2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 17 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can’t see it. She started at ISU and at Iowa she’d be a sub. But she is a Midwest girl and may not want to go too far away. If she were willing to move, Duke or UNC could really use a shooting guard who plays excellent D. In the B1G only IU really looks like a good fit for her, and Moren is a player friendly coach. One out of the box idea for her would be Stanford, who desperately needs someone like her. But I don’t know if Tara takes transfers.
Yes, please come to Duke. Just what we need!

Reaction Score
Now we really start seeing some high value assets. ...
Donarski didn't shoot the ball well at all this year. 38% fg and 31.8% from 3, while playing 35.5 minutes per game. Those are not good shooting numbers.

Reaction Score
We actually met with someone from the Arizona athletics department. Word from there is that Adia's problem is that she doesn't manage personalities and playing time very well. She isn't personally disliked by the players, in fact she's a

I really like Adia, but when you have a weakness you need to address it. That is my main concern, that she doesn't seem able to change.
Coaching, particularly at the highest level, is becoming increasingly challenging and difficult as well as pressured by the changing landscape of college athletics.

That said, managing player personalities and playing time are at the heart of successful head coaching. This coach's inability or below average performance in this area coupled with your assessment of her inability to change certainly does mean a problem down in the Old Pueblo.

The rapid pace of change institutionally (portal, NIL, a generation of players who are entitled) is sweeping campuses well beyond the dirty t.

Think about how many times Geno has commented on, in particular the changing player. While his style is to make a point by exaggeration it's clear that even with the type of character and attitude he recruits he has trouble getting through to them at times.

Reaction Score
After awhile, HS recruits will start to wonder about these kinds of situations. Or, at least, I think they should...With that covid year coming to an end soon, most players will have four short years to get the most out of the situation. Be your own best patient: only talk to a doctor -- coach -- who will talk back honestly and then, just as importantly, walk the talk.
I think this is an extremely important point. High school athletes have become increasingly sophisticated and perhaps equally increasingly entitled and if you recruit those kind of kids I think you're setting yourself up for a situation that at best ends up like Waltz at Louisville and at worst what appears to be happening in the Old Pueblo.

I think it's going to be increasingly difficult to sustain a program in this landscape with coaches like Waltz and to a lesser extent Barnes.

Concommitment with this is the disintegration of the Pac-12. The kitties I think will need to be open-eyed until they finally end up either in the Big 12 (or Mountain West LOL) of what type of player will respond to Barne's recruiting. That is players who want it now and perhaps even need it now giving the uncertainty of the environment in which they're trying to advance their skill set and careers.

I will say this. With all her limitations Barnes still can bring in elite athletes and while she appears to be challenged in keeping them or melding them into a multi-year team that is certainly more than what the Sun Devils have managed to do since CTT''s retirement. The dumpster fire in Tempe is multi-year and until Ray Anderson leaves may be multi-generational.

So in a glaring insight into the obvious there are programs far more challenged than Tucson.

Reaction Score
With all her limitations Barnes still can bring in elite athletes
Adia will have 3 elite recruits in Nnaji, Williams, and Cunningham. This is her chance to show she can develop them into the core of a 3/4 year team. She’ll need to bring in some transfers for the fall. But if she does so in a way that shoves those three to the bench, it will undermine her program even more.

Reaction Score
I think this is an extremely important point. High school athletes have become increasingly sophisticated and perhaps equally increasingly entitled and if you recruit those kind of kids I think you're setting yourself up for a situation that at best ends up like Waltz at Louisville and at worst what appears to be happening in the Old Pueblo.

I think it's going to be increasingly difficult to sustain a program in this landscape with coaches like Waltz and to a lesser extent Barnes.

Concommitment with this is the disintegration of the Pac-12. The kitties I think will need to be open-eyed until they finally end up either in the Big 12 (or Mountain West LOL) of what type of player will respond to Barne's recruiting. That is players who want it now and perhaps even need it now giving the uncertainty of the environment in which they're trying to advance their skill set and careers.

I will say this. With all her limitations Barnes still can bring in elite athletes and while she appears to be challenged in keeping them or melding them into a multi-year team that is certainly more than what the Sun Devils have managed to do since CTT''s retirement. The dumpster fire in Tempe is multi-year and until Ray Anderson leaves may be multi-generational.

So in a glaring insight into the obvious there are programs far more challenged than Tucson.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe Walz was able to sign any 4 or 5 star recruits in the Class of 2023

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe Walz was able to sign any 4 or 5 star recruits in the Class of 2023
Yep, I was looking back over at least the time that Barnes has been in the dirty t and certainly Waltz's career up to 2022 recruiting the class of 23.

While it's dangerous to extrapolate from a single data point perhaps 2023 shows the fulcrum, that is how it's going, in the present and future, to be difficult to be a coach and a recruiter like Waltz or Barnes and have any long-term future although Waltz seems to have had a pretty good run if 2023 signals the beginning of the end.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yep, I was looking back over at least the time that Barnes has been in the dirty t and certainly Waltz's career up to 2022 recruiting the class of 23.

While it's dangerous to extrapolate from a single data point perhaps 2023 shows the fulcrum, that is how it's going, in the present and future, to be difficult to be a coach and a recruiter like Waltz or Barnes and have any long-term future although Waltz seems to have had a pretty good run if 2023 signals the beginning of the end.
Adia will probably be fine. Arizona did have quite a good year. As I said, the fellow I was meeting with said that ultimately she needs an experienced assistant to help handle the balancing of playing time.

One other factor - it applies to Arizona and other schools at various times - if you recollect or knew, Rutgers attracted a Fab 5 recruiting class after their 2007 Final Four runner-up and Imus situation. They were not largely the type of players Vivian recruited and they were not only not terribly successful, they actually caused the program to take a step back from which it never really recovered. One was gone before the season because (as Vivian said) "we are not California cool, we are blue collar workers". Another left after a season and the others never performed up to the hype.

This is analogous to Arizona - Adia has had an abundance of players that want to come and she has largely taken them. She ended up this season with, as I described above, a bunch of players that all wanted playing time and all wanted to be the hero every game. Oddly, they weren't so much selfish as just uncoordinated with each other.

This accumulation of really good players following a success (and Geno had it as well, but his worked out with the Bird, etc. class, also a Fab 5 I think) happens a lot and for every UConn there are plenty of Rutgers and Arizona stories (most being somewhere in between). Food for thought.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Wonder what she's looking for.
C Kohl was originally recruited by Coach McCray-Penson at Old Dominion. When Coach McCray-Penson got the Mississippi State job, she desperately needed some size and offered Kohl. From the onset it was known Kohl would need a lot of development in her strength and quickness. Even last season she didn’t play much until she literally was the only post player on the roster. This season J Carter and D Carter returned and R Parker transferred in.
C Kohl is a great person and outstanding teammate. She has great size but needs to go to a midmajor to have an opportunity to compete. I commend her for taking the opportunity to play P5 basketball and completing her undergraduate degree so fast.

Reaction Score

Surprise? Yes and no. If anything, her personal team is pushing this similar to what happened to her former HS team mate Lattimore when she transferred from Texas.

Does it make sense? Academically, no. She can handle the academics. Playing style, maybe, because she wasn't allowed to do what she's used to doing.

Will be interesting to see where she lands.

Reaction Score
or 3 stars or 2 stars or 1 stars. There is no Louisville recruiting class for 2023

Reaction Score
Surprise? Yes and no. If anything, her personal team is pushing this similar to what happened to her former HS team mate Lattimore when she transferred from Texas.

Does it make sense? Academically, no. She can handle the academics. Playing style, maybe, because she wasn't allowed to do what she's used to doing.

Will be interesting to see where she lands.
She has many options and many teams (Stanford, LSU, USC, VA Tech, Syracuse, NC State, TN) could use her.

Reaction Score
Marketing her team wants to have in place? Is she this business-like in her approach? I'm not going to lie, I don't know much about Day-Wilson. This seems like a lot

Very. There's been a plan in place for her for years. If you scan her social media and her former team Sisterskeeper, there are various posts designed to promote her and Lattimore, etc.

In many articles in Canada, her cousin-manager has been very upfront on what their goals are (WNBA, marketing, etc.).
He even once said in an interview that his goal was to make her a bigger name than Kia Nurse.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Based on the conglomeration of all your posts, if the emphasis is on Day-Wilson, it would strike me that she' like to find a somewhat situation that allows her to be the focal point of the conversation in order to build her brand. And while some of those schools are solid programs (Miami), some are not. With that in mind:

• I thought of Miami for the same reason (Lattimore reunion), plus I'm pretty sure the Cavinders were one and done. Gosh knows, Katie needs scoring help.
  • Not sure about Syracuse, Dyasha Fair and Georgia Wooley are still in the Dome and they're Coach F-L's bedrocks.
  • Which leads to schools that need players and scoring badly:
-- In the ACC: BC, GT, (the new) Pitt.
-- In the SEC: Auburn, Kentucky, Florida (but I just can't see her in rural Alabama or Lexington).
-- In the B1G: Rutgers. Coquese Washington knows her and works with a lot of varied personalities. And she needs players.
Could be a quid-pro-quo.

From an Irish perspective, I thank every day for 'Liv Miles, Hannah Hidalgo and Soni Citron. ;)
I'll take her on Rutgers. :D

Reaction Score
All this talk of her handler-cousin sounds terrible. I think most coaches would steer clear of her just for that reason. I’m sure Geno would, probably Ivey and others too. I’m surprised Lawson was willing to take her knowing the baggage she came with.

Reaction Score
She sounds like a real sweetheart. While it would appear to be her choice to advance and promote her brand, we also know that it’s not always solely the player’s decision to head for the portal. Lawson’s no fool.

Fair enough however with both Day-Wilson and Oliver in the portal, what would be Lawson's logic if it was her decision to encourage them to leave? Does she think Richardson and Jackson are enough to improve that position? Does her 2023 class have a PG who will be able to take the reins and run the offence? Heck, will her offense change and become more effective?

Purely rhetorical questions, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom