2023 Starting QB Debate | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, there needs to be a step up.

I had no problem with Zion playing after Roberson went down in game 1.

If ZT is the starter in 2023 I'll be disappointed. And I don't think Phomachanh us the answer either.

Transfer portal, Millen or someone else.

Reaction Score
I hope ZIon is… and i think he will be our starting quarterback in year

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I am not selling my Zion stock as so many others did today. I still think he can get better and throws a pretty good ball. That said, I hope we are aggressive in the portal because I think a poised, veteran QB is the missing link for this roster in 2023.

Will be interesting to see what Roberson brings to the competition. Easy to forget he was QB1 to start the year

Reaction Score
Millen's arm, is um, did you see the deep throw today? Has to be Roberson or a Portal/Juco. Zion could make a leap maybe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am not selling my Zion stock as so many others did today. I still think he can get better and throws a pretty good ball. That said, I hope we are aggressive in the portal because I think a poised, veteran QB is the missing link for this roster in 2023.

Will be interesting to see what Roberson brings to the competition. Easy to forget he was QB1 to start the year

I'm not against Zion starting in 2024 or 2025. He has some things to work with but he needs some time to develop it.

Reaction Score
Just the fact that we are having this conversation tells the story. Zion did not do enough to keep Roberson and/or a portal QB being a potential #1 QB. For the team to take the next step they need a downfield passing game and a smart QB that isn’t mistake prone. Will be a fun spring and fall camp.

Reaction Score
Well, there needs to be a step up.

I had no problem with Zion playing after Roberson went down in game 1.

If ZT is the starter in 2023 I'll be disappointed. And I don't think Phomachanh us the answer either.

Transfer portal, Millen or someone else.

Millen should not be in the discussion as a QB. He needs to convert to TE however.

Either Roberson is healthy and wins the job or it’s a portal QB. Zion is not the guy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Millen's arm, is um, did you see the deep throw today? Has to be Roberson or a Portal/Juco. Zion could make a leap maybe.

I don't know how you fix not having a sense of timing in the pocket or the irresistible urge to huck balls over the middle while not looking. Then there is the matter of missing open receivers. That last one you can possibly fix, but why risk your entire season on that occurring over the next 8 months.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Millen should not be in the discussion as a QB. He needs to convert to TE however.

Either Roberson is healthy and wins the job or it’s a portal QB. Zion is not the guy.

I hope they can do better Tham any QB on the roster with possible exception of Roberson. No ZT, Tyler Phommachanh or Millen next year.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What is disappointing in QB play is that there didn't appear to be any growth during the season. Of course part of that was the lack of receivers.

It should be interesting to see what happens in the Qb room over the next week or so. It feels like next year's starter is not on the team yet.

Reaction Score
Why are we doing this? Do you have any faith in Mora? You have zero idea what leaps ZT will make during the summer and early fall.

The barn was burnt down the last few years and Mora, behind ZT at the helm, swept all that away and started laying a new foundation....calm down folks. Yeesh.

Reaction Score
What is disappointing in QB play is that there didn't appear to be any growth during the season. Of course part of that was the lack of receivers.

It should be interesting to see what happens in the Qb room over the next week or so. It feels like next year's starter is not on the team yet.
I disagree, because we have solid wrs, but it’s not gonna help if Zion can’t get the ball to them. He was 2/12 the first half for 49 yards. A) either Marshall dbs were locking our receivers up or B) Zion isn’t capable of being quick with getting the ball out and also reading the field well. It doesn’t help that in high school he never was slinging the ball around to develop as a passer

Reaction Score
I disagree, because we have solid wrs, but it’s not gonna help if Zion can’t get the ball to them. He was 2/12 the first half for 49 yards. A) either Marshall dbs were locking our receivers up or B) Zion isn’t capable of being quick with getting the ball out and also reading the field well. It doesn’t help that in high school he never was slinging the ball around to develop as a passer
Trust HC Mora he knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
Anyone saying Puma isn’t the answer is very closed minded. Puma showed more scrambling around than anyone else has since. He may not be a legit FBS QB, but he absolutely showed as much as we’ve seen from Zion and Millen and he had pea brains for coaches.

I want to see Tyler Phommachanh, Roberson or someone new. Zion needs a year or two to develop. I am not trashing Zion, it was just too much, too soon for him.

Reaction Score
Brendan Lewis, sophomore, seems like a verbal commit. Tons of UConn players following on social. On3 has him @100 % to UConn.

Coach Twitter follows
Mora follows McCall, Bachmeier, JT Daniels, Kedon Slovis, Graham Mertz, Deacon Hill

Charlton follows Fagnano(Maine), Bachmeier, Connor Bazelak... Also lots of 23/24 QBs.

Seems like they should be targeting a SR. One and done. Bachmeier fits the bill, so does Slovis, and Daniels.

Reaction Score
Zion finished his high school career with 4951 passing yards and 59 TD’s. By comparison Roberson finished his high school career with 4972 yards and 60 TD’s. What is your definition of slinging the ball around? But for the record I’m not saying this in support of him being the QB going forward, more just to see what you’re looking for.

Reaction Score
Zion finished his high school career with 4951 passing yards and 59 TD’s. By comparison Roberson finished his high school career with 4972 yards and 60 TD’s. What is your definition of slinging the ball around? But for the record I’m not saying this in support of him being the QB going forward, more just to see what you’re looking for.
He was 9-27 today. 9-27. Virtually all hs QBs have super numbers, not relevant.

Reaction Score
He was 9-27 today. 9-27. Virtually all hs QBs have super numbers, not relevant.
Did you read what I was replying to? The claim was he wasn’t slinging the ball around in high school to develop as a passer. My response was exactly relevant, yours is out of context.

Also his 9/27 was good for 166 yards vs 93 for Marshall. His fumble and int were the problem today. Do you think the Marshall board is looking for a new QB after finishing 9-4? He got thrown into a position as a true freshman with literally all skilled positions being decimated by injuries and still won 6 games. If I asked you to take that bet in August would you have?

Reaction Score
well if you look at his high school stats yea those numbers stand out, but you also have to take into account he had stellar wideouts that are playing at big time programs. It’s easy to throw fade balls and slants when you have stellar wrs in high school and also not going against a defense full of recruits like you are in college. Plus level of speed is much different. In a nutshell what I mean by slinging it around is able to pass the ball around and be quick and decisive. At UConn, we have good wrs obviously not stellar wrs, but all of the opposing teams I have seen during the season have qbs that can pass the ball around to different wide receivers whereas we’re kinda handicap.

Reaction Score
well if you look at his high school stats yea those numbers stand out, but you also have to take into account he had stellar wideouts that are playing at big time programs. It’s easy to throw fade balls and slants when you have stellar wrs in high school and also not going against a defense full of recruits like you are in college. Plus level of speed is much different. In a nutshell what I mean by slinging it around is able to pass the ball around and be quick and decisive. At UConn, we have good wrs obviously not stellar wrs, but all of the opposing teams I have seen during the season have qbs that can pass the ball around to different wide receivers whereas we’re kinda handicap.
Of course I’m going to look at his high school stats when you say he didn’t have a chance to sling the ball much in high school. So now you’re saying he was better in high school bc he had better receivers. So do we need a new QB or do we need better receivers bc you’re starting to talk in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom