Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

-> After UConn learned about its regional destination, Penders immediately texted his father, Jim. His father had a scary experience playing for UConn in College Park that impacted the Penders family.

"My father almost died on that field," Penders said. "In 1963, he got hit in the head. He got the last rites at Prince George's County Hospital. He had to learn to talk and read all over again. He came back two years later to be the captain of the UConn baseball team with his brother (Tom).

"His brother wound up here (at UConn) because of that incident, because he committed to Duquesne to play basketball and his mom said, 'No, you're going to go to UConn to take care of your brother because he's going to need help just surviving.'

"... So, he took care of him. And they got to play together on that 1965 College World Series team. So, the second I saw it come up, I texted the old man and said, "You better be coming. You've got to come back, you don't remember much the last time you were there.' I'm excited to get back for personal reasons. <-

Reaction Score

-> After UConn learned about its regional destination, Penders immediately texted his father, Jim. His father had a scary experience playing for UConn in College Park that impacted the Penders family.

"My father almost died on that field," Penders said. "In 1963, he got hit in the head. He got the last rites at Prince George's County Hospital. He had to learn to talk and read all over again. He came back two years later to be the captain of the UConn baseball team with his brother (Tom).

"His brother wound up here (at UConn) because of that incident, because he committed to Duquesne to play basketball and his mom said, 'No, you're going to go to UConn to take care of your brother because he's going to need help just surviving.'

"... So, he took care of him. And they got to play together on that 1965 College World Series team. So, the second I saw it come up, I texted the old man and said, "You better be coming. You've got to come back, you don't remember much the last time you were there.' I'm excited to get back for personal reasons. <-

It may not be his regular beat, but every year Gavin Keefe continues to quietly produce solid articles/stories pertaining to local college baseball and the local college summer baseball leagues. Love reading his stuff.

Reaction Score

College Park Regional​

1. Maryland (No. 15)
  2. Wake Forest
  3. Connecticut
  4. Long Island
Maryland won a program-record 45 games and is hosting a regional for the first time in program history. The Terps rank third nationally with 123 home runs. … Wake Forest is one spot behind Maryland with 115 home runs. The Demon Deacons, in the field for the first time since 2017, are hitting .319 as a team and lead the ACC with 539 runs scored. … UConn enters the regional with 46 wins (second-most in program history), including 26 away from home. Sophomore outfielder Korey Morton has been limited to 34 games due to injury but is hitting .442 and slugging .726. … Long Island, in the field for the third time, played only one game in 2022 against a team that earned a spot in a regional — a 7-2 loss at Army on May. 3.

Predicted winner: UConn

Reaction Score

College Park Regional

1. Maryland (No. 15)
  2. Wake Forest
  3. Connecticut
  4. Long Island
Maryland won a program-record 45 games and is hosting a regional for the first time in program history. The Terps rank third nationally with 123 home runs. … Wake Forest is one spot behind Maryland with 115 home runs. The Demon Deacons, in the field for the first time since 2017, are hitting .319 as a team and lead the ACC with 539 runs scored. … UConn enters the regional with 46 wins (second-most in program history), including 26 away from home. Sophomore outfielder Korey Morton has been limited to 34 games due to injury but is hitting .442 and slugging .726. … Long Island, in the field for the third time, played only one game in 2022 against a team that earned a spot in a regional — a 7-2 loss at Army on May. 3.

Some love from The Athletic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

College Park Regional

1. Maryland (No. 15)
  2. Wake Forest
  3. Connecticut
  4. Long Island

Some love from The Athletic.
That surprised me, given how baseball in general tends to discount the northeast. Still, The Athletic loves UConn. There is a ton of UConn content on there.

The College Park regional is tough and I expect the games with Wake Forest and/or Maryland to be challenging.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> Starting off: UConn will go with ace Austin Peterson against Wake Forest. The 6-foot-6, 234-pound righthander from Indiana went 10-2 with a 3.22 ERA and 129 strikeouts in 100.2 innings pitched this season. He was recently named a Second Team All-American.

-> Local ties: Penders noted that UConn has bumped up against all three of the other teams in the region in recruiting in recent years, and sure enough, several Connecticut products should feature prominently in the regional.

Fairfield’s Reed Mascolo, a redshirt sophomore, posted a 5.40 ERA in 20 appearances (seven starts) for Wake Forest this season.

Meanwhile, Maryland boasts three Connecticut natives who are key players on its roster: Luke Shliger, a sophomore catcher from Danbury who is third on the Terrapins in hitting at .345, to go with 10 homers and 53 RBI; Nick Lorusso, a junior infielder/pitcher from Monroe who’s hitting .319 with 14 homers and 63 RBI and has also made 10 appearances out of the Terps’ bullpen; and Stamford’s Bobby Zmarzlack, a junior outfielder who’s hitting .290 with 14 homers and 40 RBI. <-

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Quick fantasy world question. In the crazy off chance that UC Santa Barbara pulls a huge upset and wins the Stanford regional, and we take care of business in the College Park regional...would we host the Super Regional at Elliot Ballpark as the higher ranked #3 seed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99