2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
Followup on Joe Moorhead:

I just watched a recent video of Moorhead vs one from a year ago. Maybe it's the full gray beard, but he looks like he has aged in the last year. Maybe it's his medical condition.

Reaction Score
I just watched a recent video of Moorhead vs one from a year ago. Maybe it's the full gray beard, but he looks like he has aged in the last year. Maybe it's his medical condition.
I'm roughly the same age. When he was at UConn he looked a lot older than me. I've caught him in the gray beard department.

Reaction Score
Butch Davis is retiring from FAU at season's end... HC search starting there as well (hoping we don't lose out on our guy to them):

Reaction Score
why would you want to be the number 7 coach in Florida (maybe even lower than some FCS) ... or the number 1 coach in New England State U?

Maybe I am delusional

Reaction Score

-> UConn: Randy Edsall

Original grades
  • ESPN: C+
  • CBS: D
  • SI: B-
  • Fox Sports: N/A
  • SB Nation: C+
Regrade: F

UConn returned to the man who took the program to the FBS level and a Fiesta Bowl, trying to re-create previous magic. But Edsall’s second stint was a disaster. He went 6-32 and stepped down two games into the 2021 season. Half of those six wins came against FCS teams, and the 2018 defense was statistically the worst in college football history. The Huskies also left the AAC and the football program became an independent. Their long-term future faces a lot of questions. <-

Reaction Score

-> UConn: Randy Edsall

Original grades
  • ESPN: C+
  • CBS: D
  • SI: B-
  • Fox Sports: N/A
  • SB Nation: C+
Regrade: F

UConn returned to the man who took the program to the FBS level and a Fiesta Bowl, trying to re-create previous magic. But Edsall’s second stint was a disaster. He went 6-32 and stepped down two games into the 2021 season. Half of those six wins came against FCS teams, and the 2018 defense was statistically the worst in college football history. The Huskies also left the AAC and the football program became an independent. Their long-term future faces a lot of questions. <-

Guess there is nothing lower than an F.

Reaction Score
In summary, do whatever Cincinnati does. Stay close to home, and get a guy who has been a part of winning programs.

Reaction Score
Yes, it’s Wolken but interesting commentary nonetheless:

-> North Texas: Coach Seth Littrell’s career arc should be a cautionary tale for any Group of Five coach who has some success but doesn’t get the heck out at the first opportunity. After winning nine games in his second and third seasons, including a trip to the Conference USA championship game, Littrell looked like the next hot coaching prospect from the Air Raid family. But after the 2018 season, Littrell never quite got to the finish line after serious discussions with Kansas State. At that point, he was the highest-paid coach in C-USA and North Texas continued to invest in his contract and his staff. But the returns are diminishing — quickly. The Mean Green probably isn’t C-USA’s worst team, but at 1-5 (with the lone win coming against Northwestern State) and coming off a 49-21 home loss to Marshall, it’d be hard to tell the difference. North Texas is 6-12 in the league since 2019 and headed for its third straight losing season, and now he’s far more likely to be fired than to get promoted to the Power Five. <-

Reaction Score
In summary, do whatever Cincinnati does. Stay close to home, and get a guy who has been a part of winning programs.
Cincinnati's home is a bit more fertile that UConn's. That said, I like HC's coach. Heck, even Yales's.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati's home is a bit more fertile that UConn's. That said, I like HC's coach. Heck, even Yales's.

I would expect Cheney to at least get an interview. Is Mangini off the market?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I can think of a half dozen B12 schools and a handful of SEC schools that will take him right now. No one else need apply as he is a geographic anomaly. I don't even think any FL school should bother. Maybe he'd go to Missouri, but TX, LA, MS, GA is his area. Tennessee might want to kick the tires though.

Reaction Score
I would expect Cheney to at least get an interview. Is Mangini off the market?
I wouldn't want Magini. He's an ornery type with no history if recruiting. We need a guy who is going to energize the fan base with his results and maybe when he takes the podium as well. Mangini can be a bit of rooster.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There are some tasty names right there.

Kiffin would be huge but I wouldn't do it.

I don't see Franklin going from Happy Valley to Death Valley.

Stoops I could see.

Reaction Score

This is stunning but Orgeron has always seemed overrated to me. But he did win a national Chip with Joe Burrow and that stacked team. I just feel like his tough guy act runs stale quick.

Reaction Score
There are some tasty names right there.

Kiffin would be huge but I wouldn't do it.

I don't see Franklin going from Happy Valley to Death Valley.

Stoops I could see.

The Athletic pitching Jimbo as well…

->Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher has been linked to the LSU job many times, including back when he was the Florida State head coach, because he worked at LSU from 2000 to ’06. Current LSU athletic director Scott Woodward hired Fisher away from Tallahassee to College Station with a massive 10-year, $75 million contract. That has since been extended through 2031 and Fisher’s salary has risen to $9 million. Could or would LSU be willing to pay even more than that? Well, it helps that Fisher has no buyout owed if he leaves. <-

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority in this thinking, but with Cincy set to join the Big XII I don’t see USC as a major step up. PAC-12 is not that much better and I get it’s a school with history, but he’s got perennial top 10 teams where he is currently, why leave to start over elsewhere?
USC is just not a place to go these days. Pete Carrol had the rare, flakey perspective that fit into that peculiar culture and was able to motivate the players and fanbase. Fickle is a straight down the middle guy with a great opportunity in front of him with $$ to follow.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Please stop with the Holy Cross or Yale talk. There's a greater likelihood that a "never before' HC with a vision and a plan--and a team of assistants already in place will be here than any current HC at an FCS school.
I don't know if I would rule out any coach from FCS....but I wasn't impressed with the HC or the Yale coach. Especially the Yale coach. Lots of questionable decisions yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom