2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
Fickell to USC reminds me of Charlie Strong to Texas. The coaches themselves may be nothing alike, but the trajectory. USC is much more prestigious and LA has pluses and minuses. The Fickell's have 6 kids.

"Fickell's eldest son, Landon, committed to Cincinnati as an offensive guard out of Moeller High School as part of the 2021 recruitment class."

Reaction Score
Fickell's an Ohio guy through and through, and he's a devout catholic. His wife and kids are embedded in Cincinnati. I think he stays at UC unless and until one of two jobs opens up -- Ohio State or Notre Dame. I can't imagine him taking a job on the west coast regardless of the perceived prestige or the money. It isn't as if he worried about where his next meal is coming from.

Reaction Score
Fickell makes 3.4M at Cincy. Helton made 4.6M. So I think it would take much more than money to convince him to move. When you factor in cost of living, 4.6M in SoCal is not much more money than 3.4M in Cincy. Plus like other's have said he's a midwest / Ohio guy with six kids with one on the roster. I think USC will quickly be moving on to their 2nd choice.

Reaction Score
1631620947273.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They should be, but it's a bit hard to argue that they really are. They've had only 3 10+ win seasons since Carroll left after 2009. That's really underwhelming. Oregon clearly took over the Pac 12 for a while, til they stumbled. Now it's fairly much up for grabs.

Washington had a good stretch as the top team under Don James, long before Oregon ever amounted to anything. USC is still the constant. They have the best history, the most money, biggest name and will always be able to come back with the right person running things.

Fickell would be a solid choice, they absolutely have to get somebody who isn't already a USC guy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington had a good stretch as the top team under Don James, long before Oregon ever amounted to anything. USC is still the constant. They have the best history, the most money, biggest name and will always be able to come back with the right person running things.

Fickell would be a solid choice, they absolutely have to get somebody who isn't already a USC guy.
USC to me is kinda like Texas. A sleeping giant that I just keep waiting and waiting and waiting for them to be as good as they should be.

Even 'Bama has had a few lulls off and on, so I guess any of those legendary programs can be revived w/ the right coach....but apparently getting the right coach is harder than it should be in some cases.

Reaction Score

Just for chuckles I thought I would make the same comparison for Saban. Had to use BHM rather than Tuscaloosa, since they do not have data. USC would have to pay $13,767,000. for Saban. Uconn, using Hartford as the comp, would have to only pay $10,781,000. Time for a Yard fund raiser?

Reaction Score
I 100% agree, but there is also a boatload of expectations. If you go there and succeed obviously it’s the right choice at probably close to $5mil/yr, but if you fail and are out of that job within 4-5 years do you look back and see a job where you could have stayed that’s going to a P5ish conference where if you continue to succeed you can probably make $3.5-4mil/year for decades to come. And, if you don’t think he can have a perennial Top 10 team in the Big XII with Cincy, I would say the same can apply at USC. I fully get he will likely make this jump for prestige alone, I’m just saying it’s not jumping from a Coastal Carolina or somewhere that you will always be in an inferior conference and is a no brainer.
Successful coaches believe in themselves. A young successful coach even more so. Failure isn't in their vocabulary, especially one who hasn't experienced it yet. Even if he doesn't do well and is there only for the one contract, its $20-$25 million later. To someone's comment earlier, "that's generational money".

Reaction Score
And Urban will be in
There's a better chance Ray Meyer will come back from the dead and switch to football than Urban taking that job. Usc needs to get a proven west coast recruiter. There is way to much competition for good players these days to get kids to go all the way out there. They have to get someone who knows and has ties to Cali.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There's a better chance Ray Meyer will come back from the dead and switch to football than Urban taking that job. Usc needs to get a proven west coast recruiter. There is way to much competition for good players these days to get kids to go all the way out there. They have to get someone who knows and has ties to Cali.
Meyer probably isn't going there because he is only two games in to his Jaguar career.

But...they would take Meyer in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter if he has west coast ties. He recruited well at bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. The guy can recruit anywhere.

Reaction Score
Interesting read…

Football is a tackling and blocking game, and we don’t do either one very well. That’s coaching. It’s such a discouraging thing to watch.”

We talking about Miami or UConn here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom