Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would also take a high scoring close game regardless of the winner. Both teams having to use lots of top level pitchers is what UConn really wants. It seems to have started down that path with being 2-2 in the top of the 2nd.

Reaction Score
So wait can someone explain why we don’t know the channel of the game yet tonight?

Reaction Score
So wait can someone explain why we don’t know the channel of the game yet tonight?
They will announce TV when the early games are over. I bet we’ll be on one of ESPN’s. Not ESPN +

Reaction Score
They will announce TV when the early games are over. I bet we’ll be on one of ESPN’s. Not ESPN +
Unless something changes w/ other 7p game match-ups - in all likelihood it’s on ESPN+ (College Park Regional is Site 15).

1654453881474.png

Reaction Score
You just have to hold out one of them. Not both.
Yea you only have to do one. I like doing two if it makes sense in the flow of tonight’s game because then you have both to get you 7-8 innings tomorrow with willis to close it out.

Reaction Score
Kinda thinking I want Wake to beat MD. Maryland would have the home field crowd to pump them up.
fwiw, the announcers seem to think Wake has more in the tank pitching wise because they haven’t yet thrown their #3, who apparently is very good, while Maryland will have gone through their top 3.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yea you only have to do one. I like doing two if it makes sense in the flow of tonight’s game because then you have both to get you 7-8 innings tomorrow with willis to close it out.
FWIW we may also (only if necessary) get an inning each out of Peterson and Gallagher tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is only for travelling home, but.....

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
fwiw, the announcers seem to think Wake has more in the tank pitching wise because they haven’t yet thrown their #3, who apparently is very good, while Maryland will have gone through their top 3.
@dvegas

We need a quick scouting report on Wake's pitching staff (primarily the starters who haven't thrown yet).

Reaction Score
FWIW we may also (only if necessary) get an inning each out of Peterson and Gallagher tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is only for travelling home, but.....
They both threw 100 pitches Friday and Saturday (roughly, Peterson was slightly above and Gallagher below). There's a 0% chance either one throws a pitch on Monday. That would be coaching malpractice

Reaction Score
They both threw 100 pitches Friday and Saturday (roughly, Peterson was slightly above and Gallagher below). There's a 0% chance either one throws a pitch on Monday. That would be coaching malpractice
I don’t know what college pitchers do in between starts but I know for major leaguers Monday would be the bullpen session for the guy who started friday. That is why it’s common to see a guy pitch a few bullpen innings during a game in the playoffs.

Of course those starters would then pitch Wednesday and college is a set day of the week.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. There should be a 'throw day' two days after a start. Pushing Peterson's back a day (to Monday) won't really change things and substituting a bullpen session with live action used to be somewhat standard.

For the record we did worse (if you want to label something like this as malpractice) against OSU a few years ago in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. There should be a 'throw day' two days after a start. Pushing Peterson's back a day (to Monday) won't really change things and substituting a bullpen session with live action used to be somewhat standard.

For the record we did worse (if you want to label something like this as malpractice) against OSU a few years ago in the tournament.
We absolutely did do worse a few years ago, and Penders was rightfully killed for it. Hopefully he's learned from it because it shouldn't happen again

Reaction Score
I don’t know what college pitchers do in between starts but I know for major leaguers Monday would be the bullpen session for the guy who started friday. That is why it’s common to see a guy pitch a few bullpen innings during a game in the playoffs.

Of course those starters would then pitch Wednesday and college is a set day of the week.
I'm not sure what their exact throw schedule is but I would guess it's slightly different from the pros since it's a weekly start instead of 5 days.

That's a fair point that it could be their throw day but I think there's a massive difference in the leverage between a bullpen session and a high leverage game 7. It's one thing when an MLB pitcher making $30M a year wants to do it but doing it with college pitchers is a different thing for me. Potentially putting their futures in jeopardy

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what their exact throw schedule is but I would guess it's slightly different from the pros since it's a weekly start instead of 5 days.

That's a fair point that it could be their throw day but I think there's a massive difference in the leverage between a bullpen session and a high leverage game 7. It's one thing when an MLB pitcher making $30M a year wants to do it but doing it with college pitchers is a different thing for me. Potentially putting their futures in jeopardy

Penders also to my knowledge has never had a guy throw ~100 pitches in a regional start then pitch again in the same regional. He'll lean on his bullpen guys heavily but if he wanted to get more out of Peterson or Gallagher he would've pulled them early like he did with Nappo in 2011. Someone like Willis though he might potentially ride until the wheels fall off. Hopefully not.

Reaction Score
Not anywhere near the same scenario as 2 years ago. Staff was short with Feole getting knocked out early in game 1. Had to stretch Kersten and pen. Totally different than bringing back 2 starters after 100 pitches on no rest - guys who have pro futures. Team was so short on starters - Jimmy Wang started in that regional. Nothing remotely near malpractice. I’d be stunned to see Petersen, Gallagher won’t even walk out to the pen.

Reaction Score
Wake reliever starts with 5 straight balls then a mound visit. Their closer is starting to warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom