2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 66 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aside from those 5 I think Baylor, Michigan, Ole Miss and Miami really helped themselves with both quantity and quality.
I'd throw in TCU as well

Considering where that program has been, what they have added in this offseason has been impressive. I'll be interested to see what it actually ends up looking like.

Reaction Score
I'd throw in TCU as well

Considering where that program has been, what they have added in this offseason has been impressive. I'll be interested to see what it actually ends up looking like.
Not only did they have a miserable year, but they lost their best (by far and away) 4 players. Thankfully, Campbell had experience with a hyperspeed revival of a miserable (from their inception) program over the previous 2 seasons. I don't know about this year, but I think that he will definitely make noise in a Big 12 sans TX & OK in the years to come.

Reaction Score
Not only did they have a miserable year, but they lost their best (by far and away) 4 players. Thankfully, Campbell had experience with a hyperspeed revival of a miserable (from their inception) program over the previous 2 seasons. I don't know about this year, but I think that he will definitely make noise in a Big 12 sans TX & OK in the years to come.
Who do u think there starting lineup will be. Will it be all transfers,?

Reaction Score
Who do u think there starting lineup will be. Will it be all transfers,?
I think that the 6 transfers will be amongst the 7-8 player rotation. They might need a little more size at the 4, opening up a spot for a non-transfer. I was actually surprised that he didn't get the post player (Iowa St) nor the sharpshooter (NC St) that transferred from Sac St.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think that the 6 transfers will be amongst the 7-8 player rotation. They might need a little more size at the 4, opening up a spot for a non-transfer. I was actually surprised that he didn't get the post player (Iowa St) nor the sharpshooter (NC St) that transferred from Sac St.
Recruiting college athletes certainly has taken on a new dynamic. Gone are the days when coaches only had the option of subscribing to scouting services, relying on tips and recommendations from their AAU coaching associates, traveling to the four corners of the country looking at prospects in person, and spending endless hours trying to secure and watch videotapes of players of interest.

Now they need only monitor the transfer portal and contact those players (all of whom have at least 1 year of college-level experience) they're interested in to see if there's any "mutual" interest. All or most of this can be done over the phone, which substantially cuts down on travel expenses and time living out of a suitcase/travel bag. :D With the mass exoduses some coaches are experiencing, the portal is a life and program saver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recruiting college athletes certainly has taken on a new dynamic. Gone are the days when coaches only had the option of subscribing to scouting services, relying on tips and recommendations from their AAU coaching associates, traveling to the four corners of the country looking at prospects in person, and spending endless hours trying to secure and watch videotapes of players of interest.

Now they need only monitor the transfer portal and contact those players (all of whom have at least 1 year of college-level experience) they're interested in to see if there's any "mutual" interest. All or most of this can be done over the phone, which substantially cuts down on travel expenses and time living out of a suitcase/travel bag. :DWith the mass exoduses some coaches are experiencing, the portal is a life and program saver.
Life and program saver for some, coach and program destroyer for others.

But to your point, national champ LSU's 8 person rotation consisted of 1 player from last year and 0 from the preceeding year. New TCU coach Campbell took over a 3 win Sac St. team -- after receiving a commitment from a former ESPN top 5 prospect (DeCosta) as a transfer that didn't work out, still proceeded to acquire the last 2 Big Sky POYs as 5th year graduate students through the portal (amongst others, which led to a program-best team and NCAA tourney entry as a 13 seed).

Another huge impact that the portal has had (others have mentioned), is on underclassmen that are annually being replaced with incoming transfers. This combined with the 5th year eligibility rule (which will pretty much go away after 24-25), has altered the way that many players recruited by a school progress with regards to playing time. This results in them transferring and the cycle perpetuates itself.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Per @Tangential :

"Another huge impact that the portal has had (others have mentioned), is on underclassmen that are annually being replaced with incoming transfers. This combined with the 5th year eligibility rule (which will pretty much go away after 24-25), has altered the way that many players recruited by a school progress with regards to playing time. This results in them transferring and the cycle perpetuates itself."

Yes, this "transferring over" or what I call the "layering effect" can be seen at many schools. One example at a school that does this a lot is Payton Verhulst, who after seeing transfer Emily Engstler graduate, then saw Louisville Head Coach Walz bring in Morgan Jones at the wing position. Verhulst blew out of there before Christmas, transferred to Oklahoma and let prospects know what questions to really ask when being recruited. BTW, Jones never really took off for Walz and is now gone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Per @Tangential :

"Another huge impact that the portal has had (others have mentioned), is on underclassmen that are annually being replaced with incoming transfers. This combined with the 5th year eligibility rule (which will pretty much go away after 24-25), has altered the way that many players recruited by a school progress with regards to playing time. This results in them transferring and the cycle perpetuates itself."

Yes, this "transferring over" or what I call the "layering effect" can be seen at many schools. One example at a school that does this a lot is Payton Verhulst, who after seeing transfer Emily Engstler graduate, then saw Coach Walz bring in Morgan Jones at the wing position. Verhulst blew out of there before Christmas, transferred to Oklahoma and let prospects know what questions to really ask when being recruited. BTW, Jones never really took off for Walz and is now gone.
Sticking the upper half of the ACC, another great example is NC St., where the combination of the "layering effect" and 5th year eligibility, resulted in many highly-ranked recruits bolting. They brought in Diamond Johnson (who is now in the portal again) & Raina Perez (both inbound transfer and 5 year player) in addition to Kayla Jones & Kai Crutchfield using their 5th year, leading to the consequences of Genesis Bryant, Jada Rice, D Waggoner, etc. transferring out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Interesting twist to the transfer rule changes I wasn't aware of.

So a Freshman can transfer to a new school, and quit the team and have a scholarship for the remaining 3 years?

Reaction Score
So a Freshman can transfer to a new school, and quit the team and have a scholarship for the remaining 3 years?

That's how I took it. With this coming from an assistant coach with Fairfield, I take him at his word.

sun

Reaction Score
The student can still opt to transfer to another school or turn pro.

8/31/2022
"NCAA rules now will require any school that considers athletics when awarding scholarships to transfer student-athletes to provide that scholarship for the rest of a student's five-year eligibility or until they complete the requirements for their bachelor's degree, unless the student transfers again or engages in professional athletics opportunities. "

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ashley Owusu tweeted that she's in Texas. Her IG story showed her shooting hoops with Jaden Owens; so, guessing she's visiting TCU in Fort Worth.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Ashley Owusu tweeted that she's in Texas. Her IG story showed her shooting hoops with Jaden Owens; so, guessing she's visiting TCU in Fort Worth.

I can see it! She would step into a situation where a new coach can plug her into a lineup where an existing team may have an established group (VT). She is a great player and Mark Campbell may just be a good coach for her!! Regardless of where she goes I have my eye on TCU.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a player that didn't have any professional hopes could transfer to another school for largely academic reasons, quit and then get a degree from a more prestigious school.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This is an example of why the portal isn't really closed. In order to play next season, she will have to sit a year or file a waiver.
I think folks have been using the incorrect terms. The portal does "open" and "close" as per scheduled dates. But, the May 11 deadline was for those first-time transfers who wanted automatic immediate eligibility at their next school; it definitely wasn't a portal closure date.

The portal had officially "opened" some time in March, I believe.

Reaction Score
I think folks have been using the incorrect terms. The portal does "open" and "close" as per scheduled dates. But, the May 11 deadline was for those first-time transfers who wanted automatic immediate eligibility at their next school; it definitely wasn't a portal closure date.

The portal had officially "opened" some time in March, I believe.

There is no date to enter the portal. Just for the one time transfer rule

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There is no date to enter the portal. Just for the one time transfer rule
Yes, there is. And, different for each sport.

For football:

When Is the College Football Transfer Portal Deadline?​

The spring window for the CFB transfer portal opens on April 15, 2023. The 15-day opportunity for players to enter their names into the national database will close on April 30, 2023. Once that window is closed, players will not be able to enter the portal until after the 2023 college football regular season is completed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69