2022 UConn Football Commit - Cale Millen (Snoqualmie, Washington) | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Cale Millen (Snoqualmie, Washington)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m excited about this but curious why he didn’t play more at NAU. He seems to be very talented and a huge addition to our QB room.

Reaction Score
I’m excited about this but curious why he didn’t play more at NAU. He seems to be very talented and a huge addition to our QB room.

I love these questions. You can assume with 99% certainty that he didn’t play more at NAU because the coach believed that playing someone else gave his team a better chance of winning.

Reaction Score
They must have their own version of Zergiotis.
Their #1 QB did put up pretty good stats, I will say. However, the 3 players ahead of him were all freshman which is a little concerning to me. But I will take the #14 pocket passer out of highschool any day of the week. Important to note as a freshman at Oregon, he did have season ending shoulder surgery, so could be that he has just been trying to knock the rust off a bit.
1639663920864.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Look, we are not going to get a portal QB that has actual starts in FBS. Frankly, we probably can't get an FCS QB to portal here that has good FCS film. Of course you keep trying, but the odds are low until this program shows something on the field. We have to show we are a place where portal kids can find success.

So in the realm of portal QBs that we have a shot at (ie the ones that dont have D1 game film yet), a recruit like Cale is a homerun. There is a ton to like here; 6'4'' frame, dominated high school ball, son of a QB, already two years into his collegiate experience with three to go.

This is certainly the best QB prospect we have manage to land in a decade or more. Lets make sure he lands on campus in January. We got to get that spring practice going.

Cale = hope in a very big way. And this is a great opportunity for him. He should have a clear shot to lead this team next fall and start making some film. This gives us a chance.

Reaction Score
Look, we are not going to get a portal QB that has actual starts in FBS. Frankly, we probably can't get an FCS QB to portal here that has good FCS film. Of course you keep trying, but the odds are low until this program shows something on the field. We have to show we are a place where portal kids can find success.

So in the realm of portal QBs that we have a shot at (ie the ones that dont have D1 game film yet), a recruit like Cale is a homerun. There is a ton to like here; 6'4'' frame, dominated high school ball, son of a QB, already two years into his collegiate experience with three to go.

This is certainly the best QB prospect we have manage to land in a decade or more. Lets make sure he lands on campus in January. We got to get that spring practice going.

Cale = hope in a very big way. And this is a great opportunity for him. He should have a clear shot to lead this team next fall and start making some film. This gives us a chance.
I wouldn’t call it a home run but I agree that he is probably the best we can get at this point. I would still feel better with another portal qb to add competition.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t call it a home run but I agree that he is probably the best we can get at this point. I would still feel better with another portal qb to add competition.
Compared to what this program has brought in for a decade it’s a home run. For other programs this is BAU, but not for us.

Reaction Score
Compared to what this program has brought in for a decade it’s a home run. For other programs this is BAU, but not for us.
Just don’t see it that way - I will say if you are going to roll dice on a player Millen is not a bad gamble. Three years to play is a bonus. I just think we need another QB from portal to add to competition - preferably one that has had success when called upon at the FBS or FCS level.

As Biz has said stats mean nothing once you get to college. You are either good at the level you are playing or you are not. We have had some transfers that were highly rated in high school that contributed little here. Conversely we had some unrated players that played in the NFL.

We can all agree that this program desperately needs a competent, productive quarterback.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just don’t see it that way - I will say if you are going to roll dice on a player Millen is not a bad gamble. Three years to play is a bonus. I just think we need another QB from portal to add to competition - preferably one that has had success when called upon at the FBS or FCS level.

As Biz has said stats mean nothing once you get to college. You are either good at the level you are playing or you are not. We have had some transfers that were highly rated in high school that contributed little here. Conversely we had some unrated players that played in the NFL.

We can all agree that this program desperately needs a competent, productive quarterback.
And all I am saying is this is the best QB recruit we have had since we were in the big east. That’s is something we should be excited about. I am.

As for landing a portal QB that has actual starts in D1, well Edsall couldn’t get it done and Mora so far is finding it’s not easy either. Maybe Mora has some magic planned for January- I’d welcome it.

Will we pull in another QB recruit- yeah it would be foolish not too.

Reaction Score
And all I am saying is this is the best QB recruit we have had since we were in the big east. That’s is something we should be excited about. I am.

As for landing a portal QB that has actual starts in D1, well Edsall couldn’t get it done and Mora so far is finding it’s not easy either. Maybe Mora has some magic planned for January- I’d welcome it.

Will we pull in another QB recruit- yeah it would be foolish not too.
Wonder if our OL plays a factor in those decisions.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the transfer rules from FCS? This would be his second transfer this year and I wonder if he can play immediately or has to sit.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

It feels like you are undervaluing the open QB position at UConn a bit. There are a lot of quarterbacks looking for a chance to start and there are only so many positions available. MAC schools find quality starting quarterbacks, so why can't a Mora led UConn team? Mora coached Michael Vick...doesn't that carry some weight?

In regards to Millen, I am hopeful....but there are multiple concerns here..

- Mora specifically said a player who transfers more than once raises a red flag. Yet..here we are.

- you would think Millen agreed to go to NAU because he thought he could start..that didn't happen....why?

- Mora said he wanted dual threat quarterbacks....from what I have read Millen is pro style.

This may work out well...or maybe there is another QB on the way..but I don't agree that the UConn job isn't attractive enough to attract a decent starting quarterback.

Reaction Score

I think most of that is right.

But putting this is a historic view as you have, I have to mention the guys picking the QB as a huge problem. We need competence in the guy making the decision who to play. Who looks at at Jack Zergiotis, Puma and Krajewski and then picks the least accurate and the only one who can't run? It borders on insanity. And it goes far beyond bad decision making. You rarely see UConn QBs making big strides. The playbook is banal. It is a pile of yuck.

So while I wish young Mr. Millen (and Steven Krajewski and Puma) and anyone else walking into the QB room all the luck in the world, but they are half the battle. Mora and Chalton are the people who will ultimately make the difference. Without them performing at a high level, none of the kids has a chance.

Reaction Score
It feels like you are undervaluing the open QB position at UConn a bit. There are a lot of quarterbacks looking for a chance to start and there are only so many positions available. MAC schools find quality starting quarterbacks, so why can't a Mora led UConn team? Mora coached Michael Vick...doesn't that carry some weight?

In regards to Millen, I am hopeful....but there are multiple concerns here..

- Mora specifically said a player who transfers more than once raises a red flag. Yet..here we are.

- you would think Millen agreed to go to NAU because he thought he could start..that didn't happen....why?

- Mora said he wanted dual threat quarterbacks....from what I have read Millen is pro style.

This may work out well...or maybe there is another QB on the way..but I don't agree that the UConn job isn't attractive enough to attract a decent starting quarterback.
You are aware that he missed his entire freshman year at Oregon due to a shoulder injury. He is a pro-style qb but has decent speed and strength to elude pass rushers. Somewhat like Krajewski in that regard.

Reaction Score
So we now have a QB room of three? PUMA, Steven Krajewski, Cale Millen. We obviously need two more QB recruits in 2022.
HCJM indirectly referenced importance of spreading QB scholarships across class standing (RedFr - RedSr), so minimally +1 portal/grad transfer and +1 Frosh QB (so 2 Frosh with Tyler Phommachanh with undetermined rehab/availability). ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom