when she commited there, and her comment to Indya. The only thing I see UNC has going against them is they will have several Post on the roster when she arrives.(Toomey, Grays, and Gakdeng). Grays is more in the role of Blanca, but Blanca is definitely the better offensive player of the two. Admittedly, I don't have a clue, but my $ is Blanca Thomas to UNC!

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon77, with all due respect, but Blanca, and Ciera do NOT play alot alike, that's just not true. Ciera is a stretch, while Blanca more of back to the basket with SOME range, and I highlight SOME for a reason. She has taken two official visits. One to UNC, and the other to Tennessee. That it itself speaks volumes of her choices, you would think? While she does have a brother enrolling at Tennessee, please let's not forget she has a brother at Clemson as well. So let's not pencil her in at Tennessee for the reason of her brother enrolling there. I cant say where she'll end up, but if it has to do with the amount of visits she's taken, its UNC all day, everyday. Just check out her instagram page. She's been very PRO UNC when someone commits there. For example, look at Indya Nivar page when she commited there, and her comment to Indya. The only thing I see UNC has going against them is they will have several Post on the roster when she arrives.(Toomey, Grays, and Gakdeng). Grays is more in the role of Blanca, but Blanca is definitely the better offensive player of the two. Admittedly, I don't have a clue, but my $ is Blanca Thomas to UNC!

Me thinks I've run into someone who really hopes that Ms. Thomas heads to Chapel Hill ;). And, all power to you.

Let me articulate a bit: Yes, Thomas was initially a back-to-the-basket post, but she's done a bit of revision on her game (at least in what I've read and seen of recent clips) to face the basket on occasion. Does she have Toomey's range? Absolutely not. But Toomey isn't a Maddy Westbeld, either.

However, I don't think they're the kind of players you'd put on the floor at the same time, particularly if you also have Gakdeng and Grays there. I'm not as familiar with Grays, but Gakdeng offers defense, rebounding and can run the floor. So, if anything, there's multiple reasons a post who wants to play immediately -- and a lot -- might want to take that into consideration.

Now if Thomas is connected with Coach Banghart and UNC as a whole, all power to her.

I usually don't get into picking ultimate schools, but the question was asked and, truth be told, I feel a bit removed regarding this prospect. Like I said, Thomas has been to ND early (and again), but it doesn't look like she took an OV, so my guess is ND made "the final four or five."

Good luck to your rooting interest. We'll see how it plays out on the floor in a year or so.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think UNC or Tennessee

4386e40ecfb57fac48d081ad271a4009.jpg

Please let it be the Vols. Please please please

Reaction Score
Contrary to most - and in spite of their early success - I'm not sold yet on either Banghart or Lawson as upper echelon P5 coaches. Same goes for Barnes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Contrary to most - and in spite of their early success - I'm not sold yet on either Banghart or Lawson as upper echelon P5 coaches. Same goes for Barnes.
That's fair enough. I would think upper echelon is fairly rare company. All have been relatively successful, but aren't close to the elite ranks of coaches I'd say. Barnes at least got to a Championship game, but kinda looks like a one off and they haven't done much sense. Lawson appears to be turning things around, but really hasn't done anything yet. UNC was a bit disappointing last year I thought after Banghart seemed to have them poised to really move forward.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That's fair enough. I would think upper echelon is fairly rare company. All have been relatively successful, but aren't close to the elite ranks of coaches I'd say. Barnes at least got to a Championship game, but kinda looks like a one off and they haven't done much sense. Lawson appears to be turning things around, but really hasn't done anything yet. UNC was a bit disappointing last year I thought after Banghart seemed to have them poised to really move forward.
The aspect about Barnes at Arizona that keeps catching my eye is the churn of both players and assistants/staff. Here we go again:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
2024 PF Justice Carlton (Katy, TX) will announce her Top 5 schools Friday at 6 PM Central.
Wasn't Justice the person that had 20 or 21 schools on her initial "cut-down" list?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wasn't Justice the person that had 20 or 21 schools on her initial "cut-down" list?
She is the one who posted her top 20 but it included 21 school logos. Her list was kind of all of the place. But what do you expect with a top 20*

*read 21

Reaction Score
FYI - This should be interesting as Syla Swords is currently at the Senior Women's team training camp. Looking forward to hearing where she's going as the family has kept everything in house.

Whichever program lands her are getting a good player who has great work ethic too. Sudbury, Ontario isn't seen as a hotbed of basketball. Happy to see the growth of talent in Canada. :)

Reaction Score
FYI - This should be interesting as Syla Swords is currently at the Senior Women's team training camp. Looking forward to hearing where she's going as the family has kept everything in house.

Whichever program lands her are getting a good player who has great work ethic too. Sudbury, Ontario isn't seen as a hotbed of basketball. Happy to see the growth of talent in Canada. :)

Social media suggests Michigan is a possibility. Seems like it would be a good fit if that is where she chooses.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Wow, that snuck up fast! On the other hand, it is late spring/early summer. Like you said, I've heard mostly crickets, save for a few mentions of Michigan, as @DaBball brought up. Kim Barnes Arrico, with her background in New Jersey and Long Island (St. John's) has always kept contacts in that region, so I could see this connection. Another person I could see her playing for is Megan Duffy, at Marquette, which makes sense since she's an Arrico (and McGraw) disciple.

So, this is today, right?

Reaction Score
Wow, that snuck up fast! On the other hand, it is late spring/early summer. Like you said, I've heard mostly crickets, save for a few mentions of Michigan, as @DaBball brought up. Kim Barnes Arrico, with her background in New Jersey and Long Island (St. John's) has always kept contacts in that region, so I could see this connection. Another person I could see her playing for is Megan Duffy, at Marquette, which makes sense since she's an Arrico (and McGraw) disciple.

So, this is today, right?

Yes it's today. Meant to post it yesterday but got sidetracked.

Michigan would be an interesting choice with Olson also going there as a 2024. Going into this upcoming season, their style of play could be very different from what we've seen before based on the roster in place. We'll know soon enough

If she's doing this live from the CB training camp in Edmonton, that would be cool to see. The talent coming out of Canada is continuing to improve which is great to see from my perspective.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what this exchange was with Pissott.

Reaction Score
l’ve been saying that I think she’s a lock for Texas, along with Aaliyah Chavez (her AAU running mate).
I predicted 4 out of her top 5 correct. Only one I missed was Arizona (I assumed the 5th spot would be Baylor). I do have to say, its a little odd not seeing Baylor on there given the connections and how many times she has been around that program over the years but maybe she wants to carve out a different legacy than her mom.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I predicted 4 out of her top 5 correct. Only one I missed was Arizona (I assumed the 5th spot would be Baylor). I do have to say, its a little odd not seeing Baylor on there given the connections and how many times she has been around that program over the years but maybe she wants to carve out a different legacy than her mom.
On a different board, my predictions were Baylor, Texas, Arizona, Duke, and LSU. So, 3 out of 5 correct. Baylor not being included is a surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99