2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 67 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is shocking, as I thought she played well against the Huskies in her freshman season. May her dreams of finding happiness, comfort, increased playing time, etc., be fulfille.
I'm scratching my head here, too, in that La Chapell was someone Megan Duffy pursued for quite some time in recruiting...and moved into the starting line-up. Aware that Lee Volker transferred from Duke and she's another big guard/wing. Still, there was lots of playing time to be had. Maybe there's something personal going on that is driving this; otherwise, she's going to have to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
I'm scratching my head here, too, in that La Chapell was someone Megan Duffy pursued for quite some time in recruiting...and moved into the starting line-up. Aware that Lee Volker transferred from Duke and she's another big guard/wing. Still, there was lots of playing time to be had. Maybe there's something personal going on that is driving this; otherwise, she's going to have to sit out a year.
My thoughts exactly.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly.

Day-after, hometown newspaper article on Emily La Chapell leaving Marquette. On one hand, her e-mail says something, but not really anything as to what the exact reason was. Probably shouldn't expect to see anything else.

"Choosing to leave Marquette after one season is a tough decision and unrelated to any success or result on the basketball court," La Chapell said through email on Tuesday. "I appreciate all the support from Marquette and, even broader, the basketball community. I fully intended on being at Marquette for my entire college career, so my excitement for the next phase is tempered by the sadness of leaving Marquette."

Will be interesting to see where she ends up.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Very odd timing. Life would be easier had she entered the portal by May 11. Now she has to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Very odd timing. Life would be easier had she entered the portal by May 11. Now she has to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility for the upcoming season.
jack-sparrow-sinking-ship.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agreed, however obtaining a waiver is going to be harder than in previous years. It's very likely she'll be sitting out this season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Agreed, however obtaining a waiver is going to be harder than in previous years. It's very likely she'll be sitting out this season.
Here's the thing. The "deadline" for first-time transfers to enter the portal and receive automatic immediate eligibility was May 11. My belief has been that this "deadline" was implemented to limit (drastically) the number of waiver requests which would need to be submitted and then reviewed by NCAA employees; they probably could reduce their work staff (and same employee wages) based on less waiver requests to review.

In the case of Alisa Williams, she meets all the criteria to receive immediate eligibility -- other than not entering the transferring portal by May 11. So, she submits a waiver request now. What reason would the NCAA have to deny her request for immediate eligibility? Only reason would be that she entered the portal 3 weeks after that May "deadline"; it just means additional administrative work for NCAA by having to review a waiver request.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. The "deadline" for first-time transfers to enter the portal and receive automatic immediate eligibility was May 11. My belief has been that this "deadline" was implemented to limit (drastically) the number of waiver requests which would need to be submitted and then reviewed by NCAA employees; they probably could reduce their work staff (and same employee wages) based on less waiver requests to review.

In the case of Alisa Williams, she meets all the criteria to receive immediate eligibility -- other than not entering the transferring portal by May 11. So, she submits a waiver request now. What reason would the NCAA have to deny her request for immediate eligibility? Only reason would be that she entered the portal 3 weeks after that May "deadline"; it just means additional administrative work for NCAA by having to review a waiver request.

She has the meet the following criteria, summarized per this article from the Athletic.

"Now, a waiver request must meet one of three criteria: mental health, exigent circumstances outside the student’s control (such as “physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class”) or assertions involving diagnosed education-impacting disabilities."

Which of those does she meet to qualify in your opinion?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She has the meet the following criteria, summarized per this article from the Athletic.

"Now, a waiver request must meet one of three criteria: mental health, exigent circumstances outside the student’s control (such as “physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class”) or assertions involving diagnosed education-impacting disabilities."

Which of those does she meet to qualify in your opinion?
Couldn't read artcile as it's subscription-only. But, the title states "Transfer again and play right away?". That is not about first-time transfers like Alisa Williams.

I would think she would ask for a waiver simply for missing the May 11 deadline for first-time transfers to gain automatic immediate eligibility.

Reaction Score
Couldn't read artcile as it's subscription-only. But, the title states "Transfer again and play right away?". That is not about first-time transfers like Alisa Williams.

I would think she would ask for a waiver simply for missing the May 11 deadline for first-time transfers to gain automatic immediate eligibility.
I've had a different interpretation of the rule.

Based on your scenario, having a window to enter the portal would be a moot point because most of these players are first time transfers. It's like saying one overslept the day of an exam as the reason for an exemption.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I've had a different interpretation of the rule.

Based on your scenario, having a window to enter the portal would be a moot point because most of these players are first time transfers. It's like saying one overslept the day of an exam as the reason for an exemption.
Exactly. The window is to get potential transfers to make their decisions quickly. And, for the NCAA to avoid reviewing as many waiver requests as possible which I'm sure requires (paid) resources.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The window is to get potential transfers to make their decisions quickly. And, for the NCAA to avoid reviewing as many waiver requests as possible which I'm sure requires (paid) resources.
I get that perspective but it still seems counter productive. It's a dangerous loophole to have because players will figure it out (if they haven't already) and manipulate the hell out of it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I get that perspective but it still seems counter productive. It's a dangerous loophole to have because players will figure it out (if they haven't already) and manipulate the hell out of it.
I’m not sure how declaring late for the portal gives players an advantage. Most teams have already kicked the tires on transfers and signed up the ones they targeted. I would think that declaring late severely limits a player’s options.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how declaring late for the portal gives players an advantage. Most teams have already kicked the tires on transfers and signed up the ones they targeted. I would think that declaring late severely limits a player’s options.
Understood however knowing there aren't repercussions for submitting their name before the deadline removes any impact of having the rule in the first place. My understanding of the transfer window was to ensure that a player can play right away if it's their first time going into the portal.

If they can get a waiver as Southie indicated in their posts, what's the point of having one? If the player is good enough, teams will find a way to add them to their roster. They always do.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe the "deadlines" were imposed to make sure "late" defections didn't cripple a program's roster as it would be tough to add replacement transfers so late in the process. Why was May 11 selected? I don't know. Probably because it's 2-3 weeks from most schools beginning summer session classes; most teams are already conducting their summer conditioning/workouts and some allowed practice time. Transfer players who haven't found a new home yet are already somewhat behind their future teammates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alisa Williams visiting Iowa State
Interesting choice for a potential landing spot. Trying to envision how she'd fit into their style of play based on the current roster make up. Don't know enough about her game but if they see her taking over Diew's role, as this is her last season, then I get it.

Reaction Score
Interesting choice for a potential landing spot. Trying to envision how she'd fit into their style of play based on the current roster make up. Don't know enough about her game but if they see her taking over Diew's role, as this is her last season, then I get it.
She is more of a wing player but because LSU was desperate for depth in the post this past season they converted her into a post (back to the back) which is not something she does particularly well tbh.... But she is 6'2. Iowa St probably could use more size anyways... not sure honestly how that would work with the way their style of play works with lots of 3 point shooting.

Williams though was a 3 star recruit with limited offers coming out of HS. She does have some physical tools and capability but was always going to be a 3-4 years project IMO at a bigger school. So if she did end up going to Iowa St that would be interesting to see, not quit sure she is ready to contribute significantly right away.

Reaction Score
She is more of a wing player but because LSU was desperate for depth in the post this past season they converted her into a post (back to the back) which is not something she does particularly well tbh.... But she is 6'2. Iowa St probably could use more size anyways... not sure honestly how that would work with the way their style of play works with lots of 3 point shooting.

Williams though was a 3 star recruit with limited offers coming out of HS. She does have some physical tools and capability but was always going to be a 3-4 years project IMO at a bigger school. So if she did end up going to Iowa St that would be interesting to see, not quit sure she is ready to contribute significantly right away.
Thanks for the insight. Diew has been used as both a post and wing however I think her strength is when she plays the wing position. We'll see what pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom