2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Jackson is going to be dominating the ball - I think any recruit knows this which is why we will have trouble landing a talented/top tier PG transfer.

A complimentary piece like the Ramey is not what we need. If you’ve watched Texas this year that is obvious he’s not a good fit. Pack would be the most ideal candidate.

Then you 100% need shooting all around him

Ramey at least provides that.

Plus he can’t play 40 min at the point and that also wastes his cutting ability if they never let him do that

Reaction Score
I'd roll the dice with this many spots open
I watched a lot of Illinois this year and he was unplayable. Think of a worse shooting version of Gaffney who takes way more risks and kicks the ball out of bounds all over the court, he couldn't even get the ball down low to Kofi. It makes me nervous that we are even one of the teams listed. Hoping UConn is just thrown in as a name and we aren't seriously recruiting him because the alternative would show Hurley really doesn't have a plan and he isn't serious about playing 4 out.

Reaction Score
I would be thrilled with Tristan Newton. He knows how to manufacture points by getting to the FT line. Calhoun-era Huskies would always make more FTs than the opponent takes. Makes winning easier. I would imagine his 3pt percentage would improve in a better system.

Pair him with a high AST/TO ratio PG who can stick an open shot and we're back in business.

Reaction Score
Sign me up in a heartbeat for Curbelo. I completely understand the hesitation but the kid has great vision, a great handle and actually decent form on his shot. He can knock it down around 75% from the foul line with a repeatable non-Andre looking shot and I truly believe with practice he can become a better shooter. There is simply not a better guard at breaking down a defense available in the portal. You hope and pray a lot of his issues were related to the head trauma and that he can recover from it. I deal with head trauma every day; the recovery can be long and arduous and I wouldn't discount that as a reason for his bad play this year at all

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of Illinois this year and he was unplayable. Think of a worse shooting version of Gaffney who takes way more risks and kicks the ball out of bounds all over the court, he couldn't even get the ball down low to Kofi. It makes me nervous that we are even one of the teams listed. Hoping UConn is just thrown in as a name and we aren't seriously recruiting him because the alternative would show Hurley really doesn't have a plan and he isn't serious about playing 4 out.
I mean it’s obviously a big risk, but he was really really good his freshman year. I don’t know what happened this year and obviously they would need clarity on the mental stuff, but I think as long as he isn’t being brought in as “the guy” the upside is worth the risk.

Reaction Score
I barely pay any mind to what Hurley tells the media.

He says every year that he wants to play fast and wants to play 4 out. But Hurley never brought in the requisite skill to have 4 players capable of playing on the perimeter, and even with very athletic teams hasn’t gotten his teams to play uptempo.

Until he proves he can do either, it’s all just talk in my book. Hurley to this point is a slow you down and beat you up type of coach, not one who relies on any type of offensive fluidity. It’s harder to sell that to recruits though, so I don’t expect to ever hear those words from him.

Reaction Score
When I saw Curbelo last season he was one of the best freshmen PGs in the country! He was fast, creative, could drive into spaces where others couldn't and passed really well. He really sparked his team. This season ...definitely not quite as good, was out of control much more often it seemed. Hopefully that was due to his head injury. IF SO, he would be a great playmaker to take a flyer on as he could dramatically change our offense. As was mentioned earlier, if we can bring in a solid shooter/ballhandler to pair with him, it could be an ideal backcourt!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Then you 100% need shooting all around him

Ramey at least provides that.

Plus he can’t play 40 min at the point and that also wastes his cutting ability if they never let him do that
How about 16% shooting like Curbello?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Curbelo did shoot 50% from the field as a freshman. I’d like to bring him in as the backup pg in case he can’t fix his issues, but we need guys with his skill set really bad right now. Him and newton would be ideal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Curbelo did shoot 50% from the field as a freshman. I’d like to bring him in as the backup pg in case he can’t fix his issues, but we need guys with his skill set really bad right now. Him and newton would be ideal.
Guys who start at Illinois don't transfer to be backups at UConn. I expect whoever comes in as a depth/backup PG will be from a small school, a kid looking to play at a higher level and willing to come off the bench.

Is there anybody who fits that profile?

Reaction Score
I barely pay any mind to what Hurley tells the media.

He says every year that he wants to play fast and wants to play 4 out. But Hurley never brought in the requisite skill to have 4 players capable of playing on the perimeter, and even with very athletic teams hasn’t gotten his teams to play uptempo.

Until he proves he can do either, it’s all just talk in my book. Hurley to this point is a slow you down and beat you up type of coach, not one who relies on any type of offensive fluidity. It’s harder to sell that to recruits though, so I don’t expect to ever hear those words from him.

Probably the biggest frustration I've had with him to date. It's okay to be a slow-paced team. He doesn't seem to understand his own coaching style leans towards that and keeps recruiting guys like Johnson and Akok who don't fit our style of play. You can't just be all talk though. Either let them run or don't. Karaban and Floyd should fit the bill of higher skill though, thankfully.

Reaction Score
in DH I trust.

Board wasn’t happy about Martin either initially
I'll be the first to eat crow:

I wouldn't say I "wasn't happy", but Tyrese's profile coming in underwhelmed me. If you asked me then, I would not have thought that Tyrese would have been a starter here, let alone a very good starter and one of our best transfers ever.

What's incredible about Tyrese is that not only did he surprise us and become a 30+ mpg player for us, but arguably had better stats at UConn than URI.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Guys who start at Illinois don't transfer to be backups at UConn. I expect whoever comes in as a depth/backup PG will be from a small school, a kid looking to play at a higher level and willing to come off the bench.

Is there anybody who fits that profile?
Well if he’s the best we can do as a starter, may as well pack up next season unless he goes through massive improvements.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

Curbelo and Andre Jackson had at least one heated battle during their final high school season. I'm inclined to think they both like the idea of sharing the court together.

Reaction Score
I know Hurley has said that he wants at least 2 high impact transfers, but I'd temper the expectations with that. This site ranks the transfers available so far. Out of the 1,000+ players in the transfer portal they rank Diggins as the 23rd best available. That should give you some perspective on what is available and what impact they may make next year. I'm hopeful, but unfortunately not expecting the transfers to make or break the 2022-2023 season.

College Basketball Transfer Portal Rankings, 2.0: New top tier headlines updated list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom