2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
The shot dipping is literally an issue I had in my own game that I had to work on to break as a bad habit. It just allows for a quicker and smoother release. Getting rid of unnecessary dips can make all the difference in the world in having a much smoother and more efficient jump shot. Ask Kemba!

Yes, let's ask Kemba:

Kemba Walker All 260 Three-Pointers Full Highlights (2018-19 Season Three-ilation Part I)

Kemba Walker All 260 Three-Pointers Full Highlights (2018-19 Season Three-ilation Part I)

Do I need to get every single catch and shoot from that season or is this enough?

Reaction Score
I don’t think we have the same definition of dipping. The main point is your jumpshot has to be one motion. Which is the case with all of those guys. They bring the ball straight up from their start point.

I mean if you want a good example of what getting rid of the real dip does just look at Kemba’s jumpshot from his freshman to senior year and tell me what changed the most about it.

Jokic has the definition of a two-motion shot dude. You really struggle in the Clingan threads.

Yes, a one-motion shot is better these days. A dip is when after you catch the ball, you bring it down. That would be what the definition of the word "dip" is in this context if you're able to apply annotations to another context with a modicum of critical thinking ability.

Some people dip more than others. Ray and Embiid dip much more than Jokic for example. And guys like Durant and Klay are so stupid talented that they've trained not to always need the dip. But they always dip when they can. And that skill is rare, and Donovan is probably YEARS from implementing that in a game if he ever does.

I get spicy about people not understanding how shooting works. It isn't 1994 anymore and coaches are still teaching kids things that are wholly detached from the reality of basketball. Even good coaches. REALLY good coaches. HOF coaches. Sorry you had to be the target of it, but you're an argumentative dude with a penchant for not thinking through what you write in Clingan threads for some reason--I swear you're two different posters.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Compre his freshman year here to his senior year here. You can also look at Lonzo’s jumper from his rookie year where he NEEDED the dip to get it off which is why he always went to the step back to now where he can raise up in one smooth motion. Yes guys are going to shoot it from the hip at times because that’s where they catch the ball or have the ball at before they go up to shoot. But it’s all one motion. Come on you can’t be serious with this. I’ve literally taught guys these forms that improved their jumpers dramatically. You HAVE to be able to get your shot off from the chest up. That doesn’t mean there won’t be times you start from the hip, but you shouldn’t only be able to make shots when you start from there to the point you only start from there.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jokic has the definition of a two-motion shot dude. You really struggle in the Clingan threads.

Yes, a one-motion shot is better these days. A dip is when after you catch the ball, you bring it down. That would be what the definition of the word "dip" is in this context if you're able to apply annotations to another context with a modicum of critical thinking ability.

Some people dip more than others. Ray and Embiid dip much more than Jokic for example. And guys like Durant and Klay are so stupid talented that they've trained not to always need the dip. But they always dip when they can. And that skill is rare, and Donovan is probably YEARS from implementing that in a game if he ever does.

I get spicy about people not understanding how shooting works. It isn't 1994 anymore and coaches are still teaching kids things that are wholly detached from the reality of basketball. Even good coaches. REALLY good coaches. HOF coaches. Sorry you had to be the target of it, but you're an argumentative dude with a penchant for not thinking through what you write in Clingan threads for some reason--I swear you're two different posters.
I mean I’ve been to Calhoun camp where they taught it and played for a top program in the state too where I was told the same thing. When I got rid of my dip my jumpshot was so much better. When I taught others who depended on their dip the same thing they were completely different shooters. This truly isn’t even an argument. Like I’m speaking from a lot of experience here. It’s a waste of time, motion, and efficiency.

Reaction Score
Compre his freshman year here to his senior year here. You can also look at Lonzo’s jumper from his rookie year where he NEEDED the dip to get it off which is why he always went to the step back to now where he can raise up in one smooth motion. Yes guys are going to shoot it from the hip at times because that’s where they catch the ball or have the ball at before they go up to shoot. But it’s all one motion. Come on you can’t be serious with this. I’ve literally taught guys these forms that improved their jumpers dramatically. You HAVE to be able to get your shot off from the chest up. That doesn’t mean there won’t be times you start from the hip, but you shouldn’t only be able to make shots when you start from there to the point you only start from there.

You're watching videos of people catching at their chest, bringing the ball down, and shooting it, and still claim they're not dipping. Give me a break. Hardly a definitive list... maybe you'll bother to actually look at the videos before typing this time.

- I think I may have actually written this article, lol.

Basketball Myth Busters - Don't dip the ball!

The 3 Shooting Secrets of GREAT Shooters

There's dozens of them out there.

Reaction Score
I mean I’ve been to Calhoun camp where they taught it and played for a top program in the state too where I was told the same thing. When I got rid of my dip my jumpshot was so much better. When I taught others who depended on their dip the same thing they were completely different shooters. This truly isn’t even an argument. Like I’m speaking from a lot of experience here.

Going to Calhoun camp means nothing. Playing for a top program in the state means nothing.

I played college basketball and was recruited for my shooting. I went to Calhoun camp and probably heard the same ish when I was 11 too. Wow, so helpful. I've coached D1 prospects known for their shooting. One of them is at a high-major school and averaged 12 points a game on 43% 3 point shooting last year. Whoop dee doo.

Individual experience is practically meaningless here. Look at the body of evidence and realize that great shooters dip. Almost exclusively.

This will be my last post on the matter. This board was more tolerable with you on ignore.

Reaction Score
You
You're doing it again...do yourself a favor and ignore every single Clingan thread until the middle of his Sophomore year at UConn. At that time, feel free to criticize anything you want. It really is getting old.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You're watching videos of people catching at their chest, bringing the ball down, and shooting it, and still claim they're not dipping. Give me a break. Hardly a definitive list... maybe you'll bother to actually look at the videos before typing this time.

Breakdown from an NBA channel. 2:30 on.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You

You're doing it again...do yourself a favor and ignore every single Clingan thread until the middle of his Sophomore year at UConn. At that time, feel free to criticize anything you want. It really is getting old.
We’re not even talking about Clingan. Y’all are just being sensitive to him for I don’t know what. We’re talking about shooting mechanics and yall are implying im arguing because of Clingan. That’s weird. It’s almost like y’all are cliquing up and acting this way just cause it’s his thread so defending this debate on jumpshots is defending him. Hop off this kids sack. I’m not even saying anything outrageous and y’all are on edge.

It’s the SAME people cliquing up too. I didn’t know this was mean girls.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I can run down my hoops resume too but I’d rather not. But I basically work very heavily in the sport.

Reaction Score

Breakdown from an NBA channel. 2:30 on.

Catches high, dips

Dips again here
How to Shoot Like Stephen Curry | NBA Breakdown

Dip

Dip

Dip

This video almost exclusively shots off the dribble 3s. The ball is already starting low when you shoot that way, so you don't need to "re dip" unless the dribble is really high. The reason why many people DO dip (especially guards) is because it allows them to shoot a catch and shoot with the same motion they would use for a dribble 3.

Come back with some real evidence bub. Find a video that says "Steph/Klay/Ray/Durant etc. do not dip the ball"--I've found you a dozen videos and articles that suggest otherwise.

Even I can find videos of great shooters not dipping the ball, and I'm not arguing that side. There's tons of videos of Klay putting the ball up from his chin and sinking 3s.

Reaction Score
I think you're right with his shot mechanics. Definitely needs to get cleaned up balance wise and shot release wise. He's a solid shooter but he's not consistent enough to feel like there's no need to adjust his shooting form. A lot of the bigs who shoot 3 s don't bring it all the way down to their waist nowadays, see Jokic and Embiid. That's just not good shot form for anyone as it makes the shot take longer and gives it more room for error on your windup.

I remember going to Calhoun's camp back when I was in like 6th grade and there was a shooting coach there to show us the proper mechanics. It's really a game changer. Right now his form is great on the release. It's his footwork that needs to get cleaned up and the windup. He should be shooting from the chest up. All that can come with quick and fast reps though.
I thought that this was about Clingan...you must have been nitpicking someone else...my bad.

Reaction Score
We’re not even talking about Clingan. Y’all are just being sensitive to him for I don’t know what. We’re talking about shooting mechanics and yall are implying im arguing because of Clingan. That’s weird. It’s almost like y’all are cliquing up and acting this way just cause it’s his thread so defending this debate on jumpshots is defending him. Hop off this kids sack. I’m not even saying anything outrageous and y’all are on edge.

It’s the SAME people cliquing up too. I didn’t know this was mean girls.
You're in a Donovan Clingan thread talking about Donovan Clingan shooting 3's and (incorrectly) critiquing the areas where Donovan Clingan needs to improve his shot. But yeah other than that nothing about Clingan

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Y’all got it man. If y’all can’t see what the clear improvements in jumpshots like Kemba and Lonzo’s were who had big issues then idk. By the way Andre Jackson has that same issue now. If he took that unnecessary dip out of his shot and learned to go straight up in one motion he’d be an improved shooter too. But this isn’t about debating how to shoot a jumper.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Catches high, dips

Dips again here

Dip

Dip

Dip

This video almost exclusively shots off the dribble 3s. The ball is already starting low when you shoot that way, so you don't need to "re dip" unless the dribble is really high. The reason why many people DO dip (especially guards) is because it allows them to shoot a catch and shoot with the same motion they would use for a dribble 3.

Come back with some real evidence bub. Find a video that says "Steph/Klay/Ray/Durant etc. do not dip the ball"--I've found you a dozen videos and articles that suggest otherwise.

Even I can find videos of great shooters not dipping the ball, and I'm not arguing that side. There's tons of videos of Klay putting the ball up from his chin and sinking 3s.

That’s exactly what I was saying. There’s no need to dip if you aren’t already shooting from that area. You even admit to finding those videos so why do I need to do it. Like this isn’t a debate on how to shoot a jumper. This is just y’all on this mans sack like he can’t get critiqued like everyone else.

Reaction Score
That’s exactly what I was saying. There’s no need to dip if you aren’t already shooting from that area. You even admit to finding those videos so why do I need to do it. Like this isn’t a debate on how to shoot a jumper. This is just y’all on this mans sack like he can’t get critiqued like everyone else.

You find that evidence of any great shooter not dipping the ball off the catch yet? Still waiting.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The shot dipping is literally an issue I had in my own game that I had to work on to break as a bad habit. It just allows for a quicker and smoother release. Getting rid of unnecessary dips can make all the difference in the world in having a much smoother and more efficient jump shot. Ask Kemba!
This is big of you to admit. Kudos

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is big of you to admit. Kudos
Thanks man that’s why I’m so adamant about it. Literally something I worked on that helped my jumper so much. It’s a game changer to be able to cut it out and get it up in one motion regardless of circumstance. Something every shooter talked about in this thread can do. If you cant do it then you need to work on doing so. I don’t think that’s something Donovan can do from 3 but he can do it from midrange from the practice clips.

Reaction Score
Thanks man that’s why I’m so adamant about it. Literally something I worked on that helped my jumper so much. It’s a game changer to be able to cut it out and get it up in one motion regardless of circumstance. Something every shooter talked about in this thread can do. If you cant do it then you need to work on doing so. I don’t think that’s something Donovan can do from 3 but he can do it from midrange from the practice clips.

1627068041913.png

Reaction Score
Want to point out the dip in Hunter’s shot for me? Appreciate it buddy.

Don’t get too much dip in ya chip son!

This back and forth is tedious, but you were presented with a mountain of evidence, written and video, that directly refutes the argument you're making, and this is your mic drop? A video of mostly post moves and blocked shots from a guy who took less than 5 outside shots all of last season?

Reaction Score

Since you posted a 6 minute video of mostly dunks and blocks, here's a 9 second clip of him shooting 3's. He brings the ball to his hip every time

Reaction Score

Dickinson took FOUR three point shots at Michigan all of last year. You cannot be serious. I believe I asked for evidence of a "great shooter" not dipping the ball. Still waiting.

The Dickinson video still has a slight dip though. It's small, but it isn't the chest and up shot you seem to think exists in the real world.

Reaction Score
This back and forth is tedious, but you were presented with a mountain of evidence, written and video, that directly refutes the argument you're making, and this is your mic drop? A video of mostly post moves and blocked shots from a guy who took less than 5 outside shots all of last season?

Sorry BigErn. I'm avoiding grad school work and being mean to people on the internet is a good way to procrastinate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom