2023 Starting QB Debate | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I may not follow football as closely as basketball but I do pay attention. We won 6 games this year with a Freshman backup that became QB1 due to injury. He was missing key offensive players all year and we still won 6 games. Many people are ready to toss the entire QB roster for what could be behind door #1and I don't get it. Yes, I see a need to improve at QB but also believe our staff is capable of making current players better. How many people wrote off Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville before his improvement this season? I'm not saying we don't take a QB in portal if he can help, I just think we will improve even if we don't. Isn't Ta'Quan Roberson expected to be healthy next season?
Flip side is if they didn’t have a frosh qb probably could have won 8 games.

Just saying. I like Turner’s leadership and guts. He does have ability. But the position has to be better going forward in accuracy and production and preciseness.

Can he do it? Yes. But competition is important.

Reaction Score
The bottom line to me is this: Zion did his best and no one should be criticizing him in terms of grit and effort - what a gritty kid. But we also had 3-4 scholarship QB’s on the bench, think they deserved better than they got this year too.

Zion has 3 INT’s yesterday and his passing yards were minimal.

I think Mora made a big mistake leaving him in the game yesterday after he was obviously hurt and we still had a chance to stay in the game at the end.

With that being said, Zion has in no way earned the Starting Spot for next year. It is as wide open and wide open can be. We cannot beat top teams throwing for 100 yards a game.

Reaction Score
Was this year’s ZT as good as we want to be in the position? Heck no. That shouldn’t be arguable. Is there every chance that, having been forced in as a true freshman with no backup behind him he could be better as years go on? Of course there is.

But improvement isn’t guaranteed either. So what do we have in the QB room to push him and to start if he doesn’t get better? We have Roberson, but you can’t count on someone coming off knee surgery to be near 100% by the start of next year. Maybe, maybe not. And, while we know Roberson won the job in camp, we don’t know how far ahead of ZT he was. We have Millen, who was pushed out of the QB room at Oregon, didn’t win the job at a FCS school and then was unable to throw beyond the level of a high school QB this year. Might his arm be totally better when he recovers from his second shoulder surgery? Possibly, but given his prior record and what we saw, you absolutely can’t count on that. And then we have Tyler Phommachanh, who incredibly the press really hasn’t pushed Mora on as this season wore on. Is he simply viewed as not a QB by the staff? Was he never recovered from the knee enough that playing was a real possibility this year? We have no clue. But that he didn’t warm up either when ZT had to be pulled to be calmed down in the 1st Q or when ZT hurt himself in the 4th Q tells us that it’s clearly one or the other, because look — you can’t rationally think Millen this year looked better than Tyler Phommachanh did last year. It can’t be that Tyler Phommachanh is viewed as a QB, could have played but Millen was just the better back up when ZT sat.

So the point is that, in this QB room today, we don’t have one QB who you can count on pushing ZT when camp opens in August, much less spring ball. Lewis, if the rumors are true and he’s coming, gives us at least one other option. Do we need a second portal QB beyond that? That depends on what the staff thinks of Tyler Phommachanh and what the medical prognoses are on the other three. But reognize that for a program like ours, it’s one thing to get a guy like Lewis (who did have reasonable success for one year on a P-5 level) to come here and compete, but it’s harder to get the second guy once Lewis is already here.

And if ZT wins the job again, I’ll assume its because he shows improvement and will be better and, as I keep saying, I’ll be fine with that AS LONG AS HE HAS TO GET BETTER TO WIN THE JOB. And it didn’t take a rocket scientist yesterday to see that if Marion and Ross come back healthy, even if we don’t get the big #1 target at WR it will be far easier to get receivers open and YAC than it was this year.

Reaction Score
Point being as a true freshman he did just fine keeping up with his peers in the same situation who were far more experienced. ZT didn't. EJ Warner had no excuse about being a true freshman on an arguably worse supporting cast than UConn team.
Maybe Warner didn’t want to play at UConn

Reaction Score
Please pump the brakes guys......Student athletes read these sites
It is not personal. The performance of student athletes is fair game. What is not okay is personal attacks or name calling. But if someone plays a terrible game or makes a lousy play it is a relevant discussion point.

Reaction Score
Under the category of "we will never know":
What if Steve K stuck around? Would they have been better?
Pros:
IMO he threw and ran better than the starter. He could get it downfield and get rid of it quickly. With the better coaching and line play, how well would he have done? He seemed to improve the more he played, which brings us to the cons.
Cons:
Would he stay healthy? Track record says otherwise. Would he turn the ball over more? Did he have the leadership qualities the team would gravitate to?

Ultimately, I think he could have done well.
P.S. but not as well as David Pindel would have done!

Reaction Score
This year ZT was decent game manager when he didnt make mistakes and the run game was producing. UConn’s strength needs to continue to be the O-line and the run game, but the QB needs to be able to illicit some downfield fear. ZT is not a high quality dual threat QB no matter how much fans or announcers try to push that aspect of his game. UConn needs to define its offense. Is it dual threat and a mobile running QB? Or is it a strong running game w/ a semi-mobile play action pocket passer? ZT as a freshman didn’t fit either of this roles. Thus the offense stagnated.

Reaction Score
Point being as a true freshman he did just fine keeping up with his peers in the same situation who were far more experienced. ZT didn't. EJ Warner had no excuse about being a true freshman on an arguably worse supporting cast than UConn team.
Warner’s team had a record of 3-9. Zion’s had a record of 6-7. Which would you choose?

Reaction Score
Zion graduated HS in June and got put in a tough situation. He deserves a shout out from all of us. I think that his play book was pretty limited and we were easy to read on defense. Would have liked more throws on first down.

A good situation next year. I agree that if we bring somebody in it would be a senior. Let Zion have RS. Let Roberson and whoever fight it out.

Reaction Score
He's not the one that introduced Trevor Lawrence into the conversation. People are saying the QB productivity has to improve by a lot. Whether that is from ZT or somomeone else. Completing 33%, with 3 INTs and fumble will give you zero chance to win as we saw yesterday. Freshman or not, yesterday was pretty dreadful from the QB spot overall.
Trevor Lawerence was introduced into the discussion about his first year vs second year in NFL, he introduced the Trevor Lawerence as a freshman in college conversation, the one to which I replied to. And as I’ve said throughout this thread I don’t disagree there is likely a better option out there, but the kid was thrown to the wolves and won 6 games. I’m not looking to give him a statue, but I also don’t think we should be taking him over the coals. Most people expected three wins this year, and now in typical UConn fan entitlement fashion after doubling their expectations they’re still looking for reasons to call it a failure.

Reaction Score
Trevor Lawerence was introduced into the discussion about his first year vs second year in NFL, he introduced the Trevor Lawerence as a freshman in college conversation, the one to which I replied to. And as I’ve said throughout this thread I don’t disagree there is likely a better option out there, but the kid was thrown to the wolves and won 6 games. I’m not looking to give him a statue, but I also don’t think we should be taking him over the coals. Most people expected three wins this year, and now in typical UConn fan entitlement fashion after doubling their expectations they’re still looking for reasons to call it a failure.
In fairness, I haven't seen a single person call this season a failure. Apologies if I missed the odd one or two. But it's not mutually inconsistent to believe that the season was a success and that we need to get considerably better at QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In fairness, I haven't seen a single person call this season a failure. Apologies if I missed the odd one or two. But it's not mutually inconclusive to believe that the season was a success and that we need to get considerably better at QB.
Roaring success. Now we want even better.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I may not follow football as closely as basketball but I do pay attention. We won 6 games this year with a Freshman backup that became QB1 due to injury. He was missing key offensive players all year and we still won 6 games. Many people are ready to toss the entire QB roster for what could be behind door #1and I don't get it. Yes, I see a need to improve at QB but also believe our staff is capable of making current players better. How many people wrote off Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville before his improvement this season? I'm not saying we don't take a QB in portal if he can help, I just think we will improve even if we don't. Isn't Ta'Quan Roberson expected to be healthy next season?
Wasn't Lawrence a very good starter as a freshman? Tua also?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tom Brady has college eligibility left?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know anything about Brayden Zemeno? I know he joined the team during the season coming here from Arizona.

Brayden Zermeno is 6-4 220lb. Offers from Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Idaho, Lehigh, Maryland, Penn, Princeton (Committed), San Diego State, William & Mary and Yale coming out of high school.

“Zermeno is a freshman from Los Angeles. He had double-digit offers coming out of Loyola High School. Most were from FCS schools, but two were from FBS programs: Maryland and San Diego State. He was committed to Princeton before coming to Arizona as a preferred walk-on.”

Three Star preferred walk on at Arizona.

Reaction Score
We also have a true freshman coming in. I certainly don’t expect him to start next year but it gives us added depth at the position. To me the true freshman excuse goes away after game 6 or 7. I mean he played virtually every play, had #1 reps and attention in practice. By game 13 you can’t be making the same mistakes you made in game 2 and the staff can’t discard large chunks of the playbook. Yet here we are. This was a fun season. Far better than anyone expected. But it needs to continue going forward and to do that the quarterback position needs to be significantly better.

Reaction Score
Warner’s team had a record of 3-9. Zion’s had a record of 6-7. Which would you choose?
Would I rather have a quarterback who threw for more yards and touchdowns, while having the same amount of turnovers like EJ did, yes, all day.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think it’ll be Zion, unless they get someone unexpected. He’s not giving the job back to Roberson at this point, and Lewis would have to dominate practice.

Reaction Score
I expect Roberson to take the job away from Zion if they are the top two guys. Either way, I’m really hoping to get another QB that is ready to play. Not getting Drew Pyne was a disappointment.

Reaction Score
I expect Roberson to take the job away from Zion if they are the top two guys. Either way, I’m really hoping to get another QB that is ready to play. Not getting Drew Pyne was a disappointment.
was expected

Reaction Score
Personally I don't think that Zion did enough to win the starting job, even though his receivers simply refused to get any separation down the field outside of Marion when he was healthy. I expect the competition to be open come spring practice. Brendon Lewis potentially on his way throws a spanner into the works because he has real P5 starting experience. Can't imagine all three of Zion, Roberson and Lewis would be on the roster to start the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom