Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

College Park Regional

1. Maryland (No. 15)
  2. Wake Forest
  3. Connecticut
  4. Long Island
Maryland won a program-record 45 games and is hosting a regional for the first time in program history. The Terps rank third nationally with 123 home runs. … Wake Forest is one spot behind Maryland with 115 home runs. The Demon Deacons, in the field for the first time since 2017, are hitting .319 as a team and lead the ACC with 539 runs scored. … UConn enters the regional with 46 wins (second-most in program history), including 26 away from home. Sophomore outfielder Korey Morton has been limited to 34 games due to injury but is hitting .442 and slugging .726. … Long Island, in the field for the third time, played only one game in 2022 against a team that earned a spot in a regional — a 7-2 loss at Army on May. 3.

Predicted winner: UConn

Some love from The Athletic.
Bump…

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You guys want this after every game? If so, sorted alphabetically, by ERA, by total pitches…?

image001.png

Reaction Score
Sheesh I don’t know. Are you watching the game right now? That place is loud. And Stanford is #2 overall for a reason.
Nothing like Maryland crowd or what I imagine Texas State's crowd would be. They are a laid back CA crowd. Plus we have 3 or 4 kids from Cali who I'm sure will have plenty of family in the stands. We held our own earlier this year when we played out there.

Reaction Score

-> “Toughness isn’t something you see a ton of baseball anymore unfortunately. And UConn is tough,” Maryland head coach Rob Vaughn said. “That’s a tough, tough group of guys. They played hard. They made pitches in big spots. They made plays in big spots. They had tough ABs. It’s a tough team. Coach Penders and his staff do an unbelievable job.” <-

Reaction Score

-> “Toughness isn’t something you see a ton of baseball anymore unfortunately. And UConn is tough,” Maryland head coach Rob Vaughn said. “That’s a tough, tough group of guys. They played hard. They made pitches in big spots. They made plays in big spots. They had tough ABs. It’s a tough team. Coach Penders and his staff do an unbelievable job.” <-

Love the above quoted text that @huskymedic posted. Here is a bit more from the a above article that I really liked as well:

Sure, every good team has its won’t-be-defeated heartbeat, but the roster full of them has mostly become an archaic relic of a former era. One place it’s still thriving is in Storrs, Connecticut, a rural destination where it takes 20 minutes to wind your way through the woods to find the campus once you depart the closest highway. There, Jim Penders has no intention of changing the foundation of the UConn baseball program his father, uncle and he played for before Jim took over as head coach in 2004.

“It’s the culture that’s been in the program well before I got here with the four coaches since the 1930s — J.O. Christian, Larry Panciera, Andy Blaylock my former coach,” Penders said. “It was always on a strong foundation of toughness and doing things the right way and blue-collar mentality, I’m just the temporary caretaker of the program and trying to help it get a little bit better each day.”

It’s that blue-collar mentality and HookC culture that has helped Penders and his staff of Joshua MacDonald, Jeff Hourigan and Chris Podeszwa — all Connecticut alums and the longest tenured staff in Division I baseball having been together the last 11 seasons — transform a group of rejects and resurrection projects, overlooked overachievers and Northeast grinders into and the winningest team in UConn baseball history.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom