2023 Starting QB Debate | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just the fact that we are having this conversation tells the story. Zion did not do enough to keep Roberson and/or a portal QB being a potential #1 QB. For the team to take the next step they need a downfield passing game and a smart QB that isn’t mistake prone. Will be a fun spring and fall camp.
He wasn't ready to play this year. He has a record, but Mora has to get options here. Roberson went down, Millen couldn't throw and TPhom might not even be a QB.

I think they need to perhaps convert MIllen and TPhom to different positions and then have Roberson, Turner and maybe a another Portal QB or two compete. Also, they need to bring in another freshman QB.

I have no view on Robersen, never saw him play. Turner needs work. It's just reps, practice and film work. He doesn't have other worldly physical gifts so he has to be productive with precision and decision-making.

I like the WRs. But, they need another one and need to stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Of course I’m going to look at his high school stats when you say he didn’t have a chance to sling the ball much in high school. So now you’re saying he was better in high school bc he had better receivers. So do we need a new QB or do we need better receivers bc you’re starting to talk in circles.
Every qb that is recruited is obviously better in high school, but when you get to college, you’re obviously gonna get tested because you’re playing against athletes who are as good as you. Like everyone have said, Zion throws a good deep ball but is he quick, decisive and able pass the ball around? That I don’t think so because in high school you are not really asked to read the defense and go through your progression and decipher who is gonna be open because of the game speed, whereas in college you actually have to go through your progressions at a much quicker pace. All I’m saying is we need a qb who is experienced and is able sling the ball around to the wrs at a much quicker pace than Zion.

Reaction Score
Every qb that is recruited is obviously better in high school, but when you get to college, you’re obviously gonna get tested because you’re playing against athletes who are as good as you. Like everyone have said, Zion throws a good deep ball but is he quick, decisive and able pass the ball around? That I don’t think so because in high school you are not really asked to read the defense and go through your progression and decipher who is gonna be open because of the game speed, whereas in college you actually have to go through your progressions at a much quicker pace. All I’m saying is we need a qb who is experienced and is able sling the ball around to the wrs at a much quicker pace than Zion.
I agree with 100% of everything you said, but I also feel like the fact he was thrown into the position as a true freshman when there was really no plan to be playing him, while also playing with a depleted receiving core, I think he held his own. He won 6 games, I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s not a college qb, but I’m also not opposed to a proven transfer coming in. I just feel like with the cards he was dealt, and frankly the expectations we all had going into the season, he was adequately successful leading the team.

Reaction Score
I agree with 100% of everything you said, but I also feel like the fact he was thrown into the position as a true freshman when there was really no plan to be playing him, while also playing with a depleted receiving core, I think he held his own. He won 6 games, I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s not a college qb, but I’m also not opposed to a proven transfer coming in. I just feel like with the cards he was dealt, and frankly the expectations we all had going into the season, he was adequately successful leading the team.
100% agree with you. I do think he is a college qb, but with the cards he was dealt it was expected he would struggle. Plus he was literally 3 months removed from high school and expected to play. You don’t usually see that much often in college.

Reaction Score
If Zion is the QB, Uconn slips back to 3,4, maybe 5 wins. He is not the answer at QB. He is a big part of the problem with this impotent offense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Well, there needs to be a step up.

I had no problem with Zion playing after Roberson went down in game 1.

If ZT is the starter in 2023 I'll be disappointed. And I don't think Phomachanh us the answer either.

Transfer portal, Millen or someone else.
Millen?????????????????????????????????????????

Reaction Score
I think ZT did a reasonable job this year based on the difficult situation he inherited. However, there were games where we refused to throw the ball downfield because of his limitations and he was awful today. It’s tough to win in either of these scenarios.

I hope he improves in the off-season, but the QB competition is clearly open. There will be a mix of current roster guys and portal additions when we open camp. May the best man win.

Reaction Score
Zions a warrior and up until the first qtr today, I’d say unflappable. I’m interested to see growth across the board, but as of today, we need a huge upgrade at the qb position. Can it be him? Sure. But if I were a dc, I’d sell out against the run versus us until someone can throw a decent pass and someone can create separation.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brendan Lewis, sophomore, seems like a verbal commit. Tons of UConn players following on social. On3 has him @100 % to UConn.

Coach Twitter follows
Mora follows McCall, Bachmeier, JT Daniels, Kedon Slovis, Graham Mertz, Deacon Hill

Charlton follows Fagnano(Maine), Bachmeier, Connor Bazelak... Also lots of 23/24 QBs.

Seems like they should be targeting a SR. One and done. Bachmeier fits the bill, so does Slovis, and Daniels.
No, no, a thousand times no. You'd simply be getting an older Zion. Great deep ball, poor reads, lack of pocket awareness.

Reaction Score
If you think that a true frosh qb won't get much better when he has Zions pedigree you are probably not judging the situation fairly.
Anybody who thinks Zion is dead in the water at UConn is dumb. I would like to get more bodies in here and red-shirt him if I can. I know that's harder to do in this day and age of the transfer portal but he needs time to get better in all aspects in the game. If he came back as a RS Jr. faster and wiser then that's great. That being said I do worry about spending more time with him learning on the field and I hope we get somebody in the portal.

Reaction Score
Zion is a kid. He’s got skills. He’s mentally tough. Do I think he’s ready to be QB1? Not yet. Do I think he’s going to improve and be a legit QB1? Yes. Is he the guy for next year…maybe not? Have faith in Mora…he’s gonna bring a portal QB in and they can all battle it out. They play the guy who gives the team the best chance to win. ZT was that guy this year. Green…depleted WR group. They did the best with what they had. Trust the process and take a deep breath. It’s only gonna get better from here on out.

Reaction Score
I may not follow football as closely as basketball but I do pay attention. We won 6 games this year with a Freshman backup that became QB1 due to injury. He was missing key offensive players all year and we still won 6 games. Many people are ready to toss the entire QB roster for what could be behind door #1and I don't get it. Yes, I see a need to improve at QB but also believe our staff is capable of making current players better. How many people wrote off Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville before his improvement this season? I'm not saying we don't take a QB in portal if he can help, I just think we will improve even if we don't. Isn't Ta'Quan Roberson expected to be healthy next season?

Reaction Score
I may not follow football as closely as basketball but I do pay attention. We won 6 games this year with a Freshman backup that became QB1 due to injury. He was missing key offensive players all year and we still won 6 games. Many people are ready to toss the entire QB roster for what could be behind door #1and I don't get it. Yes, I see a need to improve at QB but also believe our staff is capable of making current players better. How many people wrote off Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville before his improvement this season? I'm not saying we don't take a QB in portal if he can help, I just think we will improve even if we don't. Isn't Ta'Quan Roberson expected to be healthy next season?

These posts are so emotional and weird. No one is trying to kick him out of the school, but we need better QB production next year, period. Whether that's ZT or someone else, there needs to be competition.

ZT isn't Trevor Lawrence, btw. Bizarre comparison.

Reaction Score
Zion finished his high school career with 4951 passing yards and 59 TD’s. By comparison Roberson finished his high school career with 4972 yards and 60 TD’s. What is your definition of slinging the ball around? But for the record I’m not saying this in support of him being the QB going forward, more just to see what you’re looking for.
Zion played a year plus longer in high school than Taquan. If you even their playing time Taquan would of had 7500 yards and 90 touchdowns. Zion had a year experience under his belt yesterday and a full compliment of offensive weapons. He is no longer a freshman and you can't complain about not having people. He threw for 166 yards had three interceptions and a fumble. That is horrific.

Reaction Score
These posts are so emotional and weird. No one is trying to kick him out of the school, but we need better QB production next year, period. Whether that's ZT or someone else, there needs to be competition.

Show me where my post was emotional, I even agreed QB position needs improvement.
Comparison wasn't saying ZT is Trevor Lawrence, it was saying people thought the number one draft pick of the NFL was a bust and look at dramatic improvement from one year to next.

Reaction Score
Show me where my post was emotional, I even agreed QB position needs improvement.
Comparison wasn't saying ZT is Trevor Lawrence, it was saying people thought the number one draft pick of the NFL was a bust and look at dramatic improvement from one year to next.
Trevor Lawrence won the national title as a True Freshman and I was told you cannot be good as a true freshman.

Reaction Score
Trevor Lawrence won the national title as a True Freshman and I was told you cannot be good as a true freshman.
Also gotta look at the team and talent he had around him. It helps when you have a bunch of 4 stars and 5 star seasoned veterans. I am not saying we are not talented because we are, but we do not have the same talent all around the roster as Clemson does.

Reaction Score
Also gotta look at the team and talent he had around him. It helps when you have a bunch of 4 stars and 5 star seasoned veterans. I am not saying we are not talented because we are, but we do not have the same talent all around the roster as Clemson does.
Point being as a true freshman he did just fine keeping up with his peers in the same situation who were far more experienced. ZT didn't. EJ Warner had no excuse about being a true freshman on an arguably worse supporting cast than UConn team.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, you just compared Zion Turner to Trevor Lawerence to make a point? You have officially lost any credibility in further argument. That’s like asking why Alex Karaban isn’t having as successful of a freshman season as Kevin Durant. I mean they play the same position, why aren’t they equally achieving?

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, you just compared Zion Turner to Trevor Lawerence to make a point? You have officially lost any credibility in further argument. That’s like asking why Alex Karaban isn’t having as successful of a freshman season as Kevin Durant. I mean they play the same position, why aren’t they equally achieving?
He's not the one that introduced Trevor Lawrence into the conversation. People are saying the QB productivity has to improve by a lot. Whether that is from ZT or somomeone else. Completing 33%, with 3 INTs and fumble will give you zero chance to win as we saw yesterday. Freshman or not, yesterday was pretty dreadful from the QB spot overall.

Reaction Score
Did you read what I was replying to? The claim was he wasn’t slinging the ball around in high school to develop as a passer. My response was exactly relevant, yours is out of context.

Also his 9/27 was good for 166 yards vs 93 for Marshall. His fumble and int were the problem today. Do you think the Marshall board is looking for a new QB after finishing 9-4? He got thrown into a position as a true freshman with literally all skilled positions being decimated by injuries and still won 6 games. If I asked you to take that bet in August would you have?
Once again the awful performance of the MU QB is not relevant to the discussion of ZT.

The Huskies won six games because the defense played very well this year. ZT is a game manager. His job is to value the football.

I actually don't understand the point you're trying to make but it seems you are trying to defend the indefensible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom