2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
;) Been working out this summer with former East Hartford star Kahari Beaufort.

HW611 are you softening up here? Lol. Thanks for posting, Clingan will put in the work that needs to be done he knows what's at stake for his future.

Reaction Score
All that I can hope for for Donovan and for Husky nation, is that Don is working out HARD and getting in as good physical condition as possible.
Strength and conditioning is key.

Reaction Score
Clingan from 3 . . .

Really not a bad-looking stroke at all. A little awkward balance-wise and the ball is kind of too directly in front of his face I think... but there's a lot to work with here.

I'm glad he and his family are realizing a 3-ball is an important part of his game. These days if you're not a freak athlete at the 5, then you need to be able to shoot.

Ideally he can start turning these into full speed contact drills by the end of the summer with hard work.

Reaction Score
I'm curious about a coaches viewpoint. His 3 point shot is effective which is most important, however, as part of the rhythm of his shot he frequently brings the ball down to his waist to gather to raise to take the shot. It would seem the pause to make that motion allows time for a defender to close, and, the ball is vulnerable to a defender with quick hands while he is doing that. It is unavoidable when he is catching a bounce pass at his waist like the first shots in the clip. If he was down low you would have the pass high, catch high, and keep the ball high, so small players can't easily defend. On one of the passes he caught at a higher point I think he also brought the ball down to that same position to gather, raise, and shoot. Would coaches try to get the ball to him at a higher point and coach not going down to his waist as part of his 3 point shot? Or, would they not mess with the rhythm because it is effective, and just run with shots where he has the space to do what he does? Would they try to speed up that part of the rhythm? Love that the ball goes in the hoop, just curious if a coach sees something there for Donovan to improve on.

Reaction Score
A 3 ball is the difference between Dickinson being a first rounder & coming back to Michigan
You really surprised me with this comment because he took and made a large number of 3 point shots in high school at DeMatha. Your comment caused me to check his stats from last year on the CBS site, and he was only 0-4 for the whole season. I'm shocked. I think he took more than 4 threes against Mobley in one Hoophall game when he was a senior. He stepped out and drained them. His 3 point shot was why I thought he would make a huge impact at Michigan and was drastically underrated even at about #40. Thanks for mentioning this, but I assure you, he can reliably make 3 point shots, (unknown from NBA distance though).

Reaction Score
Temper the expectation. He is a kid, who does not need to be great from day one. Also, he will have a really. really good cast of players around him. I need another Final 4. 2014 seems sooooo long ago.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm curious about a coaches viewpoint. His 3 point shot is effective which is most important, however, as part of the rhythm of his shot he frequently brings the ball down to his waist to gather to raise to take the shot. It would seem the pause to make that motion allows time for a defender to close, and, the ball is vulnerable to a defender with quick hands while he is doing that. It is unavoidable when he is catching a bounce pass at his waist like the first shots in the clip. If he was down low you would have the pass high, catch high, and keep the ball high, so small players can't easily defend. On one of the passes he caught at a higher point I think he also brought the ball down to that same position to gather, raise, and shoot. Would coaches try to get the ball to him at a higher point and coach not going down to his waist as part of his 3 point shot? Or, would they not mess with the rhythm because it is effective, and just run with shots where he has the space to do what he does? Would they try to speed up that part of the rhythm? Love that the ball goes in the hoop, just curious if a coach sees something there for Donovan to improve on.
I think you're right with his shot mechanics. Definitely needs to get cleaned up balance wise and shot release wise. He's a solid shooter but he's not consistent enough to feel like there's no need to adjust his shooting form. A lot of the bigs who shoot 3 s don't bring it all the way down to their waist nowadays, see Jokic and Embiid. That's just not good shot form for anyone as it makes the shot take longer and gives it more room for error on your windup.

I remember going to Calhoun's camp back when I was in like 6th grade and there was a shooting coach there to show us the proper mechanics. It's really a game changer. Right now his form is great on the release. It's his footwork that needs to get cleaned up and the windup. He should be shooting from the chest up. All that can come with quick and fast reps though.

Reaction Score
So should I start another argument about why dipping the basketball is not a bad thing?

The best of the best like Klay Thompson can shoot with and without a dip. Even all time great shooters Like Ray and Reggie never learned to shoot with no dip. Every good shooter learns to shoot with a dip, and uses one when they have time and space. Every. Single. Good. Shooter.

It's a myth that even NBA players still believe in. It's weird. One can learn to dip as you are setting your feet to speed up the shot as they get better. The dip helps with rhythm and increases %s.

Reaction Score
See: Steph Curry, Klay Thompson

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.00.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.00.34 PM.png
    619.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.02.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.02.13 PM.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 70
Reaction Score
See: Ray Allen. Who has literally the lowest dip I have ever seen. These are both in his shooting motion off the catch... not holding the ball getting ready to shoot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.57.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.57.32 PM.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.58.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.58.22 PM.png
    520.2 KB · Views: 75
Reaction Score
See: Our friendly neighborhood big men Jokic and Embiid. Jokic has a smaller dip because he brings the ball so far behind his head to shoot it isn't as necessary. Embiid has a HUGE dip when he shoots.

It's like some of ya'll say "these guys don't dip the ball!" but don't bother to watch them shoot once. Literally once.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.02.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.02.55 PM.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 1.04.28 PM.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 74
Reaction Score
See: Steph Curry, Klay Thompson

See: Ray Allen. Who has literally the lowest dip I have ever seen. These are both in his shooting motion off the catch... not holding the ball getting ready to shoot.

See: Our friendly neighborhood big men Jokic and Embiid. Jokic has a smaller dip because he brings the ball so far behind his head to shoot it isn't as necessary. Embiid has a HUGE dip when he shoots.

It's like some of ya'll say "these guys don't dip the ball!" but don't bother to watch them shoot once. Literally once.
Now this is how you make a point!!

Reaction Score
Hope he keeps practicing ball fakes and shots and footwork when near the basket- looks decent at least in the clip. And it augments well for free-throw shooting if he has a pretty good stroke- if he can make them dependably, he'll be really valuable.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Show me the dip. Where they bring the ball down and go back up.

Jokic

Embiid
Joel Embiid All CLUTCH Shots 2020-21 NBA Season

Ray
Best Of Ray Allen | Career 3-Pointers

KD
Kevin Durant Has DEEP Range! | Deepest 3 Pointers From This NBA Season!

Those stills are probably from when they are wide open or when they caught the ball that low so they started from that low. You for sure need to know how to shoot the ball without dipping it. It’s absolutely necessary. Like I said, Calhoun literally had a shooting coach come in to show the proper way to shoot and that was one of the integral parts. Less motion = quicker and better release.

Btw the ball isn’t even at or below his waist in the Jokic example. He’s probably the best example of a big that doesn’t dip on his shot unless it’s a form of a pump fake to make the defense relax. But go off.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The shot dipping is literally an issue I had in my own game that I had to work on to break as a bad habit. It just allows for a quicker and smoother release. Getting rid of unnecessary dips can make all the difference in the world in having a much smoother and more efficient jump shot. Ask Kemba!

Reaction Score
Show me the dip. Where they bring the ball down and go back up.

Jokic

Embiid
Joel Embiid All CLUTCH Shots 2020-21 NBA Season

Ray
Best Of Ray Allen | Career 3-Pointers

KD
Kevin Durant Has DEEP Range! | Deepest 3 Pointers From This NBA Season!

Those stills are probably from when they are wide open or when they caught the ball that low so they started from that low. You for sure need to know how to shoot the ball without dipping it. It’s absolutely necessary. Like I said, Calhoun literally had a shooting coach come in to show the proper way to shoot and that was one of the integral parts. Less motion = quicker and better release.

Btw the ball isn’t even at or below his waist in the Jokic example. He’s probably the best example of a big that doesn’t dip on his shot unless it’s a form of a pump fake to make the defense relax. But go off.

Are you watching the videos at all? AT ALL?

Jokic is dipping the ball on essentially every one of these shots unless he's shooting off the dripping which has a built-in dip.

Embiid dips TWICE in the first shot of that video! And dips on every single other 3 he takes... same rule on the dribble as above.

Ray Allen dips the ball on every single catch and shoot 3 he takes in that video. Literally every single one. Below his waist. Including the most famous jumpshot in the history of NBA basketball, if that rings a bell. Look where he dips the ball on the shot. Well below his waist--much lower than most coaches would teach a new player to dip, actually.

Durant shoots off the dribble so much he has the built in dribble dip but here's a good example of his dipping on a catch: Kevin Durant Has DEEP Range! | Deepest 3 Pointers From This NBA Season!

This too Kevin Durant Has DEEP Range! | Deepest 3 Pointers From This NBA Season!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Are you watching the videos at all? AT ALL?

Jokic is dipping the ball on essentially every one of these shots unless he's shooting off the dripping which has a built-in dip.

Embiid dips TWICE in the first shot of that video! And dips on every single other 3 he takes... same rule on the dribble as above.

Ray Allen dips the ball on every single catch and shoot 3 he takes in that video. Literally every single one. Below his waist. Including the most famous jumpshot in the history of NBA basketball, if that rings a bell. Look where he dips the ball on the shot. Well below his waist--much lower than most coaches would teach a new player to dip, actually.

Durant shoots off the dribble so much he has the built in dribble dip but here's a good example of his dipping on a catch: Kevin Durant Has DEEP Range! | Deepest 3 Pointers From This NBA Season!

This too Kevin Durant Has DEEP Range! | Deepest 3 Pointers From This NBA Season!
I don’t think we have the same definition of dipping. The main point is your jumpshot has to be one motion. Which is the case with all of those guys. They bring the ball straight up from their start point.

I mean if you want a good example of what getting rid of the real dip does just look at Kemba’s jumpshot from his freshman to senior year and tell me what changed the most about it.

Reaction Score
IMO..the dip is the "trigger" to starting the shooting motion in BB as the forward press is the "trigger" to start the golf swing in golf. Starts the inertia/momentum of movement.

DC is shooting from the three point line in an empty gym with no one guarding him. A failrly relaxed setting. Put him in a live setting with a defender in his face --He will need to adjust to the pressure --Or get blocked or stripped.. Another year before he hits Storrs and begins playing vs well-conditioned and stronger defenders.

He'll figure it out. Was impressed with his stroke for a big dude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom