2023 LSU Offseason Thread | The Boneyard

2023 LSU Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thought I'd get a thread going for the current champs. They'll likely be a top team next year and appear to be in the mix for a number of high profile transfers. Looking at the roster for next year, my guess for lineup will be:

Projected Starting Lineup:
C-Angel Reese, Jr
F-Sa'Myah Smith, So
G-Flaujae Johnson, So
G-Mikaylah Williams, Fr (#2 recruit)
G-Kateri Poole, Jr

Returning Bench:
Last Tear Poa, Jr (G)
Amani Bartlett, Jr (F)
Alisa Williams, So (F)
Izzy Besselman, So (G)

Other Recruits:
Aalyah Del Rosario, #7 recruit
Angelica Velez, #44 recruit
Janae Kent, #73 recruit

Notable Departures:
Alexis Morris (15 ppg)
LaDazhia Williams (10 ppg)
Jasmine Carson (9 ppg)

Their starting 5 alone is easily a top 5 team going into next year. Angel Reese is one of the best players in the country, Smith consistently played well in minutes off the bench, Flaujae was one of the best freshmen in the nation last year, Williams is the #2 recruit who should be capable of filling the go-to role that Morris filled, and Poole isn't spectacular but did her role well and knocks down open shots.

The big question is which transfers will end up at LSU? Right now the Tigers are rumored to be linked to Hailey Van Lith, Endyia Rogers, Aneesah Morrow and Ashley Owusu. All of these players would likely start from the get go, pushing Poole or Williams to the bench. How their presence affects team chemistry is a major question, but each of those players could significantly help LSU's repeat chances.

Reaction Score
I don’t see a freshman being able to fill in the role of Morris, that seriously undersells her role in the team last year. She was their go to player in crunch time and willed them to multiple victories through her midrange game and late game 3pt shooting. Crazy talk imo.

I could see a transfer like Hailey Van Lith or Owusu helping bridge that gap though.

Reaction Score
Michael Scott Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
I agree. Definitely WTE top 5. Reese is indeed one of the best players in D1. I also really like the way Poole came along last season. I wouldn’t have guessed how good she become at the beginning. Kim is just a pg and a 5 away from being simply a dominant NC contender.

Could Hailey Van Lith be that pg? That would be interesting to watch. I don’t think Morrow is the needed big, though she’d add a good deal of punch to the team. Maybe Lauren Ware?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I want Reese this off-season, working on her mid-range to 3 point range jumper. She would be even harder to guard if she added that to her skill set.

Reaction Score
Thought I'd get a thread going for the current champs. They'll likely be a top team next year and appear to be in the mix for a number of high profile transfers. Looking at the roster for next year, my guess for lineup will be:

C-Angel Reese, Jr
F-Sa'Myah Smith, So
G-Flaujae Johnson, So
G-Kateri Poole, Jr

Returning Bench:
Last Tear Poa, Jr (G)
Amani Bartlett, Jr (F)
Alisa Williams, So (F)
Izzy Besselman, So (G)

Other Recruits:
Janae Kent, #73 recruit

Notable Departures:
Alexis Morris (15 ppg)
Jasmine Carson (9 ppg)

Their starting 5 alone is easily a top 5 team going into next year. Angel Reese is one of the best players in the country, Smith consistently played well in minutes off the bench, Flaujae was one of the best freshmen in the nation last year, Williams is the #2 recruit who should be capable of filling the go-to role that Morris filled, and Poole isn't spectacular but did her role well and knocks down open shots.

The big question is which transfers will end up at LSU? Right now the Tigers are rumored to be linked to Hailey Van Lith, Endyia Rogers, Aneesah Morrow and Ashley Owusu. All of these players would likely start from the get go, pushing Poole or Williams to the bench. How their presence affects team chemistry is a major question, but each of those players could significantly help LSU's repeat chances.
Chemistry would have to be a major consideration for Kim when adding transfers. With the portal, talented returning players and top freshmen are not going to be willing to sit on the bench and wait for their turn. Kim did not give freshmen a huge amount of playing time at Baylor but times have changed. With the portal most players who aren’t getting playing time will leave. This will be a problem for very talented rosters,

Reaction Score
I want Reese this off-season, working on her mid-range to 3 point range jumper. She would be even harder to guard if she added that to her skill set.
She’s tried to do that every year but nothing has worked.

Reaction Score
I don’t see a freshman being able to fill in the role of Morris, that seriously undersells her role in the team last year. She was their go to player in crunch time and willed them to multiple victories through her midrange game and late game 3pt shooting. Crazy talk imo.

I could see a transfer like Hailey Van Lith or Owusu helping bridge that gap though.
It doesn't undersell Morris role. Williams and Morris has similar skill sets. Minus Morris being jet quick. But shot creating in the midrange is a glaring strength that Williams have. Which is similar to Morris.

We still need a point guard though. Morris was great when she played off guard. Which is what Williams will be.

Which is also important to note that the way Kim Mulkey runs her offense. Players like Morris, Williams... Etc will always play a huge role in it.

Plus looking at our roster.. right now.... Williams will have no choice but to come in and play a huge role.

Reaction Score
Kiki Rice started right away at a major program and shared pg/sg duties with Osborne. I suspect Williams will be capable of something similar.

Reaction Score
Kiki Rice started right away at a major program and shared pg/sg duties with Osborne. I suspect Williams will be capable of something similar.
I'm sure she can have a Kiki Rice impact but Alexis Morris had a bigger impact on her team than KiKi Rice did despite similar statistical output. It's the leadership, dribble penetration and big shot making ability that I think they will miss most from Morris and a freshman isn't going to provide that. A seasoned transfer certainly would though and there are plenty of those types of players currently in the portal.

Reaction Score
I'm sure she can have a Kiki Rice impact but Alexis Morris had a bigger impact on her team than KiKi Rice did despite similar statistical output. It's the leadership, dribble penetration and big shot making ability that I think they will miss most from Morris and a freshman isn't going to provide that. A seasoned transfer certainly would though and there are plenty of those types of players currently in the portal.
Van Lith will be on campus tomorrow. Some are hinting she already gave a verbal. If true (will have to actually see the press release, I think that helps a lot) and not put too much pressure on Williams coming in. While Flaujae took her lumps at times on offense, I expect she will be even better for all the experience she had last season and be able to provide a bigger role in crunch time but for a freshmen she had a great season

I expect Williams to do very well next year. She may take some lumps but I think she will do fine. They will put her in a role where she can be successful

Last edited:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score

C-Angel Reese, Jr
F-Sa'Myah Smith, So
G-Flaujae Johnson, So
G-Kateri Poole, Jr

Returning Bench:
Last Tear Poa, Jr (G)
Amani Bartlett, Jr (F)
Alisa Williams, So (F)
Izzy Besselman, So (G)

Other Recruits:
Janae Kent, #73 recruit

Notable Departures:
Alexis Morris (15 ppg)
Jasmine Carson (9 ppg)

Williams will need to show she can defend before Mulkey puts her in as a starter!

Reaction Score
Williams will need to show she can defend before Mulkey puts her in as a starter!
While I agree with you I think Williams will do fine

I know LSU had not much depth last year, but Flaujae started and Jasmine Carson. If Carson started… Williams will no doubt probably unless Kim gets 2 highly rated guards from the portal.

LSUAlum96

Loooooong Time Lady Tigers Fan
Reaction Score

I know LSU had not much depth last year, but Flaujae started and Jasmine Carson. If Carson started… Williams will no doubt probably unless Kim gets 2 highly rated guards from the portal.
Van Lith is on campus today.................................

Van Lith Visit to LSU

So, it appears we'll know something soon. If Kim can pull this off, it puts LSU right there at the top of the preseason rankings with UConn. Still need to pick up some veteran help in the post though, so I'm eager to see who else they pick up in the next week or so.

I think with Van Lith you're looking at a starting lineup of.................

PG - Van Lith
SG - Johnson
SG - Williams
F - Reese
F - Smith (or veteran post from the portal)

That's a VERY formidable starting five;)

Reaction Score

Perfect situation for Hailey Van Lith, a great inside presence in Reese.

LSUAlum96

Loooooong Time Lady Tigers Fan
Reaction Score
Morrow released her top three this morning.................................

USC
LSU
South Carolina

Geaux Tigers!

Reaction Score
I hate the waiting game for Hailey Van Lith but I also remember we got transfers last spring but LSU sat on them for weeks and announced them pretty close together outside of Reese (who waited a week later to announce on her birthday)

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I hate the waiting game for Hailey Van Lith but I also remember we got transfers last spring but LSU sat on them for weeks and announced them pretty close together outside of Reese (who waited a week later to announce on her birthday)
I hateeeeeee waiting.

Reaction Score
As impressive as A Reese was to land I was as impressed with her ability to sign role players to fill in the gaps.

Reaction Score
As impressive as A Reese was to land I was as impressed with her ability to sign role players to fill in the gaps.
Yeah it was really a great overall transfer class. It wasn't some super team either. Besides Reese obviously, Poole, Ladazhia, and Carson were not mega stars at their former programs and had greatly reduced roles. They all complimented each other really well. Poole provided great defense, toughness and ability to hit the open 3. Carson was an offensive spark plug from 3, she went ice cold the last part of the year but shot it well when it counted most. Ladazhia is just really solid post presence that complimented Reese well.

The funniest part about the NC game is, LSU's bench scoring was ranked in the 220's in all of NCAA but put up 25+ points in the first half while three starters went out in foul trouble. The bench won the game, the lead got extended from like 6 to 17 while that group was in there the entire 2nd quarter.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
It's the Mulkey way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99