2023 New school commitments by Transfers | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2023 New school commitments by Transfers

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan is taking this news really hard, resorting to slinging food insults! :D

I just feel bad for Wake Forest and their 135 WBB fans. They have had probably 2 All-ACC players in the past two decades, Dearica Hamby and Spears. They pretty much are never gonna win anything ever. The Deacs spent time and effort recruiting Spears.. she turns out to be a better player than forecast... and boom... she is gone before she graduates and heads off to the sunny orange skies of eastern Tennessee.

I had plans on introducing my girlfriend to the great joys of ACC WBB by taking her to a Wake game next season. I don't wanna go if they are gonna get beat by 40 points. :oops:

Reaction Score
Good pickup for Tennessee. A line up of Wells/Spear/Darby/Jackson/Key looks solid. Big question mark for them is coaching--can Kellie get this team to play at a high level?

The best Coaches in the Country (Geno, Kim, Dawn) could make this 5 a Top 10 team at least. 3 players who can score at a high level, a sharpshooter and defensive anchor big. Next season should say a lot about Kellie as a Coach.

This is arguably their best team since the UConn series started back up, I’m upset it won’t be happening this year.

Reaction Score
How do you pay a $25k salary? I’ve heard that is what is happening at LSU, but much higher numbers. Is it because it is completely unregulated. I honestly don’t understand how this is happening. I think I understand where the money is coming from ( for LSU players) but how do you pay a flat fee? That is not NIL that is pay to play.

On our premium board it has been stated that we are not involved w/Spear because she is asking for a minimum of $100k.

I’m all for NIL. What I’m not for is pay to play. Make it make sense.
It’s not a salary. It is the per player share of profits from the school collective on merchandising of player jerseys, photos, Team appearances, programs etc. it worked out to 25k last year. Might get raised on lowered this year but will probably be close to the same.

The individual star players make their own deals with Gatorade, Bose, shoe companies, etc. but they share the collective money equally with the player at the end of the bench.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Sakima Walker to SC. Excited for that development. Maybe why Morrow isn’t visiting SC?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think it’s more of she’s committed now that morrow isnt coming.
I'm kinda late to the party and have only looked at a few previous thread pages, so has Morrow officially decided on her new school?

Reaction Score
I'm kinda late to the party and have only looked at a few previous thread pages, so has Morrow officially decided on her new school?
No, and she hasn't "officially" cancelled her Scar visit but we all think Walker's commitment confirms it all.

Reaction Score

She has posted on Twitter saying "Today's the day" and Reese did the upside down smiley emoji she likes to use for good news. We'll see soon enough.

Reaction Score
It’s not a salary. It is the per player share of profits from the school collective on merchandising of player jerseys, photos, Team appearances, programs etc. it worked out to 25k last year. Might get raised on lowered this year but will probably be close to the same.

The individual star players make their own deals with Gatorade, Bose, shoe companies, etc. but they share the collective money equally with the player at the end of the bench.
This is very interesting and clarified a lot of questions I had about NIL. Adia Barnes said that she lost a player to the portal cuz another school offered 100k. The players she lost in the portal this year didn't go to like top tier programs. It's really fascinating.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just feel bad for Wake Forest and their 135 WBB fans. They have had probably 2 All-ACC players in the past two decades, Dearica Hamby and Spears. They pretty much are never gonna win anything ever. The Deacs spent time and effort recruiting Spears.. she turns out to be a better player than forecast... and boom... she is gone before she graduates and heads off to the sunny orange skies of eastern Tennessee.

I had plans on introducing my girlfriend to the great joys of ACC WBB by taking her to a Wake game next season. I don't wanna go if they are gonna get beat by 40 points. :oops:
I'm with you, @triaddukefan: I thought first-year coach Megan Gabbia had done a wizardly job with what she had (remember, she was brought on board late in the offseason) to coax a 17-17 season out of the Demon Deacs. During the team's mini-run in the ACC playoffs, Jewell Spear looked excited in post-game interviews and the team looked and acted pysched on-court and off.
Olivia Summel left first (to Va. Tech, of all places...ouch! -- I'm the father of a Demon Deac alum so I know how that plays.)
Maybe Spear wondered if it was going to be hard to even improve on a .500 record while prepping for the WNBA?
In any case, she's a junior...maybe she got her degree from WF, which is a fine school.

That's the bad news. OK news is that Kaia Harrison and Alexandra Scruggs, who both averaged around 6 ppg, will come back for grad years, so there's experience there.

The good news is that Gabbia posted a Top-25 Hoopgurlz recruiting class, with 6'1" wing Madisyn Jordan from Morrisville, NC; Makaela Quimby, a 5'9" guard from a very good McDonough School team in Maryland; and Kylie Theirkauf, a 5'9"shooting guard from Tenafly, NJ. This kid can -- and will -- shoot it, from all places in the court.

So, while I wish Spear and Quimby would've stuck around, that seems to be the new reality of WCBB. However, Gabbia built a really solid program at American and she knows how to find players. Let's hope these do well and you can still bring your girlfriend to meet maybe 200 DD faithful and hit some of the better eateries in Winston-Salem. Keep the Deac faith.

Reaction Score
I think it’s more of she’s committed now that morrow isnt coming.
This makes more sense as she is a great backup for Cardoza. Personally Feagin was the #4 player in the country coming out of high school and needs to play now in order for us not to lose her. Also she is 6'4 which is prototypical post height and though Morrow is a proven rebounder/scorer, she is undersized at her position which may "could" be more of a liabilthy in a league like the SEC. Everyone usually ends up where they needed to be.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mental note for Dawn--get potential transfers on campus before they visit Kim and LSU. Second year in a row a top transfer was planning to visit SC but canceled due to committing to LSU the weekend prior.

Reaction Score

Interesting approach as part her announcement campaign. Assuming this is her first NIL deal.

Reaction Score
Happy Morrow got paid for that NIL deal, but didn’t LSU have to kinda sorta apologize for Olivia Dunne promoting that AI company given the implications for cheating on homework?

Reaction Score
Happy Morrow got paid for that NIL deal, but didn’t LSU have to kinda sorta apologize for Olivia Dunne promoting that AI company given the implications for cheating on homework?

No idea. Speculation on my end but this deal could have been in the works regardless of LSU. Morrow had a fair bit of material appearing on social media before she made her decision.

I've never heard the story about Olivia Dunne or any issues with LSU and this company. Can't answer that question.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't apologize. For all she knows...people wrote a love letter using the technology. People do good and bad things with technology...doesn't make the product bad.

Reaction Score

Thank you. Wow. I can see why there could be an issue. Not a clear cut issue though.

Reaction Score
Mental note for Dawn--get potential transfers on campus before they visit Kim and LSU. Second year in a row a top transfer was planning to visit SC but canceled due to committing to LSU the weekend prior.

They go where the playing time is, I suppose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom