OT: - 2023 Masters | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: 2023 Masters

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wonder how much Brooks would have to give back if he decided to rejoin PGA?

I have no doubt PGA would take him back.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much Brooks would have to give back if he decided to rejoin PGA?

I have no doubt PGA would take him back.
Reports are 3x to 4x their signing bonus (so $300-400M for Brooks. I had seen some question about whether that would be upheld in court, but I doubt anyone will be the person to try to set that precedent.

If LIV folds in a few years, which feels like a pretty strong possibility if they can’t flip some more mega names, will be interesting to see what happens then.

Reaction Score
Reports are 3x to 4x their signing bonus (so $300-400M for Brooks. I had seen some question about whether that would be upheld in court, but I doubt anyone will be the person to try to set that precedent.

If LIV folds in a few years, which feels like a pretty strong possibility if they can’t flip some more mega names, will be interesting to see what happens then.

LIV / PGA debate aside, the worst outcome in all of this is the fact that we will only get to see the best players playing against eachother 4 times per year and the Ryder Cup will also
not feature the best players from Europe or USA.

Reaction Score
LIV / PGA debate aside, the worst outcome in all of this is the fact that we will only get to see the best players playing against eachother 4 times per year and the Ryder Cup will also
Agreed, two watered down products is good for no one long term in a sport that already has aging viewership. There’s a reason almost every top sports league is a monopoly.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
LIV doesn’t have the “best” players. Most of the LIV guys couldn’t sniff a top 20 on the PGA. I said most…before you lose your mind and remind me that 3 guys played well last weekend. Let’s see what those bums do at the US Open before we say they can still compete.

Reaction Score
Think about it.

The ABA pushed the NBA. It was fresher, newer, more hip and it stole some big names for a short period of time. Same with the USFL. Don't forget, that league had Herschel Walker and Steve Young in it.

While the Masters is great, nostalgic and nice to feel like it's 1952 for a weekend....the PGA in total needs to get into the future with a social media presence and new, fresh coat of paint slapped on it. They'll learn what they need to do and eventually give in on enough to bring everything back to one league.

Reaction Score
Think about it.

The ABA pushed the NBA. It was fresher, newer, more hip and it stole some big names for a short period of time. Same with the USFL. Don't forget, that league had Herschel Walker and Steve Young in it.

While the Masters is great, nostalgic and nice to feel like it's 1952 for a weekend....the PGA in total needs to get into the future with a social media presence and new, fresh coat of paint slapped on it. They'll learn what they need to do and eventually give in on enough to bring everything back to one league.
You’re very right that the PGA needed a kick in the pants to modernize and LIV promised that, but what a flop it’s been at delivering. The only benefit so far is it forced the PGA to finally do what everyone has been asking for in bringing all the top names together more often. Social media, broadcast, format, everything else that LIV had a chance to really do something cool with has been a total flop.

Reaction Score
And yet LIV has 3 in the top 4 and ties, including a guy over 50. Not such a strong showing for PGA. Just saying.
They paid big money for good golfers, so having 3 experienced guys play well is not really a surprise. Augusta is a bit out an outlier as experience matters more here than any other major.

I’d be surprised if anyone outside of Brooks, Cam Smith or Reed play well rest of the majors. I think Reed needs to win a major this year or he may be in danger of an exemption for 3/4 majors going forward.

Was pulling hard for Rahmbo, but having Liv guys there made it interesting.

Hope the Liv guys don’t win anything and go back to anonymity for all but 4 weeks

Reaction Score
LIV doesn’t have the “best” players. Most of the LIV guys couldn’t sniff a top 20 on the PGA. I said most…before you lose your mind and remind me that 3 guys played well last weekend. Let’s see what those bums do at the US Open before we say they can still compete.

Dude, lol, where did I say that LIV has the best players? Seriously …. good grief. Read much ?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Dude, lol, where did I say that LIV has the best players? Seriously …. good grief. Read much ?
You literally said “we will only be able to see the best players playing against each other 4 times a year.”

Reaction Score
You literally said “we will only be able to see the best players playing against each other 4 times a year.”

I’m well aware of what I said. Now, please show me where I said the LIV tour has the best players.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m well aware of what I said. Now, please show me where I said the LIV tour has the best players.
Well LIV does have 8 of the top 20 from the final 2021 FedEx Cup standings. Which didn't include Phil or Brooks. So I don't know what XL.considers a top player.

Reaction Score
It was implied in your statement. Anyone reading that would infer that. Thank you for clarifying.

Again, please show me where I said LIV has the best players.

I disagree strongly that my post implied LIV had better players than the PGA and that anyone reading my post would infer same (as of right now, you are the only one who interpreted my post this way).

To be perfectly clear as to not easily confuse, I said, "the worst outcome in all of this is the fact that we will only get to see the best players playing against each other 4 times per year and the Ryder Cup will also not feature the best players from Europe or USA." Best players would mean best players -- regardless of tour. In absolutely no way shape or form did I opine in any way as to the comparative strength of LIV vs the PGA. My post also opened up with "LIV / PGA debate aside."

Reaction Score

I disagree strongly that my post implied LIV had better players than the PGA and that anyone reading my post would infer same (as of right now, you are the only one who interpreted my post this way).

To be perfectly clear as to not easily confuse, I said, "the worst outcome in all of this is the fact that we will only get to see the best players playing against each other 4 times per year and the Ryder Cup will also not feature the best players from Europe or USA." Best players would mean best players -- regardless of tour. In absolutely no way shape or form did I opine in any way as to the comparative strength of LIV vs the PGA. My post also opened up with "LIV / PGA debate aside."
This is how I read your post.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

Thanks for the novel. It also must be nice to have a cheerleader backing you up.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You have a much grander view of how invested the two of us are in this meaningless message board squabble. Just move on. You both understand each other now.
I have tapped out. You guys showed me. On to the next internet squabble.

Reaction Score
Well, that’s what I asked about. I don’t know if they donate to anyone, do you?

If churches can be tax exempt, golf should be.
They donate $1MM to each club that hosts one of their events. The club then decides on the charity(ies) to receive the funds.

Reaction Score
Think about it.

The extra competition of LIV has already resulted in major changes in the PGA tour. Purses are much greater at all tournaments and especially great at key ones. The PGA tour is more tiered but less competitive as many former players are now at LIV. If I were a Corn-player I'd delight in thinking my turn on the tour might come earlier and with bigger purses. Remember, if I were a more marginal PGA player, making the cut means a much better living than before and against less competition. What's wrong with that???
The team concept of the LIV tour is an opening trial for rebranding of the current teams into city, regional or country names that might be packaged into shares sold to the public such as what Green Bay has done in football. Team drafts could happen much like in the top professional sports. LIV golf is much more than what we currently see. The key is if they can grow the current concept. The jury is out on that.

I do agree that the current tax-exempt status of these tours is not necessary. These are big boys with a bevy of lawyers and financial type running the backrooms. Why do they have to have it????

Reaction Score
They donate $1MM to each club that hosts one of their events. The club then decides on the charity(ies) to receive the funds.
Brooks, Phil and Reed all played very well. The rain kind of mucked everything up. But give Rahm credit, he earned it.

How does Spieth get in the top five every year? Every time they show him he is hitting the ball into the water or behind a tree. It's amazing.
Yeah like trying to cover the water on 13 in the first round. He was in pine straw after the tee shot. Ended up with a double bogey.
There is a term now for his play. It's called "The Jordan Spieth Experience".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom