2022 UConn Football Commit - Cale Millen (Snoqualmie, Washington) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Cale Millen (Snoqualmie, Washington)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It feels like you are undervaluing the open QB position at UConn a bit. There are a lot of quarterbacks looking for a chance to start and there are only so many positions available. MAC schools find quality starting quarterbacks, so why can't a Mora led UConn team? Mora coached Michael Vick...doesn't that carry some weight?
Can we name the last QB UConn brought in that had D1 starts under his belt? Again, of course you keep trying, but history has demonstrated that battle tested QBs prefer other options and that's necessarily a conf thing either. Just weeks ago we pursued Nolan Henderson with 24 games in FCS and he opted to return back to Delaware.

I'm all in for aiming high. But I am also all in for taking in anything that looks good. Cale looks pretty good, better than any HS recruit we have landed since....... really since who? Danny O?

Maybe after fall 2022 when the world can see the revamp UConn offense we will have a real shot at experienced QB transfers.

I'm not so sure people have really pondered just how frail our QB recruiting situation has been for a very long time.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I love these questions. You can assume with 99% certainty that he didn’t play more at NAU because the coach believed that playing someone else gave his team a better chance of winning.
Like Randy Edsall decided Zergiotis was the better bet, if you get my drift.

Reaction Score
Their #1 QB did put up pretty good stats, I will say. However, the 3 players ahead of him were all freshman which is a little concerning to me. But I will take the #14 pocket passer out of highschool any day of the week. Important to note as a freshman at Oregon, he did have season ending shoulder surgery, so could be that he has just been trying to knock the rust off a bit.
View attachment 71884
Texas native RJ Martinez was the Big Sky Freshman of the Year.

Reaction Score
I saw that this morning when I woke up. It was "#1 in my news headline. I thought we will get a son of a NFL QB, but wrong QB son. Welcome aboard, Cale...

Reaction Score
It's a high upside recruit with ties to Mora. You can't hate it

Would still like to find a freshman for the class. We need to get to the point where we are starting Juniors and Sr at QB who have been in the system for 2-3 years. Hopefully having a real OC that knows QBs will help

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love these questions. You can assume with 99% certainty that he didn’t play more at NAU because the coach believed that playing someone else gave his team a better chance of winning.
I think when healthy, Tyler Phommachanh is the starter, but Millen is immediately penciled in at QB2, upon arrival, with a chance for significant playing time.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just noticed the mention that the starter at NAU is a freshman who was league Fr of the year. So a young kid looks at the lay of the land and moves on again, especially when transferring is so easy. QB is a tough position if someone is ahead of you. He could be in the same boat here for all we know. People were salivating over Tyler. I thought his passing sample was too small to conclude anything, but he does change the nature of the offense. So Millen might be glued to the bench with UConn.

Reaction Score

“Millen has good size and pocket mobility and isn’t afraid to tuck and run. Can shed tackles because of his size and strength. Plus arm-strength, with good pocket mechanics and throwing motion. Can change throwing motions and make all throws, and is at his best on shorter and intermediate routes. When off-platform, decision making can be spotty and will float passes instead of throwing ball away. Improved in his reads and progressions. Projects as a potential multi-year Power 5 starter and an early third-day NFL draft pick.”

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Honestly, when was the last time any UConn QB was glued to the bench? Sooner or later, they all get in.
Do I really have to research? I guarantee that if QB x is doing the job and isn’t injured, QB y will be glued to the bench. You’re just conditioned to a string of mediocre and worse QBs. Orlovsky didn’t see much pine time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Very glad to have him here. Hopefully all our QBs will be given a shot to compete for the job. There is (hopefully) a new offense to learn. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which guy will win the job. Any of them could. I can make a guess that all of them would fail if our line play doesn't improve. It's wild to think people are projecting the starter when we don't know what the team is going to run as an offense. I don't think we are going to look like Navy. Probably not like Texas Tech either.

Reaction Score
You don't know what you are gonna get with Tyler Phommachanh ... or when. He might not be in great shape by August or into the September games. This kid Millen competes with Krajewski Day One. And YES ... you have another QB coming from the current rising kids out of HS. Maybe you take another if the right one comes from the Portal.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just noticed the mention that the starter at NAU is a freshman who was league Fr of the year. So a young kid looks at the lay of the land and moves on again, especially when transferring is so easy. QB is a tough position if someone is ahead of you. He could be in the same boat here for all we know. People were salivating over Tyler. I thought his passing sample was too small to conclude anything, but he does change the nature of the offense. So Millen might be glued to the bench with UConn.
Tyler may not be ready by Week 0.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You are aware that he missed his entire freshman year at Oregon due to a shoulder injury. He is a pro-style qb but has decent speed and strength to elude pass rushers. Somewhat like Krajewski in that regard.
I didn't expect him to play as a true freshman anyway at Oregon..so whether it was injury or red shirt it doesn't really matter....well other than a QB with an injured shoulder is potentially not good.

Time at Oregon and transfer from Oregon isn't concerning. It's slightly concerning that he chose Northern Arizona...I assume because he thought he could start and he didn't get the starting job. It appears he picked a school that had another very good QB. So maybe it's just circumstances.

But he is a double transfer...which Mora said is a red flag (but maybe he meant non-qbs) and he didn't start for an FCS school.

He may just need an opportunity to show his talents, but it's fair to pause before anointing him the starter. I hope he comes here and lives up to the potential he showed in high school!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That’s a whole other thing. The general point is that if the original QB is doing the job, the next guy in line is not gonna see too much time. The same could have to Tyler if he isn’t ready or the coach thinks someone else is #1.
Tyler may not be ready by Week 1

Reaction Score

“Millen has good size and pocket mobility and isn’t afraid to tuck and run. Can shed tackles because of his size and strength. Plus arm-strength, with good pocket mechanics and throwing motion. Can change throwing motions and make all throws, and is at his best on shorter and intermediate routes. When off-platform, decision making can be spotty and will float passes instead of throwing ball away. Improved in his reads and progressions. Projects as a potential multi-year Power 5 starter and an early third-day NFL draft pick.”
That is his high school scouting report.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wish I could give this both a laugh and cry emoji for that.
And all I was thinking when I posted it was the poster earlier this year lamenting that Steve K. didn't get a real chance at the job. How he was now stuck on the bench behind Tyler.

Reaction Score
That’s a whole other thing. The general point is that if the original QB is doing the job, the next guy in line is not gonna see too much time. The same could have to Tyler if he isn’t ready or the coach thinks someone else is #1.
If Z did the job Steven Krajewski would still be the underused backup and Tyler would have never seen a meaningful minute.

Reaction Score

-> Millen, 21, committed to UConn following his visit to Storrs Dec. 3-5, but held off on announcing it until Dec. 15, the first day of the NCAA’s early signing period. … “I had never been to the East Coast until that trip. I thought it was really cool. It seems like a cool town,” Millen said. “The facilities were actually really amazing. There were a few things that were actually better than Oregon’s. They’ve got everything they need.” <-

-> Millen, with three years of eligibility remaining, is hoping to enroll at UConn next month so he can participate in spring practice. If not, his arrival will have to wait until May.

Regardless, he’s excited for the fresh start. “It obviously hasn’t been working out exactly the way I wanted it,” Millen said of his college career. “I’m thankful for this opportunity. This will be the last stop. Hopefully we can make it happen.” <-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom