2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
hope that if we really wanted a kid from the bronx we would have beaten out Miss St. and UW they are both bad teams, altho neither was as bad as oregon st.
Granted we reached out to Curbelo after this, but never really saw the fit with Davis since he can't shoot at all

Reaction Score
I know Hurley has said that he wants at least 2 high impact transfers, but I'd temper the expectations with that. This site ranks the transfers available so far. Out of the 1,000+ players in the transfer portal they rank Diggins as the 23rd best available. That should give you some perspective on what is available and what impact they may make next year. I'm hopeful, but unfortunately not expecting the transfers to make or break the 2022-2023 season.

College Basketball Transfer Portal Rankings, 2.0: New top tier headlines updated list
There's always gonna be a wide range of opinion, EvanMiya has Diggins as the 193rd best transfer available. The reality is probably somewhere in between

Reaction Score
There's always gonna be a wide range of opinion, EvanMiya has Diggins as the 193rd best transfer available. The reality is probably somewhere in between
I'd imagine with Diggins there would be a wide range of opinions because unlike most players in the portal he hasn't had much playing time or production. So what are they basing their ranking on? His reputation coming out of high school? That's all they have to go on.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine with Diggins there would be a wide range of opinions because unlike most players in the portal he hasn't had much playing time or production. So what are they basing their ranking on? His reputation coming out of high school? That's all they have to go on.
Not just guys who didn't play, Jaiden Delaire is 8th on the 247 list and 62nd on EvanMiya. Tristen Newton is 15th and 108th. The EvanMiya is based on his advanced metrics that track player performance. But my point is really just that there are absolutely impact players in the transfer portal, I don't even know how this is arguable

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not just guys who didn't play, Jaiden Delaire is 8th on the 247 list and 62nd on EvanMiya. Tristen Newton is 15th and 108th. The EvanMiya is based on his advanced metrics that track player performance. But my point is really just that there are absolutely impact players in the transfer portal, I don't even know how this is arguable

I’m not gonna a say follow one exclusively over the other but I will personally lean more towards Evan Miya

Reaction Score
Curbelo and Andre Jackson had at least one heated battle during their final high school season. I'm inclined to think they both like the idea of sharing the court together.

This is too risky, why would we take the chance. This backcourt could be challenged to score. One guy is a 16.9% shooter from three over 2 years and the other can‘t get his own shot becuase of technique. This would be a disaster.

Reaction Score
I know Hurley has said that he wants at least 2 high impact transfers, but I'd temper the expectations with that. This site ranks the transfers available so far. Out of the 1,000+ players in the transfer portal they rank Diggins as the 23rd best available. That should give you some perspective on what is available and what impact they may make next year. I'm hopeful, but unfortunately not expecting the transfers to make or break the 2022-2023 season.

College Basketball Transfer Portal Rankings, 2.0: New top tier headlines updated list
The expectation of 2 high-impact transfers is a fair one. We currently do not have a single point guard on the roster. We also don’t have to measure “high impact” based on one guy’s opinion.

Reaction Score
When I saw Curbelo last season he was one of the best freshmen PGs in the country! He was fast, creative, could drive into spaces where others couldn't and passed really well. He really sparked his team. This season ...definitely not quite as good, was out of control much more often it seemed. Hopefully that was due to his head injury. IF SO, he would be a great playmaker to take a flyer on as he could dramatically change our offense. As was mentioned earlier, if we can bring in a solid shooter/ballhandler to pair with him, it could be an ideal backcourt!
You could have stopped with fast. God knows we needed more fast last year.

Reaction Score
Put the ball in Hawkins hands, that's our best plan for the back court.

Reaction Score
Probably the biggest frustration I've had with him to date. It's okay to be a slow-paced team. He doesn't seem to understand his own coaching style leans towards that and keeps recruiting guys like Johnson and Akok who don't fit our style of play. You can't just be all talk though. Either let them run or don't. Karaban and Floyd should fit the bill of higher skill though, thankfully.
My memory—albeit a bit faulty, perhaps—is that he absolutely played the style he's talking about at URI.

Regardless, what happened here is that he decided to keep every player on the team for culture reasons, and that set of players had little to no ability to play that style. He also got unlucky with injuries that hindered his recruits that may have more quickly changed that model. But I do think this play style is a lingering result of keeping guys from the prior regime and not recruiting with that reality.

Reaction Score
Put the ball in Hawkins hands, that's our best plan for the back court.

A three guard perimeter of Jackson, Hawkins, and Floyd could be very good. Jackson could be the primary distributor on offense and play a forward position on defense. Yes everyone needs to improve to make this work but I have little doubt they will.

What we need from the portal is one veteran back court ball handler/shooter that can contribute immediately and one younger developmental backcourt talent with a big upside. A third scholarship could go to a guard with one year left that is essentially just emergency reserve Rob Garrison type. The fourth scholarship should go to the best player we can get regardless of position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He can’t dribble though
Yup, and that certainly has a downside, I fully agree but…. If he dribbles every waking second from now until the season and puts in the work maybe just maybe. He has to handle at his size to be effective in the NBA so that’s his next step. Our only hope is for him to become the alpha and take over the offense on the team. I believe he can do it this year. We’d like him to score 20 points per game. Then he has to stay healthy all year. A lot to ask I know.

Reaction Score
Teams need actual point guards we need to stop thinking Andre is that answer he’s not. He improved on his handle and made less errors as th season went on but he’s not what we need running our team. As the occasional point it may be fine but if hes the primary we’re screwed.

Reaction Score
Yup, and that certainly has a downside, I fully agree but…. If he dribbles every waking second from now until the season and puts in the work maybe just maybe. He has to handle at his size to be effective in the NBA so that’s his next step. Our only hope is for him to become the alpha and take over the offense on the team. I believe he can do it this year. We’d like him to score 20 points per game. Then he has to stay healthy all year. A lot to ask I know.
Expectations for Hawkins are way too high. He certainly could become that player next year but it seems unlikely to me. The kid averaged 6 points a game on 35/33/82 shooting splits and was worse in conference play. Him truly breaking out as a star seems more likely Junior year.

Reaction Score
Expectations for Hawkins are way too high. He certainly could become that player next year but it seems unlikely to me. The kid averaged 6 points a game on 35/33/82 shooting splits and was worse in conference play. Him truly breaking out as a star seems more likely Junior year.
If that happens we're screwed.

Reaction Score
20 points a game that’s all?? Lol

Reaction Score
Jackson could be the primary distributor on offense and play a forward position on defense.

I hope he proves me wrong, but in a half court set his distribution will simply be moving the ball left and right from outside the 3 point point, and the occasionally dump down to Sanogo. Any defender will give him several feet space, making it harder to drive and not enough space to get his shot off.

You need someone who can drive, pass, shoot off a screen, use step back shots, or hit a pull-up. This is currently not in his skill set. Unless he rebuilds his shot and the footwork to go along with it, I don‘t him as a setup player or an offensive disruptor in the half court. Running up tempo is a completely different story.

Reaction Score
I hope he proves me wrong, but in a half court set his distribution will simply be moving the ball left and right from outside the 3 point point, and the occasionally dump down to Sanogo. Any defender will give him several feet space, making it harder to drive and not enough space to get his shot off.

You need someone who can drive, pass, shoot off a screen, use step back shots, or hit a pull-up. This is currently not in his skill set. Unless he rebuilds his shot and the footwork to go along with it, I don‘t him as a setup player or an offensive disruptor in the half court. Running up tempo is a completely different story.

Agree. Unless he completely revamps his game, I can't see Andree at PG. Playing the point would also negate one of his strengths, rebounding. I can see him in a point forward role, but at the point? No way.

Reaction Score
My memory—albeit a bit faulty, perhaps—is that he absolutely played the style he's talking about at URI.

Regardless, what happened here is that he decided to keep every player on the team for culture reasons, and that set of players had little to no ability to play that style. He also got unlucky with injuries that hindered his recruits that may have more quickly changed that model. But I do think this play style is a lingering result of keeping guys from the prior regime and not recruiting with that reality.

He had one year his team played fast at URI. He's been all talk for years. I think kids want to hear "play fast" in recruiting so he just parrots it.

Reaction Score
He had one year his team played fast at URI. He's been all talk for years. I think kids want to hear "play fast" in recruiting so he just parrots it.
8596614A-0BD5-4FA2-BABC-8820F3D0D880.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22