2022-23 Roster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Roster

Reaction Score
I like the way this looks. A nice young team building chemistry as they grow

I would love Angel Reese and a strong graduate transfer Guard (Dijonai Carrington) like to come to Storrs in the fall.
Carrington is in the WNBA already, and even if she wasn't, I wouldn't want her.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. The table shows 11 players for this year -take Paige out and that’s 10. Hmmm.
Did Uconn bring on a guard for this year from Portugal? I saw some initial news then nothing as follow up or confirmation.
That table was from March 22. Things have changed quite a bit since then. And yes, we now have Inez from Portugal. It has been all over UConn pages. She's committed.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. The table shows 11 players for this year -take Paige out and that’s 10. Hmmm.
Did Uconn bring on a guard for this year from Portugal? I saw some initial news then nothing as follow up or confirmation.
Yes, INES BETTENCOURT from the Azores, - "an autonomous region of Portugal". A long story, see
the other threat. It starts with her "originally committed to play at Northwest Florida, a junior college"
She will wear jersey # 21. My fantasy is that Jose Fernandez, the USF Head Coach, steered Geno
to this athletic Point Guard. See an article about INES in SB Nation, by Daniel Connelly, among other
references noted in the BONEYARD Blog and elsewhere. There are highlights and some YouTube
games of Portugal on the internet. Portugal came in # 2 at the U 18 FIBA Women's World
Cup , division B, in Sofia, during late July through August 7th. She was on the all tournament team.

Reaction Score
Along with reese transferring to LSU i doubt she leaves there saw her on bourbon street with hannah Gusters during music festival she was so tall and having a great time. She will finish her career at LSU for sure.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As a fan of the Conn. Sun, I have seen DJ Carrington become a very important bench player for the team. Even more surprising, she is fast becoming my favorite player on the team. I cringed when she was first drafted, and though it was very ironic based on her previous performance with Baylor against UConn, but now I love watching her play. Sometimes she forces shots, but her drive rivals Alyssa Thomas.

Reaction Score
We did seem to want her a couple years ago. I didn’t really follow her until Baylor, but I was impressed with her that season. The complaining about a call after losing to us wasn’t a good look, but in my view that reflects more on the coach than the player. Part of a coach’s job is to encourage players to think better of such things.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We did seem to want her a couple years ago. I didn’t really follow her until Baylor, but I was impressed with her that season. The complaining about a call after losing to us wasn’t a good look, but in my view that reflects more on the coach than the player. Part of a coach’s job is to encourage players to think better of such things.
Carrington had a very good year with Baylor up until the Elite-8 game. During that 19-0 UConn run in the second half, she forced several shots, committed 2 bad charging calls and lost Paige on defense a bunch of times allowing her to score 10 of UConn’s 19 pts during that run.

The last play was certainly controversial, and while it looked like a foul in slow motion, at full speed I can certainly understand the refs not blowing their whistles at that point in the game.

Reaction Score
Carrington had a very good year with Baylor up until the Elite-8 game. During that 19-0 UConn run in the second half, she forced several shots, committed 2 bad charging calls and lost Paige on defense a bunch of times allowing her to score 10 of UConn’s 19 pts during that run.

The last play was certainly controversial, and while it looked like a foul in slow motion, at full speed I can certainly understand the refs not blowing their whistles at that point in the game.
And if you play smash mouth basketball, you shouldn’t expect the refs to bail you out at the last second. Carrington had an open jumper one dribble before she got to Aaliyah and Olivia. i suspect Kim instructed her to get fouled. Sometimes that works on the refs, but not often in the closing seconds of a huge game. The real reason they lost is because they couldn’t keep Paige from scoring when it mattered.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And if you play smash mouth basketball, you shouldn’t expect the refs to bail you out at the last second. Carrington had an open jumper one dribble before she got to Aaliyah and Olivia. i suspect Kim instructed her to get fouled. Sometimes that works on the refs, but not often in the closing seconds of a huge game. The real reason they lost is because they couldn’t keep Paige from scoring when it mattered.
An aspect of that play which (to my knowledge) no one has commented on is that after Dijonae took and missed the shot on which she claimed she was fouled, Christyn boxed out Nalyssa Smith to get the rebound. Given Nalyssa's size advantage over Christyn, if she had been hustling as she should have been, she could and should have grabbed that rebound and had a putback to win the game for Baylor. Christyn had just missed two crucial free throws, so she deserves credit for playing alertly and positioning herself for the rebound rather than moping about the missed free throws.

Reaction Score
The times are a changing with NIL etc. Did anyone else notice that the official UCONN WBB roster now list twitter, Instagram and TicTok for all the players?

I don't think this is solely because of NIL. I've noticed this with other teams for a few years. Social media engagement is just as important for the programs as it is for the players.

Reaction Score
Along with reese transferring to LSU i doubt she leaves there saw her on bourbon street with hannah Gusters during music festival she was so tall and having a great time. She will finish her career at LSU for sure.

I hope she doesn't adapt the Gusters fitness program.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ok, so rather than have a weird status for Jana, I'm just going to include her with this year's freshman class. Again, no assumptions made on players opting to take redshirt years, as the whole covid year was hard enough to deal with, LOL.
1674508959258.png

Reaction Score
Ok, so rather than have a weird status for Jana, I'm just going to include her with this year's freshman class. Again, no assumptions made on players opting to take redshirt years, as the whole covid year was hard enough to deal with, LOL.
View attachment 83359
What is the point of this chart? It is wrong. Jana and Ice will technically be first year players next year... so they should be in with Arnold, Samuels, and Shade.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
What is the point of this chart? It is wrong. Jana and Ice will technically be first year players next year... so they should be in with Arnold, Samuels, and Shade.
Disagree. They are both freshmen right now, as they are enrolled at UConn. I'm not counting redshirt years as there's no guarantee that a player will take it, and not assuming anything regarding Jana's status as to how long she stays/plays.

Reaction Score
Off topic but it’s weird to NOT see a ranking number next to Lou’s name. How was she not heavily sought after at start of her college career?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Off topic but it’s weird to NOT see a ranking number next to Lou’s name. How was she not heavily sought after at start of her college career?
Foreign players frequently are not ranked on US HS recruiting lists. There is an occasional Canadian player ranked. But that’s about it. Lou played in France and was certainly “under the radar” before showing up at mid-major Fairfield U.

Reaction Score
Probably not playing an exhausting AAU schedule.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I understand the point of this chart and find it very informational and am really, really glad that the effort is put in by @BRS24 to produce and update it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Glad to see you added LLS. I still don't understand what the numerals represent in each chart.
HS Rankings. All a bit subjective, however it's just a reference to see where recruits were ranked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom